Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 17 August 2016, 17:44

I feel selfish hopping around the LE forum resurrecting old threads; but at the same time much has changed since this thread last active. I begin my academy next month, and was curious if there's any other PERSEC I should be aware of- besides the obvious?

I have no facebook, minimal web presence and that which is there doesn't have my name on it. I'm in TX and have taken note of the area specific suggestions so far in this thread. A few bills in my name, currently renting an apartment so no home ownership on county tax records.

Just trying to get ahead of the curve. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 17 August 2016, 20:32
Confirmed User

Establish a trust with a non-associated or alerting name. Establish it in a different state than the one in which you live. Use this to buy and hold assets. If you want additional safety, wrap it in an llc. Use PO Boxes of mail forwarders (like myrvmail) as an address for all assets and have all your mail sent to this box. Forward it to anther box (again registered to the trust) near you. After these steps, move your residence and do ALL business through your "no name" trust. It costs about $400 per year after a $1000 start-up cost.

Don't order pizza for delivery, ever.

Good luck.

12Foxtrot4

Last edited by 12Foxtrot4; 17 August 2016 at 20:37. Reason: Punctuation......my three years of fourth grade are failing me....
Old 17 August 2016, 20:36
Confirmed User

Oh yeah, subscribe to all utilities through your trust and do not give PIi with any company that has a long set of conditions.
Old 17 August 2016, 21:54
Important nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg4139 View Post
I feel selfish hopping around the LE forum resurrecting old threads; but at the same time much has changed since this thread last active. I begin my academy next month, and was curious if there's any other PERSEC I should be aware of- besides the obvious?

I have no facebook, minimal web presence and that which is there doesn't have my name on it. I'm in TX and have taken note of the area specific suggestions so far in this thread. A few bills in my name, currently renting an apartment so no home ownership on county tax records.

Just trying to get ahead of the curve. Thanks for the help so far.

The way things are going these days, when you graduate, resist putting stickers or shields on your personal cars that ID you or family as LEO related.
Old 18 August 2016, 00:57
0311/8651

If you shoot a bad don't talk to the FBI. Always record them
Old 18 August 2016, 08:34
Animal Tamer

At the point in my career I am now I say keep your skills sharp, protect and insulate your family as well as you can, and always be prepared to take things to the next level when encountering potential bad guys. You should always have the following items readily accessible, no matter if fishing on your boat, mowing your yard, or walking in the mall with family.

Pistol
At least one reload
Knife
Flashlight
Med kit
Cell phone
Restraints (can be as simple as shoestring style flex cuffs)

When I say keep your skills sharp that includes shooting and the other normal LE type training but also taking care of your body. I went thru a period as an LE manager where I made excuses for not going to the gym. I got sloppy and out of shape. Big mistake. I've been back in gym now for three years straight and am 47 years old. I don't heal as fast now but can run three miles in under 27 minutes and bench almost twice my body weight and I weigh just over 200 pounds. Bottom line is that if you are going to do this job you owe it to your family, yourself, and those you protect to be in good shape. Don't be that sloppy fat-ass cop no one can count on to back them up.

Be respectful to the public but have a mindset where you are always ready to escalate if needed. Don't become complacent.
Old 18 August 2016, 09:18
Authorized Personnel

^^^Very well said my brother! You hit all the key points!
Old 18 August 2016, 10:35

Duck Marshal,
Good advice, well said, and stay safe
Old 18 August 2016, 12:30
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
At the point in my career I am now I say keep your skills sharp, protect and insulate your family as well as you can, and always be prepared to take things to the next level when encountering potential bad guys. You should always have the following items readily accessible, no matter if fishing on your boat, mowing your yard, or walking in the mall with family.

Pistol
At least one reload
Knife
Flashlight
Med kit
Cell phone
Restraints (can be as simple as shoestring style flex cuffs)

When I say keep your skills sharp that includes shooting and the other normal LE type training but also taking care of your body. I went thru a period as an LE manager where I made excuses for not going to the gym. I got sloppy and out of shape. Big mistake. I've been back in gym now for three years straight and am 47 years old. I don't heal as fast now but can run three miles in under 27 minutes and bench almost twice my body weight and I weigh just over 200 pounds. Bottom line is that if you are going to do this job you owe it to your family, yourself, and those you protect to be in good shape. Don't be that sloppy fat-ass cop no one can count on to back them up.

Be respectful to the public but have a mindset where you are always ready to escalate if needed. Don't become complacent.
On point...Very well stated.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 18 August 2016, 16:10
Clorox bearer for SOTB

If you are going to assume anything, assume that everyone you try to arrest is going to try to kill you at some point. Someday, you won't be disappointed.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 24 December 2016, 00:26
Confirmed User

Paranoia

It's healthy to be somewhat paranoid. Watch your six. Look in your rear view for familiar vehicles. Be suspicious of "coincidences", sometimes they're not! An arrestee once admitted to following me home with his buddy for the purpose of hitting my house later. As referenced above, complacency kills.
Old 24 December 2016, 11:51
Social Claymore

I have had cars drive by and take photos of my house. Pretty sure it was a recon.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 26 December 2016, 01:04
Animal Tamer

If i see a car that stays behind me for any unreasonable period of time i never go straight home.
Old 26 December 2016, 10:36

Thank y'all dearly for the advice. I've got about 9 more weeks in my academy then it's off to the road. I am curious to insight if anyone has suggestions on the take home vehicle. I plan on hiding all my bills etc... but having the black and white come to the same house each day is quite an indicator- clearly means you must have every other layer of security in check since anyone who WANTS to find you, will.

I plan on parking it in the garage and like Duck Marshall said- never go straight home/ alternate routes etc...

The only plus side is I'll be in a part of the country that is VERY LE friendly, but still plenty of dirt bags.
Old 26 December 2016, 15:00
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
If i see a car that stays behind me for any unreasonable period of time i never go straight home.
I have a convenient little network of SD routes near my house. Wife doesn't even bat an eyelash anymore.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 26 December 2016, 20:30
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg4139 View Post
Thank y'all dearly for the advice. I've got about 9 more weeks in my academy then it's off to the road. I am curious to insight if anyone has suggestions on the take home vehicle. I plan on hiding all my bills etc... but having the black and white come to the same house each day is quite an indicator- clearly means you must have every other layer of security in check since anyone who WANTS to find you, will.

I plan on parking it in the garage and like Duck Marshall said- never go straight home/ alternate routes etc...

The only plus side is I'll be in a part of the country that is VERY LE friendly, but still plenty of dirt bags.
Brother, I am past the point where I worry about the bad guys knowing where me and family live. You can't prevent it...and, in this day and age, you can barely slow it down. They know where you live. If I feel I am being followed, I confront it. If someone wants to meet me...we are going to do it on my terms. I'm too old to play stupid games with people.

If you have a marked unit and are concerned about people seeing it and knowing you are LE, you may want to do something else. I'm not trying to shoot you down or talk down to you, but that shouldn't be a concern, IMO.
Old 26 December 2016, 20:49
Social Claymore

Alot of real good advice in this thread.

Train your family. Train your family. Train your family.

Old 26 December 2016, 21:16
Authorized Personnel

I lived and worked in both a large jurisdiction and a small one with a take home car. In a small or rural town, everyone knows you and where you live, don't try to kid yourself. The best thing you can do is be mentally and physically prepared to take action at all times. Equipment is necessary, but only half the battle, you must work out and you must be mentally in the game everyday. Treat people right and it will come back to you tenfold, maybe not that night, but years later when they stand up for you in public or are on a jury. There are no easy fixes to hard problems and don't expect that you will solve the hard problems you come across by yourself. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it and keep your dick in your damn pants.

CG
Old 26 December 2016, 22:05
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucible guy View Post
keep your dick in your damn pants.
THIS is the one nugget that will ensure a nice long career.
Old 28 December 2016, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
Brother, I am past the point where I worry about the bad guys knowing where me and family live. You can't prevent it...and, in this day and age, you can barely slow it down. They know where you live. If I feel I am being followed, I confront it. If someone wants to meet me...we are going to do it on my terms. I'm too old to play stupid games with people.

If you have a marked unit and are concerned about people seeing it and knowing you are LE, you may want to do something else. I'm not trying to shoot you down or talk down to you, but that shouldn't be a concern, IMO.
Not "concerned" per se, just curious if there was anything I had missed. I'm in it for the long haul.

The wife already got her CHL and has taken a few pistol courses on her own to get trained up as well. (I figured her learning from someone else would keep it less stress free and make her more open to instruction than from me, well worth the $)

I've got no issues confronting the turd, it's the wife being marked that I have concern with.

Our new posting rules