SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Terrorism and Asymmetric Warfare

Old 21 December 2019, 12:51

Disinformation on social media

I figured this or the technology section would better suit a discussion on what looks to be an issue going on, has been going on, with social media. The amount of websites pushing for one side or the other in regards to this recent gun rights debate is insane. I have been seeing an uptick in dumb civil war and 2nd amendment sharing by persons who have no idea the backing of those sites.

Now, is it me or is this the perfect time for an adversary or even an ally to put forth effort in funding or backing of this disinformation. I am sure it has been done in the past with various situations. I have several "friends" on social media who continue to share share share this stuff without even really taking the time to do any analytical thought or research on where this information is coming from.

What are yall's thoughts on the current state of disinformation.
Old 21 December 2019, 13:22
Shakin' the bush Boss

I caught part of an article on the radio today about the rise in computer generated "fake people" on social media. AI generated photos, etc for fake Facebook and Instagram accounts. I'm sure both us and our adversaries are exploring ways to "fan the flames" on an issue. Propaganda is ageless, just the methods are changing and it's getting easier to distribute.
Old 21 December 2019, 13:42
Did...did I do that?

Fake people? Like this?

https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/
Old 21 December 2019, 13:53
Shakin' the bush Boss

I don't do social media other than here, so it's all fairly foreign to me, but it does make a lot of sense as a way to sway opinion. Times, they are a'changing.
Old 21 December 2019, 17:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
I figured this or the technology section would better suit a discussion on what looks to be an issue going on, has been going on, with social media. The amount of websites pushing for one side or the other in regards to this recent gun rights debate is insane. I have been seeing an uptick in dumb civil war and 2nd amendment sharing by persons who have no idea the backing of those sites.

Now, is it me or is this the perfect time for an adversary or even an ally to put forth effort in funding or backing of this disinformation. I am sure it has been done in the past with various situations. I have several "friends" on social media who continue to share share share this stuff without even really taking the time to do any analytical thought or research on where this information is coming from.

It's happening; the Russians and Ukranians are colluding with the POTUS to convince the American people that he should remain president.
Old 22 December 2019, 11:42
BTDT

The only people that are going to fuck our country up, is us. But thank god PATRIOT got renewed, huh?

"Team Apocalypse"

COVID-19 Deaths: 2,229
2018 Handgun Murders: 6,603
Annual Stair Fall Deaths: 12,000

Economy Wasn't Destroyed For:
2009 "Swine Flu" Deaths: 12,000
2017/2018 Influenza Deaths: 61,000

"From 12 April 2009 to 10 April 2010, we estimate that approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3–89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086–402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8,868–18,306) occurred in the United States due to H1N1".

Old 22 December 2019, 12:46
Sardonic Interloper

Half the propagandists out there are just attention whores desperate to see their name in print. Everybody wants to be a blogger regardless of subject matter. We live in the age of mom's basement journalism

"Get used to nothing but C section scars on flabby skin ......." EchoFiveMike
Old 22 December 2019, 13:49
Involuntary Yoga Guy

And lets not forget that Adobe has software in beta that can mimic a persons voice, and are close to beta on software that can make video of your face and voice.

We are now in a age where technology can completely make a person into another person with pics, video and audio. An entirely new level of identity and reputation manipulation is here.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 22 December 2019, 14:23
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I don't do social media other than here, so it's all fairly foreign to me, but it does make a lot of sense as a way to sway opinion. Times, they are a'changing.
I don't consider SOCNET "social media"; we're just a bunch of old men sitting around BSing...
Old 22 December 2019, 14:28
Shakin' the bush Boss

How do you explain DD0311? I'm fairly sure he's computer generated.
Old 22 December 2019, 14:32
Confirmed User

I wish USIA still existed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post

Old 22 December 2019, 14:36
Long in tooth and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I don't consider SOCNET "social media"; we're just a bunch of old men sitting around BSing...
That’s what I keep telling my wife

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.” -Francis Bacon
Old 22 December 2019, 14:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
How do you explain DD0311? I'm fairly sure he's computer generated.
I don't try to explain black holes, I just accept that they exist.
Old 22 December 2019, 15:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Old? Speak for yourself....

Old 22 December 2019, 20:25
Confirmed User

If I were a betting person I’d say 25% or more of the twitter accounts are trolls/bots/socpuppets.
Old 26 December 2019, 07:41

On FB, when someone posts a positive thread about Trump, they come out of the woodwork. People with profiles from the ME, and Africa talking shit.
Old 29 December 2019, 00:37

What we are seeing today is only the beginning. All news and social media has been weaponized.

There is nothing stopping anyone from tweeting something that is not true, and having it "go viral" and get thousands of views.

And there is no more news that isn't tainted. Every single news source has its own political agenda. There is literally not one that doesn't. I personally don't think the "news" aspect of this is new... I remember newspapers in my home town having political leanings in the 1980s, but today things have been elevated to an art form.

The difference now is, everything gets fed directly into peoples' brains via the 24/7 news cycle, and if you don't look at twitter yourself, you will get force-fed its sewage via any news outlet. There is no more "truth", there is only what people want you to see and believe.

There are no good guys here.
Old 29 December 2019, 13:02
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Seems like the "court of public opinion" is the only court that matters today.

When formerly "trusted news sources" are caught embellishing, failing to report, and blatantly making shit up... it's time to do something about them. They do all have FCC licenses, or most do.

I wouldn't consider removing a source of bullshit and propaganda a violation of anyone's rights. I would actually find it quite refreshing.

They turned the "news" into a ratings and shock war.

Most of us (with fucking brains) don't watch "news" for drama, shock, or to be led by the nose when it comes to our thinking. We just want to know what is going on. They don't do that anymore. It's not about what's going on, it's about what YOU should THINK about what's going on.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 29 December 2019, 14:28
Been There Done That

News has been spun since news reporting began.

The printing press made it easier to disseminate spin. Modern tech more so.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 29 December 2019, 15:05
Mindset is Everything

As with anything else, there is no "personal accountability" with anything -- including the MSM. Until there is, nothing will change. News is an entertainment industry now...they make too much money to change it.

Our new posting rules