SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 6 December 2019, 12:00
Confirmed User

Trend of incidents/attacks at bases

The shooting at Pearl Harbor was a Sailor so I'm leaving that out until a motive is announced.

But....Gate runner using vehicle at Robins AFB in Oct.... LINK

Gate runner at Little Creek-Ft. Story 2 December....LINK

Both speeding into the exit lanes.

Now a shooting at NAS Pensacola....LINK
Old 6 December 2019, 14:16
Confirmed User

Pensacola shooter was a Saudi student.

From the NYTs so I won't link to prevent them getting clicks, but...

Quote:
Three people were shot dead early Friday at the Naval Air Station in Pensacola, Fla., and the gunman has been identified as a Saudi national, according to three sources familiar with the investigation.
Old 6 December 2019, 15:20
Confirmed User

From FOXNEWS, https://www.foxnews.com/us/naval-air...n-place-issued
Old 6 December 2019, 16:58
BT,WBTWC

Quote:
The shooter -- who was wielding a handgun, despite firearms not being allowed on base -- was confronted and taken out by a pair of responding officers, officials say.

Wow, I guess Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani didn't get the word.
Old 6 December 2019, 21:11
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
Wow, I guess Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani didn't get the word.
I believe his presence at the base was a part of this effort:

Quote:
In June 2017, the United States approved the continuation of a blanket order training program that includes flight training, technical training, professional military education, specialized training, mobile training teams, and English language training, valued at $750 million.
I could think of a few better ways to spend $750 million.
Old 7 December 2019, 05:53
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
I believe his presence at the base was a part of this effort:

I could think of a few better ways to spend $750 million.
The Saudis pay us to train them.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 8 December 2019, 01:46
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
The Saudis pay us to train them.
Are we only teaching them to take off?

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 8 December 2019, 03:41

Cannot even put into words how heartwarming it was to see POTUS immediately accept the King's assurance that they were all horrified at the latest incident.

His immediate tweet about how sorry they were, and how much they intended to help, really made things better.
Old 6 December 2019, 19:12
Confirmed User

RIP.

The Pensacola incident hits really close; it hasn’t been long at all since a lot of my buddies and myself went through there and had classes in those buildings, often with the Saudis. I’m glad the response was quick, because it could have been a lot worse at that time of day.
Old 7 December 2019, 04:18
Drawing my cutlass

This may not be a case of terrorism, I have a suspicion it may be related to his performance as a student pilot. No doubt his records are being checked.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 7 December 2019, 12:25
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
This may not be a case of terrorism, I have a suspicion it may be related to his performance as a student pilot. No doubt his records are being checked.
...and.... it's terrorism.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/naval-air-station-shooter-manifesto-us-nation-of-evil
Old 7 December 2019, 17:12
BTDT

Another Gun Free Kill Zone where only the Bad Guy ignored the "Gun Free" part. RIP peeps.

"It's A Long Way, To 61,000 If You Want To Rock And Roll"

"Team Apocalypse"
COVID-19 Deaths: 6,095

Economy Wasn't Destroyed For:
2009 "Swine Flu" Deaths: 12,000
2017/2018 Influenza Deaths: 61,000

12 April 2009 to 10 April 2010, 60.8 million cases, 274,304 hospitalizations, and 12,469 deaths due to H1N1

2017/2018 Health Care System "Shock": 45 million people getting sick with influenza, 21 million people going to a health care provider, with 810,000 hospitalizations.

Old 7 December 2019, 15:31
Old and Broke

Quote:
It could have changed, but I doubt it; in the 80's policy was to not fail students from Muslim countries because they might be jailed upon return to the home country.

We figured they'd just kill themselves once they got home and everyone would blame Allah.
Old 7 December 2019, 07:09
Confirmed User

I am sure, as stated above, it was a case of him failing out and he took it upon himself to kill those that failed him. But, the question remains, who gave him the weapon?
Old 7 December 2019, 07:14
Confirmed User

Six saudis taken into custody. 3 were filming the incident.. Sounds like they were seeing how we react.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/break...-military-base
Old 7 December 2019, 08:02
Drawing my cutlass

From a Fox article.

Quote:
Saudis have received training at the Pensacola site since the 1970s, with as many as 20 students from the Middle Eastern country in any given class, sources told Fox News. Many of the students are often from the Royal Family, putting pressure on officials to pass pilots through the training program in an attempt to preserve diplomacy with the U.S. ally.

Many U.S. military pilots have complained for decades that some of the Saudi pilots are not safe flyers, sources said.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...a-shooting.amp

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy

Last edited by Justaclerk; 7 December 2019 at 08:18.
Old 7 December 2019, 14:44
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Saudis have received training at the Pensacola site since the 1970s, with as many as 20 students from the Middle Eastern country in any given class, sources told Fox News. Many of the students are often from the Royal Family, putting pressure on officials to pass pilots through the training program in an attempt to preserve diplomacy with the U.S. ally.

Many U.S. military pilots have complained for decades that some of the Saudi pilots are not safe flyers, sources said.
That's spot on. Without exaggerating, In 25 years I may have heard of one military student pilot from the Middle East that didn't suck. I've seen them myself, and heard the same from literally every single guy I know that has instructed them since I went through in 1992. It's a work ethic and accountability thing, and it carries over to their follow on squadrons when they get back home.

During a Southern Watch deployment in Kuwait, I was BSing with a couple of former US Navy F-18 pilots that the Kuwaiti Air Force had hired as instructors. I asked how the Kuwaitis were and they said "They're fucking horrible. They're all in the royal family, half the time we can't fly the schedule because they don't bother to show up, and they're impossible to instruct. Keep your head on a swivel when they're airborne."

Couple days later, a two ship of hornets flew right through my tac 4 ship of A-10s, not on purpose, despite having one of the best airborne radars in the world at that time. Turned out, that sort of thing was not unusual. They're a fucking menace even without the jihad part.

I would also like to know where he got the gun.
Old 7 December 2019, 11:57
Been There Done That

Yeah.... the Saudi/Mideast students rarely graduate as an honor grad. Most of them fail just enough to stay here has long as they possibly can.

If there were other students planning/watching/filming.... Seems more than just, “I’m mad I’m failing, and it’s their fault.”
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 7 December 2019, 12:21
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
Yeah.... the Saudi/Mideast students rarely graduate as an honor grad. Most of them fail just enough to stay here has long as they possibly can.

If there were other students planning/watching/filming.... Seems more than just, “I’m mad I’m failing, and it’s their fault.”
Or the possibility they’re all failing and he drew the short straw on committing the act.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 7 December 2019, 12:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Or the possibility they’re all failing and he drew the short straw on committing the act.
I just don’t buy a conspiracy of retaliation for being bad at the job, based on what I saw. maybe if they’re all in their own class. Not sure how the Navy runs theirs, but Army just stuck individuals into classes and they recycled phases until they got called home or eventually graduated.

School of the Americas ran their own program, in Spanish. AF did too (in AF I presume). But Europeans and Saudis were plugged into our classes individually.

If the Navy does the same, the Saudis had to have conspired on the attack. That speaks more to ideology than anger to me based on what I saw of them when I was in courses.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Our new posting rules