Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 28 February 2008, 03:56
Violent Social Worker

That was a great book. Doesn't sound like an interesting premise, but it was. Try "Fist of God" or whatever the title is, it's a fictionalized account of Saddam's efforts to build the super gun.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 28 February 2008, 06:44
Scotty's Mommy

Team of Rivals

Just started Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Godwin. So far it's very good.

http://www.amazon.com/Team-Rivals-Do.../dp/0684824906
Old 29 February 2008, 19:25
Nec Aspera Terrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto
Fofo,
Let me know how your book on DNA goes. The one I mentioned was pretty cool because I had the same thoughts as the author when I was learning biology.
I just finished the book, going slower than hoped while in the doctor's office today. I'd say it was a good read, certainly a lot information in there I cannot fully-appreciate. However, I did get more than the gist of it. The book does a good job explaining just how much in-common all Humans are, and DNA makes that even closer. The author explains in fair detail the migration patterns of our predecessors, and our ancestors, as well as doccumenting the huge amount of work done globally as part of the Genographic Project.

In a nutshell, anyone who wants to know about Human migration, mutation and to an extant, evolution - This book does a good job showing how we got to where we are now, and from how and where. It's a fairly small book (246 pages) and cheap - 17 Canadian Dollars.

Mephisto - Interesting book you read. I watched a video with the author on Youtube. I cannot say if he's crazy or not, but I certainly am curious enough to consider purchasing the book and read it myself, see what he says in detail.

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."

Last edited by Fofo; 29 February 2008 at 19:36.
Old 1 March 2008, 12:32
Rocket Surgeon

I'm currently reading Green Eyes and Black Rifles, by Kyle Lamb, as well as a few college textbooks for "light" reading. I recently finished Killer Elite, and a re-read of Al Quaeda in Europe. College is definitely cutting into my reading habit.
Old 1 March 2008, 15:29
Been There Done That

Currently reading "A Bell for Adano", written in 1944, an account of A Civil Affairs Officer in Adano Italy. Fiction, but based the real life experiences of Frank Toscani, who was military governor of the town of Licato, Sicily after the Allied invasion.

Not bad reading.
Old 3 March 2008, 03:29
Authorized Personnel

Rereading Catch-22 by Joseph Heller - I always made it required reading for new soldiers of mine; it cut down on stupid questions and makes me laugh til I cry.

I read Class 11 by T.J. Waters about CIA training and Blowing My Cover by Lindsay Moran on the same subject. I didn't like her book so much. She whined too much for me, though parts were very funny.

We Were Soldiers Once...And Young was a great book. Joseph Galloway was with us on our last FTX before deployment in 05, and then embedded with us a while in Tal'Afar. He's an absolutely awesome individual, and it was amazing to be able to speak with him.

Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides is one of my all-time favorites.
And one thing moreľ
Teach me to hate.
LTHenry Lee, Bataan
Old 3 March 2008, 23:04

Good Book

Just finished reading "What Manner of Man" Canadian Airborne Regiment.
About a guy who was Airborne and went Nuts! Good chapters on crime and the JTF2. ISBN #1-897113-39-0
Old 13 March 2008, 15:34

Thumbs up Jawbreaker

I'm about half way through a great book: "Jawbreaker" by Gary Berntsen. The tag line is "The Book The CIA Doesn't Want You To Read!". Random House has a web page about it. http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/jawbreaker/media

This book was was one of the "..if you like this, also read" at Amazon.com when I read Robin Moore's (RIP 2/21/2008) "The Hunt for Bin Laden". It's a real page turner but there's a ton of "redacted" paragraphs throughout the whole book! So be ready to skip past many blacked out lines.
Old 18 March 2008, 07:51
Sweep the leg...

Just started RONIN: A Marine Scout-Sniper Platoon in Iraq. Written by former Marine, Mike Tucker. Follows Ronin Scout/Sniper platoon, the Marine Scout/Snipers of 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division who served in Fallujah and western Iraq from September 22, 2005, to April 11, 2006.

Enjoying it so far...
Old 18 March 2008, 08:58
Greenhat
Visitor

Recently finished Contra Cross which I found an interesting view of both El Salvador and Nicaragua (plus Hondoras) in the 80s.

Currently reading Cobra II.

Also rereading the Flashman series when in transit.
Old 18 March 2008, 11:01
All Star Benchwarmer

I started reading Battle Ready by Tom Clancy and Tonny(sp)Zinni. I went otu of town and forgot to bring the book with me and I only had 150 pages to go. So I started the backup book that I had stashed, Clive Cussler's Shock Wave. I'll finish that and get back to Clancy's book.

I grabbed a Cussler book at a base used book store a few years ago when I needed something to read and have found them to be very entertaining. When I need a break from history books, Cussler is the way to go. Very easy to read and always a page turner.
Old 18 March 2008, 19:32
McGuire Rig rider

A BOY AMONG TITANS by Rick Schad. A story of one man's experiences in becoming a Special Forces Soldier. It is full of information and carried me back to my days of getting qualified to wear that round, floppy, green in color, french cap!

Jim
Old 19 March 2008, 19:05
Sweep the leg...

I'm in the last few pages of RONIN, and I have to say that I was very surprised at the leadership that these scout/snipers had to deal with. They acquire HVT's in their crosshairs, and are denied taking the shot numerous times; and are completely misused and ignored.

A lot of surprising things published that almost makes me wonder the accuracy of it.

Anyone have any inside scoop on RONIN: A Marine Scout/Sniper Platoon in Iraq?
Old 22 March 2008, 13:21
Confirmed User

Latest bit of light reading: having a re-read of Allen Steele's science-fiction novel Coyote.

For those who find hypotheses surrounding what a post-decline US might look like, the "United Republic of America" --- under a neo-cons-gone-bad style one-party system, surrounded by the notional breakaway republics of "Pacifica" and "New England" --- depicted in the beginning chapters of this novel seems a plausible enough model.

Where The Handmaid's Tale (anyone else remember that film?) meets Heinlein's Hole in the Sky.
Old 22 March 2008, 13:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt
"Fist of God" or whatever the title is, it's a fictionalized account of Saddam's efforts to build the super gun.
Fist of God is the correct title, written by Frederick Forsythe. A good read.
Old 22 March 2008, 14:32
Confirmed User

I just finished War and Rememberance. Jesus that is a long book.

The segmanets pertaining to the persecution and extermination of jews in Nazi held Europe will stab you in the gut. I sat awake at night more than once after reading certain chapters.

It demands alot of time to read, but I highly recommend it.
Old 22 March 2008, 15:09
Violent Social Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim
I just finished War and Rememberance. Jesus that is a long book.
AWESOME fucking book, also Winds of War. I just picked up "The Hope", also about Israel by Wouk.

Right now I'm reading some Bernard Cornwell stuff, great books.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 22 March 2008, 16:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt
AWESOME fucking book, also Winds of War. I just picked up "The Hope", also about Israel by Wouk.

Right now I'm reading some Bernard Cornwell stuff, great books.
I thought about checking out The Winds of War. Is it worth it after War and Rememberance?
Old 22 March 2008, 16:54
Violent Social Worker

I read them years ago, but I think I read them in order. Either way, I burned through both of them in short order. I could read the prequel second and not feel like I was wasting my time.

Old 2 April 2008, 00:01
Greenhat
Visitor

Finished Cobra II which I was not very impressed with. A lot of information, but there was an undercurrent to it of trying to find fault with every decision made.

Also just completed Six Minutes to Freedom which I found to be a tremendous book. Well written, a very quick read that tells of the extraordinary story of Kurt Muse's imprisonment, rescue and the fight against Noreiga by Muse and his friends, as well as the ordeal they and their families suffered while Muse was imprisoned.

Our new posting rules