Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 16 January 2017, 17:21
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
What sort of back pain do you have?
Pretty much a constant dull pain that sometimes worsens if I sleep weird or have a heavy workout or strenuous day. It runs parallel to my spine just in the area where my thoracic meets my lumbar spine. I'd say T11/T12 to L2/L3.
Old 23 January 2017, 03:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
Pretty much a constant dull pain that sometimes worsens if I sleep weird or have a heavy workout or strenuous day. It runs parallel to my spine just in the area where my thoracic meets my lumbar spine. I'd say T11/T12 to L2/L3.
I believe many of us suffer pain in the same area. Mine is an accumulation of injuries, carrying heavy loads, finishing concrete for years , etc. I have quite a bit of degeneration in the lower back. It took 10 years of taking it easy, keeping my weight down and I quit pouring concrete full time. Back pain is liveable now and I haven't dropped to my knees in pain or peed myself in several years!
Old 24 January 2017, 00:08
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I believe many of us suffer pain in the same area. Mine is an accumulation of injuries, carrying heavy loads, finishing concrete for years , etc. I have quite a bit of degeneration in the lower back. It took 10 years of taking it easy, keeping my weight down and I quit pouring concrete full time. Back pain is liveable now and I haven't dropped to my knees in pain or peed myself in several years!
Hopefully I never get to that point. I have yet to see a physician or get anything documented for fear of jeopardizing any future opportunities. As in... I don't want it on paper.
Old 24 January 2017, 02:04
Confirmed User

In singapore we just drop it in curry and never think about it. It also doesn't cost 5 american dollars for 450 grams of it

I have my own way of ingesting my turmeric and bet no one here has thought of it yet: i make my own spice blend, i buy spices in 100 gram (3.5 Oz) packets and i mix up the number and type of spice packets in a container, shake well and the resulting mix can be carried around easily.

Parsley, black/white/red pepper, cayenne pepper and various types of herbs i have tried so far and it all goes well on anything and everything, steaks, rice, soup - adjust the blend according to your personal taste, try it, you might like it
Old 16 March 2017, 07:40

Curious, does anyone know if turmeric causes any skewed results on drug testing? We test for the most common controlled substances, but, even if I were to be pain free, losing my job would cause a different kind of pain that turmeric could not fix.
Old 16 March 2017, 14:35
Swimming Upstream

Soooo, I have been using Tumeric now for what, two months or so? I have to say that it has made an positive impact on the pain in my wrist...when I stop taking it, the pain and soreness returns. I use both fresh root in my smoothie, but also a Theracumin emptied into the smoothie. Happy to see something helps that is not a drug.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 16 March 2017, 16:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggmedic View Post
Curious, does anyone know if turmeric causes any skewed results on drug testing? We test for the most common controlled substances, but, even if I were to be pain free, losing my job would cause a different kind of pain that turmeric could not fix.
No way. Some curcumin pills have bioperine/piperine added. This is simply a black pepper extract, which is included because it increases absorption many times. Neither will do anything on their own in a drug test, HOWEVER: piperine increases absorption of many drugs, to the point it can be problematic to take with prescription drugs due to the danger of overdose (all of a sudden you absorb 90mg out of 100mg of whatever, instead of 45mg).

FYI, naringin, found in high levels in grapefruit juice, has a similar effect (through a different MOA). Many drugs put warnings not to take with grapefruit or grapefruit juice.
Old 16 March 2017, 20:48
The atomic zit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Soooo, I have been using Tumeric now for what, two months or so? I have to say that it has made an positive impact on the pain in my wrist...when I stop taking it, the pain and soreness returns. I use both fresh root in my smoothie, but also a Theracumin emptied into the smoothie. Happy to see something helps that is not a drug.
Good news. I've been using it often on I imagine but not sure it's been building up in my system. I have not taken aspirin or ibuprofen in sometime. I do not have chronic pain, but on the other hand I do not have what I consider old people pain.

Translation to that voice text above, it is working for me so far. I hope it continues for you.
Old 17 March 2017, 10:26
Voodoo guru

They key to getting the most out of taking Tumeric is that you also need to take a "fat" to get max absorption. I drop a piece of Tumeric into my smoothies, along with a teaspoon of coconut.

Tumeric has definitely played a role in easing inflammation that was part of the gift package that came along with a broken back from last year.
Old 18 March 2017, 12:07

Thanks for the info
Old 6 April 2017, 10:34
NKDA

Does Turmeric Live Up to All Its Hype? New Research Reveals Surprising Answer

http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/wh...ic-do-for-you/

For centuries, turmeric has been touted for its healing properties, specifically as a powerful anti-inflammatory and a very strong antioxidant. As the main spice in curry, it’s widely accepted as one of the most powerful herbs in the world, since it’s thought to both fight and potentially reverse disease. There are currently thousands of peer-reviewed articles on the health benefits of turmeric, with a focus on its active compound curcumin, which makes up about 3 to 5 percent of turmeric.

Because turmeric is considered to aid such a wide a range of health conditions, including cancer and Alzheimer’s disease, a group of researchers wanted to get the root of curcumin’s medicinal chemistry—to see if it was all it’s been cracked up to be. So they teamed up to pinpoint key findings from the thousands of scientific articles on the topic. “Turmeric has become popular recently, with individuals experimenting with using turmeric in new ways, such as in a milk drink,” explains Nicole Osinga, Registered Dietitian, noting the trend of people drinking “golden milk,” made with turmeric. “Sometimes when foods/nutrients gain popularity, their impact on human health tends to get over-exaggerated.”

In their new review paper, published in the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, Michael A. Walters and Guido F. Pauli examined more than 120 studies and came to some sobering conclusions, saying: “The likely false activity of curcumin in vitro (in labs) and in vivo (in living organisms) has resulted in more than 120 clinical trials of curcuminoids against several diseases. No double-blinded, placebo-controlled clinical trial of curcumin has been successful.” Without those types of studies, the placebo effect can easily explain any positive results.

The claims of medicinal benefits come from in vitro testing—or lab tests, which simply don’t hold a lot of weight for determining definitively that any compound is medicinally beneficial. Rather, in vitro results are best considered as a guide to whether the compound can hit the desired target, and if it can penetrate cells. The researchers concluded that curcumin is simply unstable under physiological conditions, and not readily absorbed by the body. The team was also unable to find evidence of a double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial on curcumin to support claims of its healing powers.

Though turmeric may not be a cure-all, that doesn’t mean that it’s useless, and the authors don’t suggest that research on turmeric should be stopped. Turmeric extracts and preparations could have health benefits, although probably not for the number of conditions currently touted. The researchers suggest that future studies should take a more holistic approach to account for the spice’s chemically diverse elements.

According to Osinga, the most notable obstacles to using curcumin-based formulations are its poor solubility and fast metabolism. She says such limitations lead to poor absorption from the gastrointestinal tract and limiting therapeutic effectiveness. Though there are a few things you can do to boost how well curcumin is absorbed, she adds. “Have it with a quarter teaspoon of black pepper. If people are given a bunch of turmeric curcumin, within an hour there’s a little bump in the level in their blood stream. We don’t see a large increase because our liver is actively trying to get rid of it. But what if the process is suppressed by taking just a quarter teaspoon’s worth of black pepper? Then you see curcumin levels skyrocket. The same amount of curcumin consumed, but the bioavailability shoots up 2,000 percent. Even just a little pinch of pepper—1/20th of a teaspoon—can significantly boost levels.”

Osinga also suggests combining it with fat. “Turmeric needs to be combined with a fat in order for your body to fully absorb it and experience its amazing health benefits. When eaten with healthy fats, such as coconut, ghee, or olive oil, curcumin can be directly absorbed into the bloodstream through the lymphatic system thereby in part bypassing the liver.”

You can also try heating turmeric, sauteing it in about half a teaspoon of oil in a saucepan and then adding it to your cooking.

“Can turmeric cure cancer? Not likely,” concludes Osinga. “But can it reduce inflammation in the body that leads to chronic diseases such as cancer? Yes.”

Our new posting rules