Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 29 December 2002, 12:20
Deleted Member

and for my next question...

Good Morning Everyone, (or insert proper greeting here)

OK,
I have completed the last perceived hurdle in reenlisting, the tape test. Thanks to everyone that helped me with the advice in the thread where I asked.

I go for my physical on Friday 3 Jan 03 and should have all of my paperwork in the recruiting batt's hands for grade/waivers by Friday afternoon. This means that I will be back in BCT/AIT within about a month, according to the recruiter's estimate.

Now for my questions. I am intending on meeting the requirements for SFAS ASAP. As I am prior service, I will need to do it the old fashioned way. :D No 18X pipeline for me... So what are the current requirements and will I need a waiver for age. If I do need the waiver, what are the standards for getting one? Here are the stats that will help you in determining where I stand and what I need to do:

Age: 33 (34 when I get out of Basic) <--- this is my biggest concern
Estimated Grade on re-entry: E-3
Promotion Points: Maxed upon board
MOS: 11B
GT/APQT: 130/99%
Median ASVAB score: 132
DLAB tested in 1986: 110 <-- may need to retake, not sure
PT: 248 on the 17-20 scale
Swim Test: lol np
Clearance: Secret (expired in 1996)
Additional Skills:
Advanced Programming and Networking
Regional Level Marksmanship Competitor
29 credit hours College with approximately 3.0 GPA

So what do I need to set as short term goals in order to be eligible for SFAS? These are the ones I know for sure:

1) Get through BCT/AIT
2) Regain my E-4(p) status
3) Maintain or improve my PT scores
4) Reinstate my clearance
5) Get younger :D

What else?

Thanks in advance,
Jay McVinney
Old 29 December 2002, 13:57

Jay,

This may come accross as harsh but I believe you need to reorganize your priorities if you intend on attending the SFQC.

1) Lose weight. Unless what you are carrying is an excess amount of muscle mass, then you would be better off by shedding the excess fat. You shouldnt attempt to enter this community needing a tape test. Your age shouldnt be your biggest concern, your level of fitness should. There are many worthless 20 year old fat kids in America. Show up as a 34 y/o stud.

2) Increase your score on the APFT. 248 on the 17-21 scale is pretty sorry. Due to our soft society the 17-21 bracket is no longer the hardest bracket so I'd say your PT test score is accually lower than what that number represents. Get a copy of the current score tables and evaluate yourself against the hardest age group in each event, or just use your age bracket and aim for 300.

I routinely see guys with scores such as yours VW or Med out of the course because they arent physically prepared.

3) Complete basic and AIT then begin your quest toward SFAS and SFQC. IF everything is in order, and you have nothing suspect in your history, then reinstatement of your clearance will be accopmlished so you can attend.

4) Last I heard it wasnt a requirement to be a promotable E4 to attend. I'm not familiar withthe recruiting requirements, but we put many E-4s through the course that havent been boarded.

Just my .02
Old 29 December 2002, 15:10
Deleted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mffjm8509
Jay,

This may come accross as harsh but I believe you need to reorganize your priorities if you intend on attending the SFQC.
Be as harsh as you'd like, I can take it. I really appreciate the input. There are a couple of points I'd like to touch on in clarification and a few questions I'd like to pose.

Quote:
1) Lose weight. Unless what you are carrying is an excess amount of muscle mass, then you would be better off by shedding the excess fat. You shouldnt attempt to enter this community needing a tape test. Your age shouldnt be your biggest concern, your level of fitness should. There are many worthless 20 year old fat kids in America. Show up as a 34 y/o stud.
It's primarily muscle mass in my legs and chest although I do have a quickly diminishing layer of fat around my waist, just enough that you can see the outlines around my abs, but the 6-pack is covered. I weigh 181 (I just weighed in on a medical scale this morning). The requirement is 174 at my age/height (33/66.5") for prior service. I haven't been 174 since just after Basic 15 years ago. I'm one of those short, stocky people with wide shoulders.

Quote:
2) Increase your score on the APFT. 248 on the 17-21 scale is pretty sorry. Due to our soft society the 17-21 bracket is no longer the hardest bracket so I'd say your PT test score is accually lower than what that number represents. Get a copy of the current score tables and evaluate yourself against the hardest age group in each event, or just use your age bracket and aim for 300. I routinely see guys with scores such as yours VW or Med out of the course because they arent physically prepared.
Point taken. My particular weakness is the run. I've been smoking for 20 years and that is really hurting me. I'm working on that, I threw out all of the cigarettes that I had about 3 weeks ago and my times on runs are improving steadily (along with the green shit I'm coughing up afterwards ) Situps are usually in the 90's (reps), pushups are about 65-70 depending on morning or night testing, it's the run...lol

My current PT schedule is to get up in the morning and do pyramids from 20 to 35 pushups, 35-50 situps (intermingling the pushups and situps to avoid early muscle failure). Following the pushups and situps, I do shrugs over 3 minutes (for my thin neck...lol). Then I go for a 3 mile run (that happens to be double the length of the street I live on)

Twice a week I do swimming in place of the run, doing two laps (olympic pool) with the standard stroke (forget the name of it, it's the overhand, breathe to the side version) and one lap each way with the side stroke, one lap on each side.

Is there anything else you would suggest that I add into my routine? I don't really have any time constraints as I work for myself so PT can take as long as necessary.

Quote:
3) Complete basic and AIT then begin your quest toward SFAS and SFQC. IF everything is in order, and you have nothing suspect in your history, then reinstatement of your clearance will be accopmlished so you can attend.
Shouldn't be any problems there, looks like exactly what I intend to do.

Quote:
4) Last I heard it wasnt a requirement to be a promotable E4 to attend. I'm not familiar withthe recruiting requirements, but we put many E-4s through the course that havent been boarded.

Just my .02 [/B]
I'm just going by what I was told when I applied (and was accepted) for SFAS in '88-'89 Can anyone tell me what the rank requirement is now, or is there one?

Once again, thank you much for the time you've taken in answering my questions.

Jay
Old 29 December 2002, 16:23
Probationary User

29 credit hours College with approximately 3.0 GPA

Don't know if this applies for prior enlisted. I'm getting my DEP package together and they told me 80 hrs of college credit allows for E-4 upon completion of Basic/AIT. It's different if you have a bachelors, but i just have an AA. Don't know if that helps.
Ray
Old 29 December 2002, 16:54
Special Forces
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by (1VB)compforce

Is there anything else you would suggest that I add into my routine? I don't really have any time constraints as I work for myself so PT can take as long as necessary.

Jay
Jay:

Yes.

Get a ruck, load it up 35-40 lbs to begin with, and move out smartly.

Go here, find the SFAS PT prep, and follow it. You will be in better shape, know what to expect, and impress your younger peers:

http://www.goarmy.com/job/branch/sorc/sf/specforc.htm

Move out and draw fire. Good luck!

TR
Old 29 December 2002, 17:05
Deleted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper

Jay:

Yes.

Get a ruck, load it up 35-40 lbs to begin with, and move out smartly.

Go here, find the SFAS PT prep, and follow it. You will be in better shape, know what to expect, and impress your younger peers:

http://www.goarmy.com/job/branch/sorc/sf/specforc.htm

Move out and draw fire. Good luck!

TR
Perfect!
I'm printing it out now, thank you.

Jay
Old 30 December 2002, 03:20
Whatever Sucks the Most

gotta say...depending on how much time you have before you report....I would start getting real serious and include both weights, stretching, and a HELL of a lot more swimming.

you do two laps? Try just getting to a point where you can swim non-stop for an hour.

rucking is a real good idea....for the tobacco jones....get the patch. It works, or at least, it did for me. Got me off Cope. And that was a miracle.

Our new posting rules