SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 27 June 2018, 05:57
Confirmed User

Kuwaiti Visa

Does anyone know how long it takes to cancel residency in Kuwait? I have a feeling my company is dragging its feet. I left work on the 8th and am still waiting for a plane ticket out of here.
Old 27 June 2018, 06:11
Authorized Personnel

What's stopping you from going to the airport and hopping on a plane? Just them paying for the ticket?
Old 27 June 2018, 06:40
Confirmed User

Exactly, I went and "canceled" my Visa yesterday. Ironically, the sponsor insisted on continuing to hold my passport. This has been a great learning experience. I should have heeded the Glassdoor reviews for this contract.
Old 27 June 2018, 07:02
Authorized Personnel

Yeah...you on KBOSSS? I worked out there in Kuwait for a short stint and fell into the same trap. Definitely a learning experience for me. I would go and tell them to return your passport to you immediately. If that doesn't work, just go to the Embassy and explain the situation. I never got any final confirmation, but the word on the ground last time I was there (2011) was that they had gotten their hand slapped for confiscating passports.
Old 27 June 2018, 07:04
Confirmed User

Check PMs. I don't wish to ire the Cabal in public.
Old 27 June 2018, 10:39
Authorized Personnel

You do understand that your employer "holding" you passport is illegal right??? That is a federal document that is owned by the United States. You should NEVER EVER let that document leave your possession. In the future if they need it for something, insist on staying with it.
Old 27 June 2018, 11:24
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkBoneSkivies View Post
You do understand that your employer "holding" you passport is illegal right??? That is a federal document that is owned by the United States. You should NEVER EVER let that document leave your possession. In the future if they need it for something, insist on staying with it.
As bad as CSA was when they had this contract 10 years ago (before it was called KBOSSS and held by TC) we never had our passports held. Every other foreign worker I met there yes, but not us. We did have to turn it in to the company to get our Kuwaiti ID card, but it was returned along with the card inside a week or so.

Go to the Embassy, report your passport stolen, get a new one and GTFO.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 27 June 2018, 11:29
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
Go to the Embassy, report your passport stolen....
By the company you're working for.
Old 27 June 2018, 13:18
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
By the company you're working for.
Probably by the Kuwaiti "sponsor/partner" that the company is required to have to do business in the country. Of course the company bears responsibility for going along with this but the passport is quite likely not in their hands.

Without a passport I'm wondering how people on this gig manage to go on leave during the contract. Standard thing BITD was to take 2 weeks at around the halfway point and then cash in the last 2 weeks at the EOC, or just head out 2 weeks early. Most people the former.

We had it good as Americans, one former Bulgarian .mil guy who was working there, his father was dying and he wanted to go home to see him, they wouldn't give him his passport back until his contract was over. People who've never been there or aren't well informed don't realize the soft core slavery practiced in the Gulf states. 70% of the population of Kuwait is foreign workers, many of whom are regularly beaten, starved, not paid, and otherwise abused by the people whose country the American government gave back to them after Gulf War I.

"Thank you Hajji Bush".

Old 27 June 2018, 23:16
Confirmed User

Passports have to be turned into the sponsor for residency cancellation. Which apparently takes forever.
Old 29 June 2018, 12:15
Very Deplorable

Likewise, when I was on KBOSSS (2011-2012)we never had our passports held. Once residency was granted the passport was returned promptly. Never any issues with getting it back.

We even had some folks that didn’t even get residency, but who would just do visa fly outs every 90 days. Easy peasy.

I agree with the rest saying you should get over to the embassy today and file some paperwork.
Old 29 June 2018, 13:16
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrrhic0369 View Post
Passports have to be turned into the sponsor for residency cancellation. Which apparently takes forever.
I had a squared away company managing my sponsorship, and I was working directly with their reps, not some company person who coordinated it all. Only took 5-6 working days after I handed them my passport and Civil ID back in Dec of 2011 to cancel my Visa 18 before leaving the country.
Old 30 June 2018, 01:18
Confirmed User

I've been waiting to get out of here for three weeks. I have a lot of opinions about the operation out here.
Old 26 July 2018, 14:53

Holding on to your passport is a warning sign for human trafficking. I would file a report. At the very least threaten to file a report.
Old 26 July 2018, 23:04
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

You know how they say "follow the money"? I would not be surprised if someone somewhere is getting paid for every day you are BOG, working or not. Hence they DGAF how much you want to leave. The Kuwaiti's practice soft core slavery anyway, if you've been there a while and been paying attention you should have run across some info on how they abuse foreign workers from the PI, India, etc..

A lot of people aren't aware that the Kuwaiti's don't just let us hang out at Camp Arifjan for free, regardless of the fact that we gave them their country back. That land is Kuwaiti owned, and we pay RENT.

Old 29 July 2018, 08:15

Holding visas is illegal, simply tell them that you will go to the COR and file a complaint, additionally, contact your HR department and file a complaint as well.

Our new posting rules