Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 11 September 2017, 09:09
Confirmed User

Comrade Detective

If you want to watch a good show made from old Soviet Propaganda, there is a show on Amazon called "Comrade Detective".

It is an old mini-series that aired in Romania back in the 1980s, and as explained by the people that were involved with bringing the show to the West (Channing Tatum and some dude who looks like Trotsky), it was a signature piece of anti-West propaganda similar to "our propaganda" of shows like Red Dawn and Rocky IV. They thought it lost, but scoured Eastern Europe to find it and had it re-dubbed.

Loosely speaking, it is a buddy-cop show starring a Dirty Harry-esque detective along with his by-the-book-yet-still-competent partner from the countryside that is in the search for the killer of "Dirty Harry's" partner. A killer who is some sort of "American Capitalist". The anti-US propaganda is so thick it's hilarious and at times almost seems to transform the show into satirical comedy. The way the West is portrayed is ridiculous. You have to see it to believe it. From "Jordackey" aka Jordache jeans. To Pepsi. To Reagan. To how they portray Christianity and even the game Monopoly.

Anyway, I swear it really still is a good show even if a bit over the top with the propaganda such as how a "good communist" behaves, the quotes of Marx, what a good communist wife is, how over-the-top obscene and in love with money the west is, etc ---- which actually makes the show even more interesting, IMO.

Old 11 September 2017, 19:07
Newbie shooter

loving this right now. I'm on episode 4. The unintentional comedy is amazing.
Old 12 September 2017, 15:07
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Based on what I read on IMDB, this is either a bit of a parody remake of an actual TV show that was produced in Russia during the Cold War, or it's an original satire of the kind of show the USSR would have produced during the Cold War, if they had any imagination at all.

Which is it?

It appears that it wasn't an actual show at all, but a fictional show that supposedly appeared on Romanian TV back in the 80s. No matter, it sounds like a winner. Channing Tatum can actually be pretty funny in some of the roles he's been in.
Old 15 September 2017, 15:13
Confirmed User

It is the actual show that aired. Channing Tatum, along with other actors, have redubbed over the original Romanian audio.

The opening 'introduction' to the show has Tatum and that other guy stating that it was a Soviet propaganda show aired in the 80s. They found the original film reels and "digitized" it along with adding dubbed over audio. Maybe that was part of the parody and I was too dumb to recognize it though.
Old 15 September 2017, 15:58

I checked a little bit, and based on the actual cast in the show it's a parody of a TV show that might have been shown back during those thrilling days of the 80s Cold War.

Here's the best description of the show I've found so far, I think it's a pretty funny concept. Something along the lines of what Woody Allen did in What's Up Tiger Lily, the main difference being that while Allen's flick was dubbed in English using an actual Japanese movie, Comrade Detective is simply imagining what a show like that would have looked like, and then made it with regular actors from the present, most of whom I've never heard of, and then dubbing it with the American actors voices.

https://www.bustle.com/p/is-comrade-...t-satire-74476

Olivia Nita, who plays the character of Jane (pictured in the top photo you posted, wearing glasses) was born in 1987. She's from Romania, but wasn't even born in reality when the fictional Romanian show was supposedly made.

Interesting concept though.
Old 15 September 2017, 16:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I checked a little bit, and based on the actual cast in the show it's a parody of a TV show that might have been shown back during those thrilling days of the 80s Cold War.

Here's the best description of the show I've found so far, I think it's a pretty funny concept. Something along the lines of what Woody Allen did in What's Up Tiger Lily, the main difference being that while Allen's flick was dubbed in English using an actual Japanese movie, Comrade Detective is simply imagining what a show like that would have looked like, and then made it with regular actors from the present, most of whom I've never heard of, and then dubbing it with the American actors voices.

https://www.bustle.com/p/is-comrade-...t-satire-74476

Olivia Nita, who plays the character of Jane (pictured in the top photo you posted, wearing glasses) was born in 1987. She's from Romania, but wasn't even born in reality when the fictional Romanian show was supposedly made.

Interesting concept though.
Hahaha awesome! Well I guess they got me! Really neat idea. The propaganda was a bit over the top, but I figured it was Soviet propaganda so I didn't know any better. Thanks!
Old 15 September 2017, 16:56

It's like a parody of a show that might have been used in a parody. Classic story of a snake eating its tail.
Old 16 September 2017, 00:24
Been There Done That

I doubted the dialog was accurately portrayed, and that it had to be tweaked. the film stock/shots/clothes/etc. looked pretty accurately eastern euro, so they did a great job there. I was amused at how close, but not at all right the Jarhead uniforms were, especially compared to the Romanians. whoever put this together did a really good job of setting a tone.

it was fun to watch.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 16 September 2017, 17:55
Spice Weasel

Signature line material every five minutes.

"What would Lenin do...Lenin would FUCK HIM UP!"

Our new posting rules