SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 3 March 2006, 23:05
Been There Done That

HEY, HEY! HEY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrb929
make sure he doesnt throw a rock at it

ask him to show you the video about the rednecks in one certain county in WV

it has doughnuts in a pick up and fat hillbilly chicks in the front yard

it starts with showing a county sign...getting shot by a shotgun

it is the funniest damn thing in the world
Why does everybody gotta slam the hillbillies? It's all fun and games until you need us to shoot somebody....

That's my old unit....somebody please PM with the dude's name, please. I would appreciate it.

Abnremf, please tell "Herbie" that I said hey, and to get on here and send me an email.

Thanks,

Mcdude
Old 5 March 2006, 00:48
Been There Done That

oh i wasnt bagging on him

but that video was made by WV people about WV people

and it was funny...i laughed for days
Old 5 March 2006, 08:55
Been There Done That

Your getting NG info and actividuty info mixed up. You can not get 18X in the Guard. But if you are in shape you can go to SFAS withen 6 months after enlistment. There will be a delay between SFAS for Guard. I have seen 1 month delay's to 6 month delays. Over that it is usually the fault of the indavidual. You have no MOS. Unless they convert youir Navy MOS. If not you will need to go to an MOS producing school before you go to SFAS. I would recomend 11B. In addition I notice you live in Ga. The nearest SF NG unit is A 1/20 in Auburn Al. If you are really serious I would join the GAARNG recon company(not sure where it is at) It will send you to 11B conversion course and airborne school. The point is get some credentals. Then go to A co. To tell the truth if you went there as a ex broke, ex Navy, over 40 dude. They will politely send you back to Ga.
Old 8 March 2006, 07:18
BTDT

you are correct

I stand corrected. Steve 555 is right. You can't get 18X in NG. I have however put navy guys into the Q after they left. REP 63 is the NG version of 18X. The navy guys I put in usually had some kind of intel background so they converted that way. Sorry about the misunderstanding. I promise when I'm back in the States and have purged the half million pieces of Intel I've had to digest here, I'll be back to thinking clearly. I miss being an echo.
Old 8 March 2006, 10:12
#AllLionsMatter

The REP-63 and 18X are essentially the same program. The only difference is that; 18X is RA and REP-63 is state.

The SFNG (state) requires that an individual attend SFRE prior to being selected to attend SFAS. Is SFRE needed initially for an individual with a MOS? Yes! It's the only way "for the unit" to assess an individuals skills prior to being (assigned to the unit) and sent to SFAS.

If an individual with out an MOS...Is SFRE needed? NO! The individual must pass OSUT/Airborne initially before being assigned to a SF unit. Then he can take SFRE before attending SOPC and/or SFAS...

"Sounds similar to the 18X program?" If scheduled and/or timed correctly, this can be done at one time in the NGSF. If an individual fails the SF pipeline guess what?

He goes to the needs of the state, a better trained soldier for having tried..."sounds like the 18X program again?"

"The pipeline can be done...all at once."

Stay safe.
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.

Last edited by Guy; 8 March 2006 at 11:15. Reason: some additional info in ITALICS...
Old 5 April 2006, 17:14
Probationary User

Made it through SFAS at 33

Lyon - I'm National Guard as well and have recently finished the Q course. I was 33 when I completed SFAS (2 years ago). I went throught the 6 month Rep 63 program and they did an exellent job of preparing me for SFAS.

I went to the Q course a year after I completed SFAS. It took me 13 months from inprocessing to outprocessing to get through the Pipeline (no recycles).
SWC did a good job of getting me from phase to phase without much wait time (the most I waited was a week). I went through under the old "linear" format. I understand that now the total time in the Pipeline has been reduced as they have made it modular, further reducing time spent sitting around student company waiting for your next phase to begin.

As far as SFAS goes, the best advise I can give is do your best and don't quit! That will give you the best chance of getting selected.

Good luck!
Old 7 April 2006, 09:19
Confirmed User

Great info, thanks.

I'm 38, Prior Service, and this thread has helped a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy
The REP-63 and 18X are essentially the same program. The only difference is that; 18X is RA and REP-63 is state.

The SFNG (state) requires that an individual attend SFRE prior to being selected to attend SFAS. Is SFRE needed initially for an individual with a MOS? Yes! It's the only way "for the unit" to assess an individuals skills prior to being (assigned to the unit) and sent to SFAS.

If an individual with out an MOS...Is SFRE needed? NO! The individual must pass OSUT/Airborne initially before being assigned to a SF unit. Then he can take SFRE before attending SOPC and/or SFAS...

"Sounds similar to the 18X program?" If scheduled and/or timed correctly, this can be done at one time in the NGSF. If an individual fails the SF pipeline guess what?

He goes to the needs of the state, a better trained soldier for having tried..."sounds like the 18X program again?"

"The pipeline can be done...all at once."

Stay safe.
Old 13 April 2006, 09:20
Probationary User

My SRNCO was 34 when he went through.

CSM Kittleson was 42 when he volunteered for Son Tay, beating out guys half his age. At our last Christmas ball he felt bad for not being over in the Mid East.
Old 16 April 2006, 17:11
Bandy Legged Old Geezer

Massachusets has a Retired Irish Defense Force Ranger Company Sergeant Major (equivalent to our CSM) who was their school house Sergeant Major going through right now. He maxes his APFT and and is doing ok despite getting a broke rib and med recycled at SUT. Age has nothing to do with making it...
Old 17 April 2006, 01:27
BTDT

1) You must first join the guard. If your MOS crosses over then great, but you will still attend a 4 week course at White Sands for all Navy/Air Force prior service(to learn to shoot, and just transition). If your not MOS qualified, then the unit your assigned to will send you there. 2) After you have your MOS, you drill 1 weekend a month till 19th or 20th has a try out, usually 2 times a year. To go to try out, your unit has to pay for that weekend. Try out consists of the Army Physical Fitness Test (17-21 age group standard), land nav, road march, confidence course, and patrolling. 3) If your selected, you leave your unit to train for the next phase. If you pass that then you go to Bragg and start the pipe line. Except for drills and the first test you will be, ADSW (active duty special work) for all pay and allowances. BAH and COLA are pretty sweet some places. If you need more help let me know. RLTW!

Last edited by DY; 22 April 2006 at 13:15.
Old 17 April 2006, 14:23
Confirmed User

Here's a thread worth reading:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...dest+candidate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 17 April 2006, 14:33
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrjoem

As I stated in an earlier post, professionalsoldiers.com is a bit harder edged than SOCNET, if anyone here wishes to join; you need to go in easy, post in the intro thread, lurk a bit, and be aware of whose house you are in!

Terry
Old 20 April 2006, 22:10
BTDT

Rodger that Sir! Thank's.
Old 22 April 2006, 00:58
Confirmed User

My colleague and I went through SFAS in June 2001 and he was 39 when he got selected, he's not the oldest one though...

Old 22 April 2006, 11:28
Probationary User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL18D
Massachusets has a Retired Irish Defense Force Ranger Company Sergeant Major (equivalent to our CSM) who was their school house Sergeant Major going through right now. He maxes his APFT and and is doing ok despite getting a broke rib and med recycled at SUT. Age has nothing to do with making it...
I think I may know this guy, didn't know he was getting back in the game hough,if any guy's can do it, it'll be an ex-fraggle
Old 22 April 2006, 21:45
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL18D

Congrats on the promotion, BTW, SGM.

R_M
Old 25 April 2006, 02:22

I went thru with two 41 yrs old guys in the Q. Both former Batt. guys. So yea, 36 is doable.
Old 15 June 2006, 22:26
Confirmed User

Got to say at 38 this thread has motivated me. Now if I can just find my depends and the recriuters number I'm on my way.

The 20th looks to be a good option for prior service.
Old 16 June 2006, 08:28
Been There Done That

Wrong mind set

My friend don't question yourself. If your thinking that way now you may not be the right guy for SF anyway. Be smart about it...Train hard, be fit...take care of your feet!!!. Have a positive attitude and bust your balls to make it. Don't even think about quiting, stay positive, stay focused and your make it. Push fluids...use extreme caution if your using supplements (I would advise against it myself) and pray that you don't get hurt. If your going to take the SF route SFAS is just one of the many physical and mental challenges. Good luck
Old 22 June 2006, 20:17
Who's da clown behind me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy
Had an old Marine in his mid-40s go through and pass.
He may be the guy who is in my unit now. He's a SSG now.

Our new posting rules