Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 11 August 2017, 22:45
Been There Done That

Another one...

Glad the officer lived through this. And glad the "thug" is in jail.

http://nypost.com/2017/08/10/shockin...t-blank-range/

Once again, waiting for compliance too long? Had his taser out, but did not use. Too much reliance on tasers these days?

Remember, if you cannot see the hands, they are a threat! One of the first things I always taught my officers.

Completely ignoring the Officer, walking away, hand in pocket.. all clear signs of danger imminent IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11 August 2017, 23:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Glad the officer lived through this. And glad the "thug" is in jail.

http://nypost.com/2017/08/10/shockin...t-blank-range/

Once again, waiting for compliance too long? Had his taser out, but did not use. Too much reliance on tasers these days?

Remember, if you cannot see the hands, they are a threat! One of the first things I always taught my officers.

Completely ignoring the Officer, walking away, hand in pocket.. all clear signs of danger imminent IMO.
Should have never pulled the taser. One of the first things the teach is baggy and heavy jackets will defeat the darts. He should have drawn his service weapon. Glad he lived.....
Old 11 August 2017, 23:04
Authorized Personnel

I am sincerely glad to hear the officer survived. That is a perfect example of a situation where he should not have used a taser - at all - and put the habeas grabus on him early on. Tasers certainly have their place, but not nearly as often as they are being used.
Old 12 August 2017, 00:49
Been There Done That

Sad. Cop has taser at very close range. With the obvious disregard for authority to a uninformed officer....I would have sights on with Department Issue Sidearm. My guess is the officer was trying to execute Department policy, but took too long to go into combat mode. Tough place Cops are put in everyday. I couldn't do it, commend those that do. I don't have the patience or personality to work with scum every day. I would be the cop always on Administrative Leave pending investigation.

Thanks to all you LEO

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Last edited by 1RiserSlip; 12 August 2017 at 00:50. Reason: typo
Old 12 August 2017, 15:45
Violent Social Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
I am sincerely glad to hear the officer survived. That is a perfect example of a situation where he should not have used a taser - at all - and put the habeas grabus on him early on. Tasers certainly have their place, but not nearly as often as they are being used.
Agreed. The Taser was an empty threat at that point. Although when a a guy has a gun in his pocket and intends to use it you're starting from behind.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Our new posting rules