Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 5 March 2017, 20:21
Administrator

02NOV88, 0200 HRS....

I exit the door of the 141 over Taylor Creek. Tall guys always had issued with 141s since that "cheeze grater" thingamajig that opened outside of the bird to reduce air at the exit door always turned us sideways when our legs dropped below the door....I was no exception. Go out, get 100% inverted head-down.....static line goes between my feet, pack tray deploys, my body is flipped around and my right leg gets torqued behind my head because my right foot get wrapped in the static line (keep your feet and knees together). Picture looking down at your right leg and bending it 90+ degrees out to the right....shredded my ACL, PCL, and MCL ligaments (3 of the 4 that hold the knee together).

I think my leg has been ripped off, the pain is unbelievable, I start jettisoning equipment to get to my leg because i am convinced that my leg is gone and I am going to have to have to fashion a tourniquet to stop femoral artery bleeding. To my surprise, my leg is still there but my foot is pointing 180 degrees around from where it should have been, and there is no blood. I hold my fatigues up in the air to do a half-assed PLF while trying to make my leg land as a final point of contact. I crumple into a heap on the DZ and pop an IR chem.

Some stud finds me and gets Doc Polk over to where I am. He tells me to "bite down" and he runs my leg through a series of "I will pull this way and see what happens" tests, after which he tells me I will never walk normally again and radios in a MEDEVAC.

Leg swells up, eight days later when the swelling subsides they cut into me and repair what is left of my knee in a seven-hour surgery. Two months on my back in the hospital. After six months of outpatient rehab and intensely painful physical therapy, during which I am wearing a huge Star Trek knee-brace, I am working for 1SG Mike Hall as his training and schools NCO for A co.

Six months later I get out on a medical with an 18-inch scar down my leg from the surgery and impaired range of motion.

I am 30% disabled and have gotten a check every month since.

My 43rd and final jump......

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 5 March 2017, 21:24
Been There Done That

Damn, that made my worn out old knees ache (both of them) just reading about it. That was a bad jump.
Old 6 March 2017, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Several stories here of LBE straps getting hooked together while jumping. While I never saw this as a problem on fixed wing a/c
The British extended C130's would throw/suck the jumpers behind and caused a lot of collisions, due to different airflow than a standard C130.

This was Spring of '88 when Hard Rock went to England and it was SGT Malloy not Mallay, who I'd gone to RIP with.
Old 6 March 2017, 17:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
02NOV88, 0200 HRS....

I exit the door of the 141 over Taylor Creek. Tall guys always had issued with 141s since that "cheeze grater" thingamajig that opened outside of the bird to reduce air at the exit door always turned us sideways when our legs dropped below the door....I was no exception. Go out, get 100% inverted head-down.....static line goes between my feet, pack tray deploys, my body is flipped around and my right leg gets torqued behind my head because my right foot get wrapped in the static line (keep your feet and knees together). Picture looking down at your right leg and bending it 90+ degrees out to the right....shredded my ACL, PCL, and MCL ligaments (3 of the 4 that hold the knee together).

I think my leg has been ripped off, the pain is unbelievable, I start jettisoning equipment to get to my leg because i am convinced that my leg is gone and I am going to have to have to fashion a tourniquet to stop femoral artery bleeding. To my surprise, my leg is still there but my foot is pointing 180 degrees around from where it should have been, and there is no blood. I hold my fatigues up in the air to do a half-assed PLF while trying to make my leg land as a final point of contact. I crumple into a heap on the DZ and pop an IR chem.

Some stud finds me and gets Doc Polk over to where I am. He tells me to "bite down" and he runs my leg through a series of "I will pull this way and see what happens" tests, after which he tells me I will never walk normally again and radios in a MEDEVAC.

Leg swells up, eight days later when the swelling subsides they cut into me and repair what is left of my knee in a seven-hour surgery. Two months on my back in the hospital. After six months of outpatient rehab and intensely painful physical therapy, during which I am wearing a huge Star Trek knee-brace, I am working for 1SG Mike Hall as his training and schools NCO for A co.

Six months later I get out on a medical with an 18-inch scar down my leg from the surgery and impaired range of motion.

I am 30% disabled and have gotten a check every month since.

My 43rd and final jump......

I remember that well. You were whining like a bitch.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 6 March 2017, 17:37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I remember that well. You were whining like a bitch.
With me down, I was just worried about who was going to end up carrying your ruck to the objective....

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 6 March 2017, 17:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
With me down, I was just worried about who was going to end up carrying your ruck to the objective....
Hahahahahahaha...only in fucking Alpha Co.
Old 6 March 2017, 18:34
Been There Done That

Balloon Jump with 2nd Para in England (92). I remember it well cause the winds were honking. The steel cable that was holding down the balloon had elevation markers on them. The 200' marker was no more than 100 AGL because of the wind pushing the balloon. I did the senior math and calculated that the 700' marker was probably around 500' AGL. The jump was eerie because after I stepped out of the basket, I was so freaking quiet that I could hear the retainer bands popping as the static line extended. It seems forever before the chute fully deployed. I was almost head to earth before I was snapped upright. Right after a dynamic PLF I was getting dragged by the wind. Of course, the Brit's chutes didn't have a quick canopy release system like our T-10s does. I'm sure I looked like a total ass trying to run upwind to get to the apex of the canopy so I could collapse it.
Old 17 March 2017, 18:05
Been There Done That

Phouc Long

I noticed in the links to the Grenada combat engineer question; in 1967 two ODAs from 5th SFG made the jump during Harvest Moon. Anybody else here 'jump' her?

Our new posting rules