SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 26 September 2012, 00:26
Policeman Officer

It's probably just a meth head.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 26 September 2012, 05:22
The Sagacious One

Be glad you don't have a skunk and an overzealous wiener dog.
Old 26 September 2012, 14:31
Confirmed User

Dark Helmet, is there a reason why Racoons think your property is the "Stairway to Heaven?". This is incredible. Serious question - Do you neighbors have to deal with these pests in similar numbers (not in the same manner I doubt; it can't come close to your descriptions of this Man vs. Racoon tale).
Old 4 June 2013, 20:56
Administrator

Just was sent this by a buddy....take a look at how smart and resilient these things are. And look how fat the second one is.

Think I am lying now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuRgiG7HY5Q

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 4 June 2013, 21:35
Administrator

LOL.....coons are smart animals. They will actually wash their food in water before they eat it if there is water available. And they are absolutely fucking vicious in a fight. They will fight ANYTHING and generally win. Many coon hounds have died after making the mistake of following a coon into a creek/river/pond. The coon will ball up on their head and hold them under until they drown.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 5 June 2013, 06:43
Make a desert and call it peace.

Racoons seem to like tuna. Racoons lose vs 220 Swift 50gn V-max fired from the 2nd floor in plunging fire.

Note to self: If the plan is to dispose of the body in the creek behind the house, it's better not to blow the damned animal into (bloody) vapor all over the back yard. Also, be sure to have a plausible reason for why you're mowing the lawn(to clean up the gore) at 0530 waking up all the (nosy) old people. S/F.....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 5 June 2013, 15:27
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
LOL.....coons are smart animals. They will actually wash their food in water before they eat it if there is water available. And they are absolutely fucking vicious in a fight. They will fight ANYTHING and generally win. Many coon hounds have died after making the mistake of following a coon into a creek/river/pond. The coon will ball up on their head and hold them under until they drown.
Yep. I had a pet raccoon when I was a kid. 6th generation "domesticated", but not exactly a house pet. Coolest pet I've ever had. He acted like a dog, only smarter.

And then he'd do some ridiculously dumb shit and make you scratch your head. If you took a marble and put it inside an empty milk jug, he'd reach in and grab the marble...then not be able to get his hand out while holding it. He'd sit there for hours, all pissed off, trying to get the marble out.

Another funny thing to do is give them a sugar cube. They'll try to wash it and then go batshit crazy trying to find it when it dissolves and disappears.

The guy my dad bought him from said his male had been cornered by a group of Chows, and had killed 2 of them before the others hauled ass. I was always skeptical until our neighbor's Doberman (closest neighbor being about 1/2 mile away as we lived in the country) came in our yard and tried to get him. Bandit ran part way up a tree, then dropped down onto the dog and ripped its eyes to shreds, blinding the dog, before damn near killing it.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 5 June 2013, 15:34
Confirmed User

Best bait to use if trying to trap them is a large marshmallow or two. It looks like an egg and is also very sweet, you can lead them with a few very small pieces outside the trap.

.22lr is a better option IMHO though.
Old 5 June 2013, 15:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Seen this happen a few times-

I had to stitch up the side of a coon hound's belly thanks to a raccoon.
Old 5 June 2013, 19:06
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
And then he'd do some ridiculously dumb shit and make you scratch your head. If you took a marble and put it inside an empty milk jug, he'd reach in and grab the marble...then not be able to get his hand out while holding it. He'd sit there for hours, all pissed off, trying to get the marble out.

That is a variation of an old coon hunting trick. The trick is to bore a hole in a fallen tree then you drive nails diagonally in so that the points stick out at an angle in the hole you bored. Then you just drop something shiny in the hole like a ball bearing or something and you get the same result. One very pissed off coon who just cant bring himself to drop it and free himself. Stubborn critters.

Very true on the sugar cubes. That really pisses them off too when they wash it and wash it and about the time they are satisfied that its clean its gone. The they will start sticking paws and face in the water looking for it thinking they dropped it. Hilarious.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 5 June 2013, 20:56
Authorized Personnel

Guys averaged nearly $30/ raccoon this year... Let me know when you have some more at the house DH.....lol
Old 5 June 2013, 22:06
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
Guys averaged nearly $30/ raccoon this year... Let me know when you have some more at the house DH.....lol
Fawk. I could have paid for my silencer by now....

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 6 June 2013, 08:49
Been There Done That

Maybe this will help

I found out that mothballs will keep raccoons out of your garden. How about using a sling shot to shoot mothballs near their point of entry to deter them?
Old 6 June 2013, 09:39

If anyone is interested in building a .22 from the ground up there are some great threads over on m4Carbine.net I am almost through assembling mine using the following specs.

VLTOR MUR-1A CMMG stainless bolt group
TACCOM Enhanced 22RF firing pin
TACCOM Extreme extractor
CMMG forward assist adapter
AXTS Raptor charging handle
TACCOM ultra lightweight barrel (13.5 oz.)
Troy rear folding BattleSight
Troy front folding HK BattleSight
Aimpoint Micro T-1
KAC Aimpoint T1 Battery Cap (storage for an extra CR2032 battery)
Larue LT660 T-1 mount
Primary Arms LER 3X magnifier
Larue LT755 Tall Tactical QD Pivot Mount

Lower:
Noveske N4 Gen 2 lower receiver (non-Chainsaw)
Geissele Super Dynamic Enhanced (SD-E) trigger
Spike's Tactical lower parts kit (LPK)
BCM Stock Hardware MOUNTING KIT (Mil-Spec)
TACCOM 22INSERT pressure plug (keeps firm pressure on the bolt group ensuring that barrel collar to barrel contact is consistent)
Noveske QD End Plate
B5 Systems Enhanced SOPMOD buttstock
Spike's Tactical ST-T1 Heavy Buffer (Installed soley to keep the rifle 100% quiet)
Battle Arms Development BAD-ASS-ST Short Throw 45° Ambi Safety Selector (short levers on both sides)
Norgon Ambi-Catch™ mag release
Redi-Mag Better-Mag S&W® .22 Rimfire Magazine Adaptor
M&P 15-.22 25RD magazines

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....ghlight=.22+M4
Old 6 June 2013, 10:33
Fortes Fortuna Juvat

This might be my favorite thread on any website that I have ever seen, ever. I can't stop laughing. It would only be better if I got to hear it in person. Thank you.
Old 6 June 2013, 12:14
Bland user

DH, I like your style. Keep on slaughtering those coons.
This thread makes me think I need a crossbow...
Old 6 April 2014, 13:53
The Sagacious One

Not a raccoon, but none the less vermin. I have been hunting this fucker for over a month. Stinking up the barn and now the shop. I was walking in the house and I see him just laying out in the grass. One of the barn cats started fucking with it until I retrieved the Vermin Killer. (See below). I tried to stay at least 25m away so I didn't get sprayed. With the cost of 22 shells, It cost me about $84 to kill this fucker.

He sleeps with the fish.

Vermin Killer
Old 6 April 2014, 13:57
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
I found out that mothballs will keep raccoons out of your garden. How about using a sling shot to shoot mothballs near their point of entry to deter them?
I did this with the skunk as well. It worked well. It chased him from the barn to the shop. Then, to the dumpster after a hot lead injection.
Old 6 April 2014, 15:31
Firearm Industry Vagabond

Little Cajun pepper, slow simmered in a red wine and butter sauce, that little striped fella would have been a fine meal.

There are starving kids in India that would be happy to eat your skunk Sir.

ETA: Up to this point I've never been really interested in a .22 Glock conversion. But now, I'll have to keep my eyes out for one being sold. Looks like a good option.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 6 April 2014, 15:41
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Not a raccoon, but none the less vermin. I have been hunting this fucker for over a month. Stinking up the barn and now the shop. I was walking in the house and I see him just laying out in the grass. One of the barn cats started fucking with it until I retrieved the Vermin Killer. (See below). I tried to stay at least 25m away so I didn't get sprayed. With the cost of 22 shells, It cost me about $84 to kill this fucker.

He sleeps with the fish.

Vermin Killer
Nice shooting but that thing looks loud. I think you should put a Gemtech on it

Our new posting rules