Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > MarSoc

Old 4 August 2017, 22:17
Been There Done That

Capt Garrett "Tubes" Lawton

Nine years gone by. Tubes was a class act, and a great Marine. KIA 9 years ago today, Zerkoh Valley, Herat Province. I paid him a visit in April, with my son beside me. I cried like a baby. My son asked me why I was crying, and I couldn't get the words out.

I'll never forget you, brother.

Rest Easy, see you at the ORP.
Old 4 August 2017, 22:21
Authorized Personnel

Rest In Peace, Brother! My sincerest condolences Gavin! Sounds like he was a True Warrior in every since of the word.
Old 5 August 2017, 00:51
Another pool cleaner

God damn Gavin. Much respect.

Good on you for keeping the memory alive.

BZ.
Old 5 August 2017, 06:10
Been There Done That

Rest in Peace warrior. Thanks Gavin for remembering those Warriors that have given all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 5 August 2017, 09:28
BTDT

RIP Marine
Old 5 August 2017, 10:51
RIP Cass and SOTB

RIP Marine. Thanks for your service.
Old 5 August 2017, 12:20
Administrator

RIP Brother
Old 5 August 2017, 12:25
Calculating Infinity...

RIP, Brother
Old 8 August 2017, 16:15
Still Learning!

Rest in Peace Sir.
Old 10 August 2017, 18:30
Authorized Personnel

R.I.P. Warrior....
Old 10 August 2017, 22:13
0311/8651

RIP
Old 10 August 2017, 22:43
Been There Done That

Capt Garrett "Tubes" Lawton was serving as the Air Officer for TF-87 in RC-West. TF-87 was primarily composed of MARSOC personnel, but some USASOC and AFSOC personnel served with them as well. I am very proud and humbled to have served with Tubes, and the other Marines, Sailors, Soldiers, and Airmen of TF-87 in 2008-2009. A few other SOCNET regulars were there as well.

During a massive ambush in the village of Kwaja Khedzer, Farah Province, on 29 May 2008, SFC David Nunez (Army SF serving with TF-87) was pinned in the rear of a burning GMV after an RPG strike had ignited fuel in cans on the rear step bumper.

Under heavy and accurate fire, Tubes and other personnel tried repeatedly to free Nunez from the burning wreckage. Despite their valiant efforts, Dave Nunez could not be saved. SFC David Nunez would later receive a posthumous Silver Star for his Gallantry under fire in that battle.

Capt Garrett "Tubes" Lawton received a Bronze Star with Combat Distinguishing Device and a Purple Heart for his actions trying to save Dave. His inability to save Dave weighed very heavily on him.

A little more than two months later, Tubes was killed in a similar manner.

Alan Farrell speaks far more eloquently than I ever could:

Quote:
“We’re losing our best guys. That means the ones who are left behind to build your country…well, I’m trying to find a way to say it that comes out gently. Let me just stick with you lose your best guys (emphasis added). And then the question is, who’s left behind to build the nation and maintain its value system? I think, in Vietnam, we lost some of the best guys. It was World War II guys who came back and established the value system of post-war America. And we’re still doing it. We’re still letting a very narrow segment of the population fight our war for us, and I’m not sure that’s the best thing to do.”
Tubes was one of the best.
Old 11 August 2017, 07:29
Been There Done That

Lest We Forget..............

Force Recon Association

2nd Marine Special Operations Battalion, Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command
In Memory of

Capt Garrett T. Lawton
Died: August 4, 2008

Please note that Captain Garret T. Lawton was from Beaufort, SC. Information released by the Marine Corps incorrectly listed him from Charleston WV, which is why the articles below are now corrected.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A Marine from Charleston, West Virginia Beaufort, SC, was killed while supporting Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan.

According to a news release from the Department of Defense, 31-year-old Captain Garrett Lawton died Monday during combat operations in Herat province, Afghanistan.

Lawton was assigned to U.S. Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

Here is Captain Lawton's career information from the DOD:
Lawton joined the Marine Corps on June 3, 1996 and was trained as a Qualified F/A-18D Weapons Systems Operator. He was promoted to Captain on July 1, 2004, joining 2d MSOB on Feb. 2, 2007. His decorations include seven Air Medals, two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals, a Navy Unit Commendation, a Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation, the National Defense Service Medal, the Afghanistan Campaign Medal, the Iraqi Campaign Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, three Sea Service Deployment Ribbons and a NATO medal.

On 1 DEC 2008, Captain Lawton was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star with Combat V.

CAPTAIN GARRETT T. LAWTON
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS
for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

Capt Garrett T. Lawton For heroic achievement in connection with combat operations against the enemy while serving as the Company Air Officer for Company H, 2d Marine Special Operations Battalion, U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Special Operations Command on 29 May 2008, in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM. On 29 May 2008, the convoy in which Captain Lawton was traveling was struck by a complex ambush while operating in Western Afghanistan. Taliban insurgents engaged the convoy from both sides with small arms, medium machine gun, and rocket propelled grenade fire. The vehicle ahead of Captain Lawton's was struck by a rocket propelled grenade and burst into flames, trapping a gravely wounded Soldier in the back of the vehicle. With complete disregard for his own personal safety, Captain Lawton, along with two other Marines from his vehicle moved from a covered position and run under fire across 100 meters of open terrain in order to free the trapped soldier. Unable to pull the Soldier free, and after Captain Lawton sustained 2nd-degree burns to his hands and face, and unable to free the soldier, they were forced to relent in their efforts as the burning vehicle became completely engulfed by fire and exploded. Captain Lawton then returned to his vehicle and directed the vehicle out of the ambush's kill zone. After exiting the kill zone, Captain Lawton refused medical evacuation and aided in the prosecution of 14 close air support missions to reduce enemy strong points within the village. By his courageous actions, exceptional dedication to duty, and dogged refusal to leave any man behind, Captain Lawton reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

The Combat Distinguishing Device is authorized.

For the President,
James T. Conway
Commandant of the Marine Corps

Thursday August 7, 2008
Marine from Charleston Beaufort, SC killed in Afghanistan
by Ashley B. Craig Charleston Daily Mail staff

Capt Garrett T. Lawton - Photo taken Dec 1999 on day of commissioning by his father Cal Lawton, LtCol USMC(ret)CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Preliminary plans are being made to honor a Marine originally from Charleston Beaufort, SC who was killed in action in Afghanistan.

Captain Garrett T. Lawton was killed Monday while working with the Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command in Herat province, Afghanistan, according to a news release from the Department of Defense.

Lawton was 31 and leaves behind his wife Trish and their two sons, 4 and 6.

He joined the Marines in June 1996 and trained to become an F/A-18D Hornet Weapons System Operator. Lawton was promoted to Captain in 2004 and joined the Marines Special Operations Command in 2007.

Capt. Lawton was based out of Camp Lejeune, N.C. and lived with his family in Sneads Ferry, a small village just across the New River from the Marine base.

The aviation officer was assigned to ground duty with the 2nd Marine Special Operations Battalion.

Jennifer Morton, a neighbor of the Lawton family, said Lawton's parents and family live in Beaufort, S.C., so she believed that any event in honor of Lawton will be there.

The community of Sneads Ferry was attempting to plan a gathering in Capt. Lawton's honor but nothing has been confirmed.

Capt Garrett T. LawtonLawton's wife Trish is a stay-at-home mom who teaches aerobics in her spare time and recently began teaching Zumba, Latin based dance aerobics. Trish has been teaching aerobics since high school. She celebrated a birthday last month.

A relative at the Lawton home said the family was doing "OK under the circumstances."

Capt. Lawton's decorations include Bronze Star w/V (posthumously for action which took place nine weeks prior to his death), 2 Purple Hearts, seven Air Medals, two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals, a Navy Unit Commendation, a Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation, the National Defense Service Medal, the Afghanistan Campaign Medal, the Iraqi Campaign Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, three Sea Service Deployment Ribbons and a NATO Medal.

Capt Garrett T. Lawton

Capt Garrett T. Lawton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capt-Garrett-T-Lawton-3.jpg (23.7 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg Capt-Garrett-T-Lawton-1.jpg (18.8 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg Capt-Garrett-T-Lawton-5.jpg (20.4 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg Capt-Garrett-T-Lawton-4.jpg (28.4 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg Capt-Garrett-T-Lawton-6.jpg (39.2 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg Capt-Garrett-T-Lawton-7.jpg (24.5 KB, 216 views)
Old 11 August 2017, 07:42
Authorized Personnel

RIP brother.
Old 14 August 2017, 08:17
Conquer Life.

RIP sir.

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 6 September 2017, 22:44
Amatuer TerrorAstrologist

RIP, sir.
RIP, SFC Nunez.
"I am going to permit this thread to continue under the following conditions: 1. The original poster will cease posting like he is a skateboarder. 2. The original poster will use the search engine." -magician
Old 21 October 2017, 02:00
Psalm 91:2

RIP Marine. Thank you for your service. Gavin prayers for you and for family and friends.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley

Our new posting rules