SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 17 July 2020, 15:19
A lost ball in high weeds

Covid antibodies testing

I contacted the VA and was told they won't test for Covid-19 antibodies. I was bad sick in February and almost ended up in the ER. I couldn't breathe, coughed constantly, etc. I went to an emergency clinic and got a Zpak, shot in the hip, breathing treatment and inhaler.

I told the VA that if I didn't have Covid back in February, I'd probably die if I did get it because whatever I had about got me. All went on deaf ears. They probably figure if I die that would be one less asshole to deal with.

My question is has anyone here been tested for Covid antibodies? Where did you go to get the test done?
Old 17 July 2020, 18:25
Confirmed User

I was sick end of Jan with what I think was probably Corona. Tested negative for flu. Did antibody testing beginning of May at a Quest diagnostics lab. I tested negative which after doing some research I shouldn't have antibodies that long after it anyway.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 17 July 2020, 18:57
BTDT

Go and give blood... they have to test for covid-19 antibodies. (at least that's the word on the street)
Old 19 July 2020, 03:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryeric View Post
Go and give blood... they have to test for covid-19 antibodies. (at least that's the word on the street)
That is correct in my AO of N. Central Fl. I went to Lifesouth.

I too was sick AF same as described by the OP in early March, negative for COVID antibodies according to results I got yesterday.
Old 19 July 2020, 04:23
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
That is solid gouge right there. And a win win.

Thanks sir.
Old 19 July 2020, 12:28
Confirmed User

To echo others: Very, very sick in March. Finally got the antibody test in May, also negative. Went through my provider for the very quick/easy test.

Not sure if too much time had passed, or if the test is still unreliable, but I was very surprised it came back negative.
Old 19 July 2020, 15:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Red Cross is doing this and we gave blood through Blood Assurance, which did the same. My wife and I were both negative. I’ve had several friends go through clinics, but they had to pay for it.

“Leadership is pissing people off at a rate they can absorb.” - Shane Ray
Old 20 July 2020, 19:21

After some research I found that Medicare will cover the Covid test and the Covid antibodies test with out charge. Why the VA won't do this also is a mystery to me.

I found a local outpatient care facility that will do the test. I took the test today and will now have to wait for results. With all the attention on Covid, one would think that getting a test done would be a little easier that I found it to be.

If you have medicare as well as VA coverage, medicare will cover the test. Here is a link:

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/co...-antibody-test
Old 22 July 2020, 21:16

I am ordering SARS covid anti body on anyone who needs it. The VA can and will. For a variety of good reasons. Examples; travel(vivid free is a requirements and will be SOP for international flights) and work are the most common. Mental health works for me too.

Besides my ED is swamped.

Your provider can do this just give them a reason.

Admittedly I am biased but it doesn't cost me anything and you deserve it.
Old 23 July 2020, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodoc View Post
I am ordering SARS covid anti body on anyone who needs it. The VA can and will.
If true, the VA lied to me yet again. Here is their direct quote. I have it in writing:
"Mr. XXXX

We do not currently have the capability for antibody testing through the VA.
This is also not currently available through VA Community Care.

Thank you,

DXXX XXXXX
RN"

So not only will the VA not do the test, Mission Act participants won't do it either. This is all a mute point now. I got it done and am moving on.
Old 26 July 2020, 18:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp View Post
I contacted the VA and was told they won't test for Covid-19 antibodies. I was bad sick in February and almost ended up in the ER. I couldn't breathe, coughed constantly, etc. I went to an emergency clinic and got a Zpak, shot in the hip, breathing treatment and inhaler.

I told the VA that if I didn't have Covid back in February, I'd probably die if I did get it because whatever I had about got me. All went on deaf ears. They probably figure if I die that would be one less asshole to deal with.

My question is has anyone here been tested for Covid antibodies? Where did you go to get the test done?
I was at my usual fly-by-night clinic in Raleigh being treated by a PA getting my prescriptions refilled a month ago, and I was like "Hey bro- can I get an antibody test?" and he was like "sure!", and they took my blood and ai got my negative results 48 hours later.

So- there is no reason why anybody should be denied it. I mean they know me at this place and love me because I'm not an obese, disgusting lop of shit like most of their patients are, but it really isn't a big deal.

Our new posting rules