Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 6 August 2017, 20:30
Been There Done That

Go/No Go Ratio

Just wondering...has any former RI's had a Cmdr track individual RI's ratio on how he graded patrols. I had 1 Bn Cmdr in the Mtns (won't mention names) that had the Co Cmdr send the RI'S Go/No Go ratio to him after every class. Don't know why? The NCO's blew it off anyway, as they should have.

Perfect example. One SSG in my Plt usually graded Sqd leaders, a 24 hrs grade then. I almost always graded Pl's as a senior walker. This guy, from 2nd Batt did give a lot of No Go's. But I observed all my walkers, it was part of mentorship. He did for the most part always have a bunch of turds to grade and often asked my advice. His Go ratio was 14%. My Co Cmdr asked me about him. I said Sir, just walk with him, he is as fair as the next guy. He never got counseled about it, but it was bullshit and eventually went away.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 7 August 2017, 08:47
Been There Done That

You will always have "Tab Protectors" and "Santa Clauses".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 7 August 2017, 09:04
BTDT

I wouldn't be surprised if it was all tracked now. It would be simple to created something using something as simple as MS Excel to show Go/NoGo rates by every possible breakdown.
Old 7 August 2017, 14:50
Been There Done That

It's automatically tracked now. When grades are put in to the database you choose the RI who walked that patrol from a drop down menu, it's very loosely monitored.

We also do a manual tracking job during the PT test. If an RI only has 3 or 4 go's on push ups out of 15 or 20 studs he graded...he might get a talking to.
Old 7 August 2017, 16:17
Been There Done That

Yes.

I got called on the carpet multiple times for being 35 -40% go, 60-65% no go.

If you truly grade by the OR.. very few pass. Which I did not but as the last phase, you better know your shit was my philosophy.

I thought I was fair.

One hard and fast rule, while in a leadership position, I best not catch you sleeping. If so, I fired them.

The only "dickish" stunt I had was those sleeping not in leadership positions, the response of - "i'm not sleeping Sergeant" was usually met with me whipping out a trivial pursuit card and saying... "To avoid a Major Minus, in the category of science, define the acronym LASER" or something like that.

Never actually wrote them up, but they thought they were getting one.
Old 7 August 2017, 21:08
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJurena View Post
Yes.
The only "dickish" stunt I had was those sleeping not in leadership positions, the response of - "i'm not sleeping Sergeant" was usually met with me whipping out a trivial pursuit card and saying... "To avoid a Major Minus, in the category of science, define the acronym LASER" or something like that.
Early on in my military career, men who pulled stunts like this were a source of great mystery to my homeschooled self.

Now, I think back and grin at how much fun the instructors must have had with me at various schools and locations.

Back to my untabbed lane...
Old 8 August 2017, 08:33
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJurena View Post
One hard and fast rule, while in a leadership position, I best not catch you sleeping. If so, I fired them.

Never actually wrote them up, but they thought they were getting one.
I was a "victim" of RI "Dickish" stunt in Fl. I thought it was great, funny and proved his point. I was just off a PL graded patrol and the new PSG/SL(can't remember who exactly) put me on perrimeter guard alone. Of course, I fell asleep(not making excuses) . RI found me, crawled up next me and started going at me with a red marker. Eventually I woke and the first words were"I wasn't sleeping". The RI told me to pull out my camo pack and look at my face. I had red lines all my neck, face and hands. He did this with a smile on his face. He wrote me a major minus and said he would hold on to it but If he ever caught me sleeping again he would turn it in. On the last day, he gave the major minus card to me with the comment " good job never did "Catch" you sleeping. I carried that card everywhere as a reminder of how I fucked up. however I left it on the plane with my combat notbook on the way back from Somilia.

Good times, good times...

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.

Last edited by 10thvet; 8 August 2017 at 08:56.
Old 8 August 2017, 10:12
Been There Done That

yeah they track them (mid-late 80's) If you had a low pass rate but good stud commits you were good. If you had a high pass rate but bad stud commits you were good. Only if you had a low pass rate and bad stud commits did you get looked at.

Rules of the Regt
If it makes sense....don't do it
If it tastes good.....spit it out
If you think you're going the right way........turn around
This place sucks.....let's live here
Old 8 August 2017, 13:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Manges View Post
yeah they track them (mid-late 80's) If you had a low pass rate but good stud commits you were good. If you had a high pass rate but bad stud commits you were good. Only if you had a low pass rate and bad stud commits did you get looked at.
Steve "NO GO" Rondeau would have been fucked-(I did get a go and a major plus from him)
however, I thought his 'survival' class in FL phase was the best presentation in Ranger School...
Old 11 August 2017, 09:34
Been There Done That

I remember one occasion when the ADCO of the Infantry Center (Gen Nix) came up to Camp Merrill to walk a patrol. A big event of course. He was walking with my Company. (I wasn't walking) They changed the walking schedule to include the Co. Cmdr, 1sg, and another NCO.

It was a horrible Platoon. One that never got to the PB on time. At some point after actions on the obj/AAR, Gen Nix observed the Platoon's slow progress navigating. He pulled the walkers off to the side and said "I can see there are some things you guys probably need to take care of. So, I'm moving ahead to the PB so ya'll can do some things that you probably wouldn't do if I was here."

Pretty cool, I thought.

Old 11 August 2017, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I remember one occasion when the ADCO of the Infantry Center (Gen Nix) came up to Camp Merrill to walk a patrol. A big event of course. He was walking with my Company. (I wasn't walking) They changed the walking schedule to include the Co. Cmdr, 1sg, and another NCO.

It was a horrible Platoon. One that never got to the PB on time. At some point after actions on the obj/AAR, Gen Nix observed the Platoon's slow progress navigating. He pulled the walkers off to the side and said "I can see there are some things you guys probably need to take care of. So, I'm moving ahead to the PB so ya'll can do some things that you probably wouldn't do if I was here."

Pretty cool, I thought.

That didn't happen during class 7-01 did it? I remember being told a General was out on a lane walking, and I remember my first platoon sucked, so I'm curious. I ask because a bell is ringing somewhere deep in my brain but I'm not sure if it was us or not.
Old 11 August 2017, 23:51
Been There Done That

No. About 92 or 93. But it the wasn't the first time I'm sure.

Our new posting rules