Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 27 January 2011, 16:13
Authorized Personnel

[QUOTE=grog18b;832977#3--To go with #2- Dogs-- Not only mans best friend, but criminals worst enemy. Make sure you stick with territorial and protective breeds like German Shephards or Doberman. Poodles don't work well... Let them out in the fenced yard while you are home and away. It's one more thing they will have to get by prior to your house.
[/QUOTE]
#2 is a biggy. I currently run a unit that works burglaries. Had a long string of B&Es where suspicious males were ringing door bells and then breaking in "when nobody answered the door". Finally locked four juvies up for it recently and debriefed them. They told us they weren't ringing door bells to see if anyone was home, they were listening for dogs. Any sign of a dog, and they went to the next house.
Old 27 January 2011, 16:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawS7 View Post
#2 is a biggy. I currently run a unit that works burglaries. Had a long string of B&Es where suspicious males were ringing door bells and then breaking in "when nobody answered the door". Finally locked four juvies up for it recently and debriefed them. They told us they weren't ringing door bells to see if anyone was home, they were listening for dogs. Any sign of a dog, and they went to the next house.
I'm smiling because my dobie didn't bark. He wouldn't even growl before going for your throat.
Old 27 January 2011, 16:26
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by txb&b View Post
I'm smiling because my dobie didn't bark. He wouldn't even growl before going for your throat.
I let people ring the doorbell, then wait to see what they do when I don't answer... So far... no luck.

I believe my timberwolf story is floating around here somewhere. Dude had one as a "guard dog". The wagging tail when I approached was due to his seeing me as a food source, not as a potential playmate.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 27 January 2011, 17:41
Authorized Personnel

HAHA! We should just leave the door wide open, with jewelry and cash laying within sight and then wait....

On a serious note, we had a B&E last week that got me thinking. BG rang door bell, banged on door, nobody answered so he went around to back door, kicked it open and entered the house. Unbeknownst to him, there was a nine year old in the house who had always been told by his parents, "Don't answer the door if someone comes to it while we are gone". So he didn't.

But he was smart enough to covertly watch what was going on. He saw a strange man (BG) ringing the door bell. Then, the BG motioned across the street to another BG in a car. That BG drove the car into the driveway and around to the back of the house. The boy grabbed a phone, ran upstairs, hid in a closet and called.... his Dad. His Dad told him he was on the way home and to call 911. By the time the Police and Dad got home the BGs had already left the house (stole a jewelry box).

I hadn't really thought of it before, but many of us train our kids the same way. We need to make sure we talk through a plan in case the BG takes advantage of nobody answering the door and breaks in. I am still kicking around age appropriate options- hide and call 911, immediately exit the house out a different door, yell and scream bloody murder, turn on a TV or radio really loudly. Just something to think about and add to the safety list....

What do you guys think???
Old 27 January 2011, 19:40
Clorox bearer for SOTB

The family should always be included in any security plans. That includes knowing what to do when you run into someone you've put away while off duty and with the family. Also, the wife and I have seperate cell phones. Instant commo should something happen while we are out. (she goes clothes shopping, and I hit Gander Mtn... until she's done)

She also knows that when we go to eat, I get the seat with the back to the wall, if there is one, or facing the door if not.

Family also needs to know what to do if the shooting starts. Don't wait to educate them.

Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 27 January 2011, 20:27
On the Razor's Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post

She also knows that when we go to eat, I get the seat with the back to the wall, if there is one, or facing the door if not.
Ironically, retired from LE in 1992 and I still sit with my back to the wall in a restaurant if possible. Old habits never die, so to speak.
Old 7 March 2011, 22:53

adding my .02 to #4....my house was broken into last november. nothing was taken out due to a "double-ended" deadbolt that can ONLY be unlocked by a key from either end. the manufacturer is called "defiant". there may be other manufacturers out there but this is the one i use. also simple lil window locks held by allen screws sure beats the wooden stick method. found them both at home depot. they broke in only to find out that nothing worth their risk was capable of being hauled out before the neighbors called the local PD after they heard the alarm system kick off. they couldnt even make a quick break out the door, they had to crawk back thru the glass-mess they made.
Old 7 March 2011, 23:20

website good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
Anyone have any experience with home surveillance NV camera systems? I need about 5 cameras, a monitor, and a DVR to record. I would like to keep the cost manageable.
try www.homesecuritystore.com
Old 7 March 2011, 23:33
On the Razor's Edge

www.scdlink.com

www.supercircuits.com
Old 3 October 2011, 14:33
Right-handed bear.

It's important to have "the talk" with the wife and kids. I make it a point, about once a year or so, to explain to them what I need them to do if we are out as a family and some D-bag decides he recognizes me and decides to give it a go. I explain to them that when we walk together, to try (the kids are still little, so....) to walk on my left (right handed shooter, gun more easily accessible to right hand). I explain to them that when I tell them to get away from me, I REALLY need them to get away from me quickly, and go directly to the car. The wife knows that when this happens, she is to call local PD (911), tell them where we are, that I"m po-po, given them a detailed description of me, tell them what is going on, and that I'm armed. I especially impress on the kids to NOT say things like "my daddy's a policeman and he'll arrest you etc". We've even practiced the drill at home. It may sound extreme, but, as you all know, the rules change when your family is with you. And sooner or later, it will happen. Happened to me at the Wal-Mart check line a few years ago. The family did exacly what they were supposed to do, and I was able to totally focus on the situation at hand. Me and D-bag reached an understanding, and it turned out ok.
Old 3 October 2011, 15:34
Confirmed User

Great thread to bump. I have it bookmarked on my computer and reread it every once in a while myself. Complacency will kill you, so I need to keep some of the ideas in this thread fresh in my head as reminders once in a while. Good thread for a spouse to read as well.
Old 11 November 2011, 21:50
Confirmed User

#9. add on.... I run drills with my kids at least once per month. We do the standard fire evac stuff. But we also do break in drills. What to do with all three home, what about only 2 or alone. All have assignments, one sprays, one has back up spray in case of failure for first,and one is calling 911. Where do we place ourselves if different starting area. It is amazing how many new questions are asked each month. It prompts conversations about all kinds of persec topics. I am very greatful that they are interested and seem to understand the importance. We also do DT as often as we can. It is all about helping them think through problems. I am doing my best to teach them how to fish.
Old 4 February 2012, 21:17
grumpyjoe
Visitor

WOW!! Same as our updates at the range. I followed my fathers advice and his fathers advice. 3 generations of LE and not one attack? Either we were too little of a target or something was done right. You can carry all the ammo in the world but if no one has ur back it does little. Also you can't watch ur family and yourself all the time. Some one else has to watch ur family.

I let the schools know I was a cop. Yep all the dirtbags with my kids knew it too.

I let the local trash know I meant business and to stay away from my home unless they wanted me at theirs. Off duty was off duty.

On duty in their homes I gave them respect even if they were total and absolute biblical trash. By giving just some respect they returned the favor when I was off duty.

When in the jails I did not play the holy superior when talking with them. They got caught and the courts have to deal with them. We the police are done.

I practiced with my weapons, guns, batons, handholds, and most of all voice. When I yelled they knew I was in control for the moment. When things settled down again I gave respect expecting the same.

Less than 5 off duty encounters. No all were not great but 4 off duty encounters some shithead stood up to say he is OK.

My IA files are somewhat larger than I would like to say. What I am proud to say is 95% of the claims were disputed by crooks and bystanders who were told I was a good guy. The other 5% I could care less about, they were personal attacks and meant nothing.

I sell and install home video systems. It is cheap. Less than $500 will get 4 cameras and a DVR. You can use your TV with picture in picture to view who is in your driveway. Personally I have several cameras hidden and out in the open and tell everyone in town I monitor and record 24-7. The first guy who cut my tire was approached in less than 2 days and paid me over 3 weeks for the tire. He was terrified because he roomed with an inmate worker that saw me on the range. Knowing what I was capable of and how many ratted him out because it was my truck was enough.

Don't get me wrong I do not live with these people but I live next door to many of them. In the jails I ran all the courts to see where they lived. I was amazed at how many deps lived on the same street. My drive to and from work was always about 50-65 miles. It would be the longest tail to follow me. But all my neighbors still knew me. Everyone in the wrecking yards knew me. Home Depot, lowes, the mall.... They know. Give tham a reason to mess with someone else.

My dad always said, " If you leave a Doberman inside the car with all the windows wide open, the crook will still go 3 cars down to avoid getting bit." Avoid the contact not arm yourself for it. All crooks out here look for 2 wallets, one for ID and Badge the other for money photos and cards. All crooks know how to see concealed guns. Remember they shoot each other too. Having a gun and lots of ammo is no good as they know your a cop and have another gun behind you too. Where there is one there is another.

Now that I am retired I still get the same respect from some of the worst I knew. I knew the Master at Arms of the local Vagos for 3 months before we both realized each others job. Hey it was little league. Oh yes they like baseball too. Because I did not disrespect him he never disrespected me. In his case that would have been a bullet.

OOps this was supposed to be a quick reply.....sorry just my humble opinion
Heros are mostly found at the Cemetary. Be safe, be respectful, be professional.
Romans 13 also helps when told in front of the entire family. Moms and Grandmoms are great.
Old 8 February 2012, 18:15
Bland user

good thread. I've been thinking of signing on as a reserve deputy.
I need to beef up the home security. I'm also looking at joining one or two counties away so I've got 20+ miles between my home and department.
They offer a car you can keep at home. No thanks.
Old 8 February 2012, 21:38
Authorized Personnel

@ Duckmarshal - I was just at Costco the other day they had a system with several cameras, dvr etc. I was not in the market, so passed by, but it seemed to have much of what you are looking for.

CG
Old 26 May 2012, 11:12

Most IP camera systems (more pro version of webcams) come with an app for viewing the feed from a smartphone. I just bought a system similar to the ones below for under $600.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...334&CatId=6037
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=Q300-2296
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...371&CatId=6036

It also works well for a "nanny cam" if you have kids and use babysitters.
Old 14 July 2012, 03:24
Puppy Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Good, you removed yourself from Zaba. Now, all you have to do is go and make this request to the other 20 or 30 internet companies that sell the exact same information as Zaba, and continue to keep making the requests to new companies like Zaba as they are formed.
I wondered if anyone has had any experience using this "Delete Me" service? Looks interesting but thought I would ask here before I forked over any money.

http://www.abine.com/deletemedetail.php
Old 15 July 2012, 18:42
Clorox bearer for SOTB

[QUOTE=grumpyjoe;1058095844] I followed my fathers advice and his fathers advice. 3 generations of LE and not one attack? Either we were too little of a target or something was done right. You can carry all the ammo in the world but if no one has ur back it does little. Also you can't watch ur family and yourself all the time. Some one else has to watch ur family.

I let the schools know I was a cop.

I let the local trash know I meant business and to stay away from my home unless they wanted me at theirs. Off duty was off duty.

On duty in their homes I gave them respect even if they were total and absolute biblical trash. By giving just some respect they returned the favor when I was off duty.

When in the jails I did not play the holy superior when talking with them. They got caught and the courts have to deal with them. We the police are done.

I practiced with my weapons, guns, batons, handholds, and most of all voice. When I yelled they knew I was in control for the moment. When things settled down again I gave respect expecting the same.

Less than 5 off duty encounters. No all were not great but 4 off duty encounters some shithead stood up to say he is OK.

My IA files are somewhat larger than I would like to say. What I am proud to say is 95% of the claims were disputed by crooks and bystanders who were told I was a good guy. The other 5% I could care less about, they were personal attacks and meant nothing.

Don't get me wrong I do not live with these people but I live next door to many of them. In the jails I ran all the courts to see where they lived. I was amazed at how many deps lived on the same street. My drive to and from work was always about 50-65 miles. It would be the longest tail to follow me. But all my neighbors still knew me. Everyone in the wrecking yards knew me. Home Depot, lowes, the mall.... They know. Give them a reason to mess with someone else.

My dad always said, " If you leave a Doberman inside the car with all the windows wide open, the crook will still go 3 cars down to avoid getting bit." Avoid the contact not arm yourself for it. All crooks out here look for 2 wallets, one for ID and Badge the other for money photos and cards. All crooks know how to see concealed guns. Remember they shoot each other too. Having a gun and lots of ammo is no good as they know your a cop and have another gun behind you too. Where there is one there is another.

Now that I am retired I still get the same respect from some of the worst I knew.

Heros are mostly found at the Cemetary. Be safe, be respectful, be professional.
[QUOTE]

Well... I read the above post, and, not to get into any kind of argument... I will agree to disagree on much of what is posted as advice in it... for any active or retired LEO. Matter of fact, pretty much the only thing I agree with is your last statement about being safe and professional. Respect comes with professionalism. Now... for the benefit of the thread...

You start by assuming that since you and your seniors have been doing the same thing for three generations, that either you are doing something right or too little of a target... I don't think you took option #3 into consideration...

You've been lucky. Very lucky. Only 5 off duty encounters in a 20+ year career. I will accept that as a fact, but it does not mean what you think it means. One day, I hope you don't find out the hard way. It really has nothing to do with the respect you have for the criminals. The sure thing is, that they don't respect or care about you, or your family, or their lives, at least not as much as you think they do. Criminals and predators (I've hunted and arrested them for years...) are creatures of opportunity. If they see an opportunity, they will take it, regardless of who you are, and if everyone "knows" or "respects" you.

I hardly ever tell anyone what I do, or did. That's part of PERSEC. What I do believe in is being prepared. Call me an old Boy Scout. Cameras may help ID criminals, but if that's your only protection, it will provide other police evidence of what happened to you and your family. Not much good to you, but, hey, it will help the responding officers figure out what happened to your bodies, and how they got in those weird positions...

I believe that after a long period of officer's not having bad things happen to them, they do tend to get complacent. As does someone on guard duty, or someone that works in prisons. They assume that their reputation in the community will somehow protect them. Or, their reputation within the prison community. When an officer relies on this as a form of protection, he/she will not be ready when the "bad man" comes. I don't much care for Col Grossman, or his "advice", but one thing he did say that I really do agree with is... "If you leave your home without a firearm, just say to yourself "Baaaaa..."" You make yourself a victim in waiting.

Firearms are called the "great equalizer" for a reason. You may be Bruce Lee when it comes to the Kung-Fu dojo (not you personally, I'm addressing other readers) but when you're attacked by a number of armed bikers (let's say), it might help you, it probably won't. We, as LEO's train with firearms for a reason. We assume (not unlike the Airborne) that we will be surrounded, outnumbered, and will still have to handle the "problem". One of the only ways we can do that is to be armed, trained, and prepared.

You say that "having a gun and lots of ammo is no good, because they know you are a cop..." This statement really doesn't make much sense to me, perhaps you can elaborate? I mean, I don't carry three guns, or two, or 8 magazines of ammo for each. I carry one pistol. I usually have 12 rounds in it. I would hope that I would not become involved in an incident that would take more rounds than that. Or more guns. However, I cannot predict that accurately. One thing I can predict is, that at some point, someone will try for the "title", and I prepare for that day. I go over and over things, not only in my mind, but at the range. Real practice. Real prepared. Having the respect of criminals will not help you when the bad man comes. Avoiding contact will also not help you when the bad man comes. He will be coming for you, or your family. Of course you cannot protect your family 100% of the time, but you can help prepare them, and you can make sure that YOU are 100% ready at least most of the time... I believe you should take stock of your personal situation, and perhaps change a bit of your family tradition... Relying on luck and the roll of the dice will only get you so far in life, and on the streets. Stay safe, even in your retirement Bro, GROG

Quote:
"The Reaper"
Old 21 July 2012, 01:25
Puppy Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Good, you removed yourself from Zaba. Now, all you have to do is go and make this request to the other 20 or 30 internet companies that sell the exact same information as Zaba, and continue to keep making the requests to new companies like Zaba as they are formed.
Anyone here have experience with this service?

https://www.privacyforcops.org/

Forgive me but I am very suspicious....
Old 21 July 2012, 02:04
Policeman Officer

Here's a service that does all the work for you:

https://safeshepherd.com/
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Our new posting rules