SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 2 September 2007, 15:27
Been There, Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey
Expensive, but well worth it. Check out the New Style Rolex GMT II. List price is $5950. Comes with the new improved cal. 3186 movement with Blue Hair Spring that is anti-magnetic, anti-shock, and resistant to any temperature. Has larger hands and hour markers for better nightime visibility. Has the 24 hour hand as well, so you will have your Dual Time Zone function. This is very parctical for military applications, as you can set the regular hands on local time, and the Green 24hr. hand to Zulu time of if overseas to your Home Time in the USA. THe newer style GMT II also has the Triplock Crown, same as the Submariner. So even though the GMT is still rated to 100meters as the older style with the Twin Lock crown, the Triple Lock crown gives increase water resistant. Will be good for any recreational or military tactical dive/water ops. THe new style also has an improved clasp, which allows has a "Summer Extension", this allows you to easily adjust the bracelet a 1/4 link bigger or smaller to accomodate swellling wrist in the heat or during workouts.

Pricey, yes. But will last a life time. Few TDYs and will be paid for.
I have the 1990 (Puchased) and it's been a great watch! Here's the one you mentioned!

http://www.rolex.com/en/collection/e...rama/index.jsp
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.- T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
Old 2 September 2007, 15:52
Confirmed User

Also for a bulletproof diver that will outlast most others, but at a pricepoint some might consider as a 'throwaway', try the TSAR, used by NASA and others:

http://westcoastime.stores.yahoo.net/tsarfrommarn1.html
Old 2 September 2007, 19:17

I have owned, Casio G-Shocks, Rolex GMT Master, Omega Seamaster, Seiko Dive, Citizen Aqualand Dive, Alba (Seiko Subsidary), Suunto and a few others.

1. Omega Seamaster is awesome, my favorite. Battery model can be had for 1200 USD. Watch will last a lifetime
2. G-Shock is the ultimate ulitarian, my choice for night diving and nasty stuff. They are under $100
3. Seiko Dive is bullet proof and looks good too.
4. Suunto uses batteries fast, lots of utilities though. Upgrade from a Casio.
5. Rolex is overpriced and over rated, mine was in the shop for a broken main spring and it cost $500 for repairs. I just sold it on ebay for 2400 USD.
6. Citizen dive is too technical, historically unreliable and uses batteries quickly also. I wore it once.

Whether you choose to accept it or not, a man's success is measured by the watch on his wrist.
Old 3 September 2007, 12:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_defuzer
I have owned, Casio G-Shocks, Rolex GMT Master, Omega Seamaster, Seiko Dive, Citizen Aqualand Dive, Alba (Seiko Subsidary), Suunto and a few others.

1. Omega Seamaster is awesome, my favorite. Battery model can be had for 1200 USD. Watch will last a lifetime
2. G-Shock is the ultimate ulitarian, my choice for night diving and nasty stuff. They are under $100
3. Seiko Dive is bullet proof and looks good too.
4. Suunto uses batteries fast, lots of utilities though. Upgrade from a Casio.
5. Rolex is overpriced and over rated, mine was in the shop for a broken main spring and it cost $500 for repairs. I just sold it on ebay for 2400 USD.
6. Citizen dive is too technical, historically unreliable and uses batteries quickly also. I wore it once.

Whether you choose to accept it or not, a man's success is measured by the watch on his wrist.
My Suunto has gone through 3 batteris in 18 months. The compass refuses to stay calibrated more than a day or two. I sent it back under warranty in hopes they can figure out the problems. Have had a casio for years now. First G-Shock lasted about 10 years and finally bit the dust as the rubber case dry rotted and fell apart. Am on my second now for about 4 years on the original battery. Like the mudman and Pathfinders as well.

Be safe
Old 3 September 2007, 17:08

I must agree with Leopardprey. He's got all the info down cold. The new Rolex GMT II is the stuff. I was deployed on a BLT in the 70's (my pre-SF, U.S.M.C. days) and bought a Rolex Seadweller at Bucherer's Jewellers across from the Rolex Factory in Geneva. I paid $567 USD for it and still have the reciept. That "Double Red Seadweller" is now worth $20,000-$25,000 and there are people who will pay that. I wore it the rest of my time in the Corps and SF. No problems, had it serviced once. If you buy this new GMT II with the green 24 hour hand and green "GMT II" you can wear it, dive, jump and climb in it and sell it in 10-15 years for more than you paid for it. Like your 401-K on your wrist. The one draw-back: it weighs about a half a pound, much heavier than any other Rolex I've ever worn. Definitely a BIG SHINY WATCH. Semper Fi, Beef
Old 3 September 2007, 18:47
Old Scroll

Go old school and inexpensive... LOL

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 3 September 2007, 19:03
Confirmed User

I have a Luminox that seems to be holding up. I have taken to the field and roughed it up on several occasions, but still unsure of it because of what everyone else says about it. My Omega Seamaster is great I wear it all the time. I've never heard of anybody having problems with them. Seems like everyone has a Rolex these days. From what I know, the GMT Master II is probably the way to go if you decide on Rolex. Omega does make a Seamaster GMT. It'll set you back between $1800-$3000, Depending on where you get it. Don't really have any experience with the other brands mentioned, except the Casio G-Shock. Pretty much indestructible. We ran over one with an APC just to see if it would survive. It did. This was back in the early 90's. I don't know what their quality is like now, but everybody seems to like them that have them.
Old 4 September 2007, 02:29
Been There Done That

I would also recommend the Omega Seamaster GMT. Again a very good watch, can find for just around $2000 (or a little under). Good movement and water resistant to 300 meters. Of course there is just something special about a Rolex.

Yes, the new Rolex GMT II is much heavier than past models, but it also has the heavier new style bracelet and clasp which offsets the watch and balances nice.
Old 4 September 2007, 19:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey
I would also recommend the Omega Seamaster GMT. Again a very good watch, can find for just around $2000 (or a little under). Good movement and water resistant to 300 meters. Of course there is just something special about a Rolex.

Yes, the new Rolex GMT II is much heavier than past models, but it also has the heavier new style bracelet and clasp which offsets the watch and balances nice.
Yes there is something very special about them. I don't have one yet, but someday Murphy J will. Oh yes, he will.:D
Old 4 September 2007, 20:39
Deleted Member

Quote:
By whom? Not in my world.
Old 5 September 2007, 01:19
Been There Done That

Ever been to Hong Kong, Singapore, or KL???
Old 5 September 2007, 01:48
Confirmed User

I think it really depends on what circles you travel in. For instance; my father in law has a $26,000 Submariner, he's a doctor. My brother in law has a GMT Master II, he's a project manager for a regional property development company and married to the daughter of one of the richest men in Tulsa. They travel in the sort of social circles where that type of adornment is expected. I don't. I do know that as a kid a mans watch was a glimpse at how successful he is. That sort of thing has kinda gone away, but some of us still remember. If the Army has taught me anything; it's that appearances can get you most places.
Old 5 September 2007, 02:58
Lannister
Visitor

Question I'm Confused...

Apparently I'm not "Tracking"...

All those bright, gleeming ass, titanium, stainless steel, and gold watches up top are for civilian wear... right...
Old 5 September 2007, 03:25
Been There Done That

Well, one of the reasons I always wanted a Rolex, when as a young private in a Ranger Battalion (over 20 years ago), seeing many of the senior NCOs and Officers wearing Rolex watches. Also at that time the 2/75 Ranger Bat. Dive team was issued Tudor (made by Rolex) Dive watches on Nato straps.

Also, later when I got in SF, remember seeing many fellow SF soldiers wearing Rolex. (the old lineage of a SF Soldier having a Rolex watch, a Randall Knife, and Sapphire Ring). Seems many in SF would buy a Rolex with the extra pay they got for being TDY or for re-enlistment bonuses.

I was very blessed in finally being able myself to afford a couple of Rolex watches after several overseas deployments with the US Army and then doing contract security work overseas, over the last several years. Know of many guys doing mobile security work in Iraq with a Rolex Submariner, GMT II or Explorer II on their wrist.

If you ever go to Asia, they are really into watches there and what type of watch you have on your wrist is admired and observed. Good or bad, they judge you from it. Me, I just have Rolex watches cause I like the history, tradition, brainwashed from all those National Geographic Rolex Ads at a young age, and I like a fine peice of swiss made mechanical timekeeping on my wrist in this day of cell phones, internet, blackberries, ipods, etc....
Old 5 September 2007, 22:08
shiver me timbers

Not sure if CWC watches have been mentioned, they are issue for UK forces and are pretty tough. I have a couple, and while they have quartz movements, they are almost as cool as my rolex.:)

I just picked up the black PVD dive watch for $405., and I am very happy with it.

Old 10 September 2007, 16:06
Confirmed User

Just a quick shout out to SUUNTO. I had an Advizor for about 18 months that went bad. SUUNTO replaced it under warranty and sent me a brand new watch.
Old 17 September 2007, 23:22
Confirmed User

So what was the final verdict? What watch did original poster get and why? Likes/dislikes?
I still vote for the G-Shock but mine doesn't fit original poster requirements-my DW-6600 has no dual time capabilities. Still bombproof though.

Rubicon
Old 6 November 2007, 03:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycurgus
I need a watch that can hold at least 2 different times (local, zulu) and looks fairly tactical. Also, needs to be divable to at least 100m. Any ideas?
Sorry, coming into this thread late...

I bought a Seiko automatic divers watch at the commisary 20 years ago and it's never needed repairs. Still keeps good time.

I have this Seiko now...the blue one in the middle...these babies are tanks...you can dive, or do anything else with them and they don't cost an arm and a leg:

http://www.higuchi-inc.com/6R15diver.html

Rolex are fine watches, but do you really want to wear a $6K watch for military training and operations?

If you're willing to part with some more cash, but don't want to break the bank, look into one of these-the movement is as good/or better than Rolex and Omega watches at two or three times the price:

http://www.higuchi-inc.com/sbdx001.html

Go Japanese. The watches are as reliable and well-built as the cars.
Old 6 November 2007, 14:59
Been There, Done That

I added another watch to my inventory! I was on a cruise and the ships stores had a good deal on the watch so I bought it!

I like the idea that it requires no batteries, has many travel time zones that can be set, to include GMT. I like the look of the watch as well.

As for the dive mode on it, it can't be set for nitrox diving, which is a negative factor for me; however, I still have the Suunto Mosquito, which IMHO is a better dive computer, but isn't as nice looking.

The only other negative thing that I don't like about it so far is that it's fairly complex to learn how to use all the functions properly. The manual has 100 pages.

Citizen Eco-Drive Aqualand with Dive Log - 20th Anniversary Model:

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/JV0030-01E.asp
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.- T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
Old 6 November 2007, 15:19
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

I just saw this.

Wow....

Our new posting rules