SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 27 November 2019, 01:09
Hard to Kill

Rogue Fitness Sand Bags

Si, I still like my kettle bells, but I saw some utoobs on sand bags and decided to give it a try. I did some research and the Brute Force were good ones and the Rogue got good ratings. The smaller one is 70 lbs and thats what I worked out with. The larger one will hold up to about 180, I put about 110 lbs in it. Its new name is bag of shit

I got them in UPS today, filled them with sand and did a short work out of cleans, swings, different drags and walking with them on my shoulder. A pretty good workout. Anyone use them? Any recommendations?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rogue sand bags.jpg (50.0 KB, 155 views)
Old 27 November 2019, 08:06
BTDT

I have one I made a loooooong time ago, after getting Ross Enamit's books - Used a Kit Bag and Gallon Bags of sand for adjustability. I should use it more.

The Karen Proclamation: I fear the virus. I fear the outside. I fear other citizens. I will remain inside forever and live twice is long. I sit with Karen, now and eternally.
Old 27 November 2019, 08:12
Confirmed User

I have had one for a couple years and use it about once a week doing the same exercises you listed. I also have the rogue pull up bar with slip on over size grips that I will work in with the workout. For arms are normally burning by the end of it.
I filled mine with fire pellets instead of sand so I would not have sand creeping out on to the floor.
Old 27 November 2019, 09:06
Been There Done That

I work in sand bag get ups, clean and run, toss and chase, etc. with a 70 pound Rogue bag.
Old 27 November 2019, 13:24
Hard to Kill

I do like a good turkish get up. The toss and chase seems like a good exercise as well. I'll have to try it out.
Old 27 November 2019, 13:41
Confirmed User

Because of fairly extensive shoulder surgery, I can't handle the weight, but I do like them because they force me to use more of the stabilizing and accessory muscles. I use the Goruck bags, but it seems a sand bag is a sand bag is a sand bag....
Old 27 November 2019, 14:47
Confirmed User

I'll have to give them a try. I do have to be careful with overhead lift due to a past injury. Pretty much use resistance bands and dumbbells.
Old 27 November 2019, 15:55
Confirmed User

I have belonged to my current gym for about two months and the reason that I decided to try it out was for the sand bags of various weights.

I have been slowly incorporating the sand bags into my routine: sit ups, presses, tosses, farmers carry etc.. I believe the weights go 25, 30, 35, 40, 45.

I have also slowly started using the prowler sled, and going to various cardio boot camp classes along with the sand bags.

I like the fact that I have to incorporate more stabilizing muscles throughout the movement plus it is slowly rebuilding my confidence which has sunk to a new low due to getting hurt.

Stupid SI joints and hips are not responding to therapy like I was hoping.
Old 27 November 2019, 16:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I do like a good turkish get up. The toss and chase seems like a good exercise as well. I'll have to try it out.
Ten minutes of either. The only real difference with the sandbag get up is the bag is over your shoulder.
Old 27 November 2019, 19:57
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Rogue Fitness stuff is AWESOME stuff. And they're a good company. They do a lot of veteran fitness stuff, and if something breaks, they don't quibble when it comes to making it right.

Anything they sell is spot on.

I ALWAYS use sandbags. And being an MMA nerd, it's been one of the smartest strength/conditioning moves ever. The only thing that adds more mentally limited strength than sandbags is a Bulgarian Bag. Imagine a 26 pound leather croisant, that was shaped after the Bulgarian Olympic Team coach had them made for the wrestling team so that they could stop running up mountains with their sheep on their back. I've never had a piece of equipment increase everything so brutally.

Do you have any sandbag specific workouts? I've a few if interested.

Work those bags, and consider a Bulgarian Bag. BTW, it was also instrumental in my recovery from a broken back in 2016. Amazing for mobility too.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 27 November 2019, 21:34
Legal Immigrant

Just out of curiosity, any reason you went with Rogue and not Brute Force sandbags?
Old 27 November 2019, 22:44
Calculating Infinity...

Thumbs up

Great to see this thread, as I have just fashioned a 100# sandbag from an old seabag and a 50# out of an old ruck. I've got some workouts planned but would be very interested in what others are doing.
Old 27 November 2019, 23:18
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
Just out of curiosity, any reason you went with Rogue and not Brute Force sandbags?
I read the reviews on a third party study and there were a few that said the brute force had some early wear issues. FWIW, The Brute Force were rated #1 and Rogue #2.

The selling point was the funnel bag for the sand and velcro inside the bag to hold the bag. They also have crumbled rubber you can put in as opposed to sand. I ended up not getting the rubber, but the funnel bags was easy to fill. The review also stated they were very rugged.
Old 27 November 2019, 23:32
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Rogue Fitness stuff is AWESOME stuff. And they're a good company. They do a lot of veteran fitness stuff, and if something breaks, they don't quibble when it comes to making it right.

Anything they sell is spot on.

I ALWAYS use sandbags. And being an MMA nerd, it's been one of the smartest strength/conditioning moves ever. The only thing that adds more mentally limited strength than sandbags is a Bulgarian Bag. Imagine a 26 pound leather croisant, that was shaped after the Bulgarian Olympic Team coach had them made for the wrestling team so that they could stop running up mountains with their sheep on their back. I've never had a piece of equipment increase everything so brutally.

Do you have any sandbag specific workouts? I've a few if interested.

Work those bags, and consider a Bulgarian Bag. BTW, it was also instrumental in my recovery from a broken back in 2016. Amazing for mobility too.
A lot of the ones I initially looked at were basically kettle bell exercises. Some new ones I like are the ones where you throw the bag and chase it and where you drag it while moving on all fours. The lateral or twisting movements are good as well.
Old 27 November 2019, 23:36
Attitude is Everything

Quote:
A lot of the ones I initially looked at were basically kettle bell exercises. Some new ones I like are the ones where you throw the bag and chase it and where you drag it while moving on all fours. The lateral or twisting movements are good as well.
Pat McNamara routinely uses them in his combat fit workouts. I use his videos for workout ideas.
Old 28 November 2019, 08:14
BTDT

I'm frugal

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=aviators+...f=nb_sb_noss_2

The Karen Proclamation: I fear the virus. I fear the outside. I fear other citizens. I will remain inside forever and live twice is long. I sit with Karen, now and eternally.
Old 28 November 2019, 10:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
Great to see this thread, as I have just fashioned a 100# sandbag from an old seabag and a 50# out of an old ruck. I've got some workouts planned but would be very interested in what others are doing.
That's a great idea, the sea bag. How'd you do it??
Old 28 November 2019, 10:16
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Quote:
Here is a link from Onnit that's specifically about sandbags. There's some really cool stuff here.
https://www.onnit.com/ academy/sandbag/ (remove the space)

For those that might be interested, I have an entire sandbag program that's too big to post or email. If interested, PM me and I'll send a Dropbox link.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 28 November 2019, 10:17
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Pat McNamara routinely uses them in his combat fit workouts. I use his videos for workout ideas.
I see his vids on Linked in of all places. Always some good inspiration from Pat Mac. That's the reason I got the large bag, 90 lb dummy drags and tosses.
Old 28 November 2019, 10:30
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Some things on using a regular kit bag, merely from my extremely limited use and Poly-like research.

- Limit on exercises and hand positions due to the lack of handles. Using handles oriented the wrong direction can torque your wrist

- Durability, these rogue bags and the brute force bags are known for durability. The kit bag handles will surely tear off and the thinner lighter material will wear and fail.

-Material retention. A lot of complaints are about sand / material retention. The specialty sand bags, like the rogue are designed to retain the sand by using an inner and outer bag, both of admirable thickness and apparent durability. There are utoobs on making inner bags with truck inner tubes and all, but if you have that kinda a time and access to old inner tubes, just spend the extra bucks and get a quality piece of kit that will function as needed and lessen your chances for injury.

Our new posting rules