SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 30 July 2019, 18:43
Ghey floor sweeper

Another Life (Netflix)

BLUF: Avoid unless you like millennials

After an alien artifact lands on earth and builds a crystalline structure on itself, the Space Command backtracks its signal to a planet orbiting some star. Katie Sackhoff (Starbuck on SciFi's Battlestar Galactica and "Niko" in this show) is placed in command of the mission to pop on over to the alien world and say "hi." She is given command of an FTL ship and is placed in stasis sleep with the crew. An AI named William pretty much runs the ship.

William wakes Niko from her nap a month into the trip when he discovers that the planet isn't where Space Command thought it would be. Apparently, they set course for what turned out to be a reflection of the planet, which is really 7 more months away on the far side of a dark matter field. She wakes up the primary crew (there are backups for every position on the ship), and they turn out to be early 20-somethings. The former ship's commander is one of them. He and the chief engineer figure out of a way to slingshot around a star and launch them on a new course to get to the planet faster. William gives it a 89% chance of success, but Niko says it's too risky. Former commander gets pouty and starts a mutiny, supported by all of the millennial-age shitheads on board. Shit goes pear-shaped real fast after the slingshot attempt fails and things start breaking on the ship. Niko regains command after the kiddies realize that maybe her experience is useful. Former commander isn't happy about it, and Niko kills him in self defense when he decides to shank her in the engine room while making repairs. That's the best part of the show, btw. The millennials are horrified that she killed him and start wondering if she'll off them next. William assures her that military law is on her side. Duh. Mutiny is a hanging offense.

Niko is the only one of the crew who has an ounce of brains. It's like the cast of High School Musical got dropped into the Lost in Space universe and is running the Jupiter Two with predictable results. Oh, the ship's doctor is a transgender whatever who gets it on with the fat guy. For real. The actor is a transgender from Australia. The show is pretty much what you'd expect if any government agency allowed millennials to run a first contact mission. The premise of the plot had potential, but the characters really get in the way of the story. And Sackhoff looks like shit. She isn't aging well.
Old 30 July 2019, 21:35
Confirmed User

Thank you for saving me from watching this. I saw the preview and was going to give it a watch. I liked her in Battlestar and Longmire so thought this might be worth it.

I don't want to deal with the rest of that shit though.

Any chance it could be cautionary tale about Millenials?
Old 31 July 2019, 10:12
Ghey floor sweeper

^^The thought did cross my mind.

The other thing about the series is that Sackhiff’s character does most of the heavy lifting and most of the other characters seem to exist simply to provide contrived drama and stupid actions for Niko to unfuck.

There’s also the secondary plot line about what is happening on Earth while Kids in Space have their adventure. But it’s fairly predictable—transmissions from the crystal are leaked on social media by a conniving social media celebrity, and some nerd figures out the code. Niko’s husband (scientist leading the research team) enters the crystal and has an experience with the aliens, but is rejected by them. Social media diva is dragged into the crystal after (male) SecDef orders a forced entry. And Niko’s kid gets leukemia from the alien “sonic blast” used to repel the humans. Diva is returned as the alien’s emissary, is locked up, and is sprung by Niko’s husband after she promises the aliens can cure his daughter.
Old 31 July 2019, 11:18
Conformed User

I was very disappointed in this show.
Old 1 August 2019, 11:03
Doc McNasty

I fell asleep as the hubby was solving the communication gap with classical music. To expound on the useless crew comments already mentioned: what struck me was that this schleprock crew of Joe Snuffies was supposedly hand selected for this First Contact mission, VS how hard, long and competitively real astronauts train for just one chance to ride a rocket. Completely unrealistic and off center. Go trim your dogs' nails or something.
Old 1 August 2019, 16:31
giving you a number

Watched it hoping it would hit its stride at some point.

It didn't.

Don't waste your time, it's really not worth it.

Our new posting rules