Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 September 2017, 20:07
Confirmed User

History class in my school ('68) showed a film of the attack on Pearl Harbor, that film is still etched in my mind today.

Also thought this was BS on Alaska Gov. Bill Walker's part.

http://mustreadalaska.com/governor-w...triot-911-day/

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."

Last edited by P304X4; 12 September 2017 at 20:19.
Old 12 September 2017, 21:37
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCross View Post
I fear the day is coming when it has no impact on our youth--and that day may have come and gone.
It's come and gone.
Old 12 September 2017, 21:52
Anesthetized User

From WWII, but I like how it fits today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40mm_guns_firing_aboard_USS_Hornet.jpg (32.4 KB, 156 views)

Support SOCNET.
Old 12 September 2017, 22:15
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCross View Post
I fear the day is coming when it has no impact on our youth--and that day may have come and gone.
For the high school students I encounter on a daily basis, 9/11/01 is as remote to them as 12/07/41, Reagan is as distant as Lincoln, and the USSR / Cold War as removed from their reality as King George III. All of those things are ancient history, the knowledge of which is unnecessary in modern life, and all of which may be discussed with emotionless detachment. They each know some old person who told them something about 9/11, they've all seen things in passing about it on TV they paid minimal attention to, but very few know the details or appreciate the emotional impact of how that day unfolded. They tend to be curious and attentive to the topic when taught about it, but with the sort of fleeting fascination that teenage boys will devote to the rear end of the one cute girl in a pack that just walked through the mall in the opposite direction.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 12 September 2017, 22:29
Did...did I do that?

I wasn't a fan of "Patriot Day. I thought that already existed, as April 19th. Seems a much more appropriate day for that title. Don't know what else you'd call 9-11 though, or that it really needs a title.
Old 13 September 2017, 08:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I know better, but I've been watching the documentaries on History channel all night. It makes me want to go dig all my grungy old shit out of the shed, get kitted up and go kill some motherfuckers.
"Whose car we gonna take?"
Old 13 September 2017, 10:35
Authorized Personnel

Mine, most of the shit I drive would fit in perfectly in Afghanistan.
Old 13 September 2017, 13:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
For the high school students I encounter on a daily basis, 9/11/01 is as remote to them as 12/07/41, Reagan is as distant as Lincoln, and the USSR / Cold War as removed from their reality as King George III. All of those things are ancient history, the knowledge of which is unnecessary in modern life, and all of which may be discussed with emotionless detachment. They each know some old person who told them something about 9/11, they've all seen things in passing about it on TV they paid minimal attention to, but very few know the details or appreciate the emotional impact of how that day unfolded. They tend to be curious and attentive to the topic when taught about it, but with the sort of fleeting fascination that teenage boys will devote to the rear end of the one cute girl in a pack that just walked through the mall in the opposite direction.
In all honesty, if you don't live through it, it means less, and this applies to everything, every age, every generation. It's not bad or surprising, and doesn't speak ill of our youth. It only speaks ill of us, and our inability to close that chapter in 16 fucking years.

I'm a CA boy, born and raised. I've been in LA for nearly 20 years, but the Northridge earthquake means little to me because I wasn't here for it; OJ and Rodney King barely register because I was abroad. 9/11? Seared into my DNA. But why should I expect it to be that way for my kids?
Old 13 September 2017, 14:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
For the high school students I encounter on a daily basis, 9/11/01 is as remote to them as 12/07/41, Reagan is as distant as Lincoln, and the USSR / Cold War as removed from their reality as King George III
I don't think that 9/11 will be forgotten. Rather, it will join the pantheon of historical milestones that are looked at by next generations as curious exhibits of decades past, without the emotional burden.

Especially since the rise of modern ultraconnected world, for some young people there's not so much remembering history as living thru permanent instant moment that shines like a star when it enters the stage of the collective consciousness and then collapses, gets washed away into the abyss of yesteryear only to be replaced by another instant moment, ad infinitum.

The fact that modern media is full of scenes of carnage from around the world IMO plays a role at desentisizing the young generation. The capability to record and instantly post it on the Internet for anyone to see certainly has a role in this.
Old 13 September 2017, 14:08
Authorized Personnel

People learn and remember things that interest them or touch them personally. I was born during the Vietnam era, but no one in my family was personally touched by it. But, I am interested in that war and have spent a lot of time learning about it.

Kids will remember what they want to and 9/11 isn't a priority memory for many of them.
Old 13 September 2017, 20:03
Anesthetized User

This is a park bench at Lovers Point in Pacific Grove down the street from the Monterey Aquarium and the point is right on the water of the Monterey Bay.

I got up early to shoot some scenery on the coast. It was an amazing morning. Nice marine layer, tide was out, and no people.

I found this letter attached with flowers to the bench. A mother had the bench placed in memory of her daughter who was killed at the WTC 9/11. The mother wrote this to her daughter. Summer 2014.

I shot a few pics of the letter. I have not read the letter in some time, but it breaks my heart each time I do.

It's good for me, it keeps me human instead of void of emotions.

I cannot forget.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0495.jpg (37.0 KB, 102 views)

Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 13 September 2017 at 20:16.
Old 13 September 2017, 21:39
Been There Done That

^^^ Damn allergies.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Im attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 13 September 2017, 23:06
Anesthetized User

^^^We are all tough men, women, been around the world, seen a ton, good, bad and horrible. Things no one should see or have to live through and manage.

But that one just hurts. Everytime.

Support SOCNET.
Old 14 September 2017, 08:11
Been There Done That

Agree. First time viewer yesterday. It gave me a mental and physical response. I'm deeply touched by it.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Im attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister

Our new posting rules