SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 27 July 2020, 10:49

Taxes while contracting

I've looked through posts and can't find much on this question. If its there, I apologize.

I have been given the green light with TC to head out on a WPS II PSS position and I'm just wondering what the take home pay will be after taxes. Anyone have any insight on that or an accountant I can get in touch with?

My recruiter mentioned that I would be paying the host country's taxes (my case 20%) and then when filing, I'd either pay the difference or get a credit for the difference. Does anyone with experience know if at the end of the year it will be higher than the country's 20% or lower when filing?
Old 27 July 2020, 11:32
Confirmed User

I've been using Luke Fairfield for 12 years and plan to keep using him. He got in a little trouble as you can search on this website.

staff@fstaxgroup.com

Can't really help you with the host country's taxes.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 27 July 2020, 11:36
In Vino Veritas

I知 not a tax pro but the IRS gives you an offset. So whatever you pay to country X is subtracted from your tax bill.
Old 27 July 2020, 12:51
Been There Done That

Another recommendation for Luke
Old 27 July 2020, 14:21

Thanks for your replies. I did see Luke Fairfield pop up in a bunch of threads and I'll look reach out. Thanks again!
Old 28 July 2020, 13:46

Luke Fairfield is in federal jail. His firm exists in name only anymore. I use his old partner Chris Hughes, who was not named or involved in the money laundering scheme. Here is contact info: Chris@hstaxcpas.com
Old 28 July 2020, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicFL View Post
Luke Fairfield is in federal jail. His firm exists in name only anymore. I use his old partner Chris Hughes, who was not named or involved in the money laundering scheme. Here is contact info: Chris@hstaxcpas.com
I am sorry he was actually released on 02/18/2020 from the federal prison system.
Old 28 July 2020, 16:00

I use Kadillac Enterprises out of Florida. I know many other people that use him as well.
Old 28 July 2020, 16:53
Confirmed User

I still use Luke and he's saved my ass a bunch of times.
Old 29 July 2020, 06:36
Authorized Personnel

Each person's situation is going to be different. If you are out of the states for 330 days out of the year, your tax situation is going to be different than someone who didn't meet the 330 days OCONUS. It will also depend on your spouse's income and if you have any income in the states, like a military pension.

I use Luke. He saved me a butt load in taxes this year.
Old 31 July 2020, 14:26
Been There Done That

I've only heard of Luke Fairfield from this board and the trouble he got into.

A large number of guys on my current contract use Tidewater out of Chesapeake, VA, their website is www.tabtax.com. They have saved me quite a bit of money the last few years.
Old 31 July 2020, 14:43
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20boatguy22 View Post
I've only heard of Luke Fairfield from this board and the trouble he got into.

A large number of guys on my current contract use Tidewater out of Chesapeake, VA, their website is www.tabtax.com. They have saved me quite a bit of money the last few years.
I used to use Tidewater. They were giving everyone the 330 exclusion and got caught. Lots of guys ended up paying back taxes. Granted, it was a BW witch hunt. I made six figures one year and paid about $2k in taxes. I知 certainly not bitching but that痴 a little off. I知 just happy I知 over the 7 yr limitation.
Old 31 July 2020, 22:25
Been There Done That

I'm the odd man out- I've used Burkhart Bookkeeping in Clarksville TN for the past 16 years.

She's never been in trouble and the 2 audits that came her way for contractors were found in the contractor's favor.

Plus, all the ladies there are smokin' red heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramber View Post
I've looked through posts and can't find much on this question. If its there, I apologize.

I have been given the green light with TC to head out on a WPS II PSS position and I'm just wondering what the take home pay will be after taxes. Anyone have any insight on that or an accountant I can get in touch with?

My recruiter mentioned that I would be paying the host country's taxes (my case 20%) and then when filing, I'd either pay the difference or get a credit for the difference. Does anyone with experience know if at the end of the year it will be higher than the country's 20% or lower when filing?
Old 1 August 2020, 01:31
Verified SOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I used to use Tidewater. They were giving everyone the 330 exclusion and got caught. Lots of guys ended up paying back taxes. Granted, it was a BW witch hunt. I made six figures one year and paid about $2k in taxes. I知 certainly not bitching but that痴 a little off. I知 just happy I知 over the 7 yr limitation.
After using all the shady characters in the book like Gary Ziegler, Georgia, and his "combat zone exclusion CPA letter", Lawrence Swan from Cape Coral, FL, and even the big firms like KPMG I now use Ruth at Tidewater, and I haven't had any problems. She's now done my returns for the last 5 years, plus one intermittent back in 2009.
Old 1 August 2020, 11:53
Confirmed User

I have recommended Brian Flieg out of Saint Louis to contractors before and gotten rave reviews. He is a tax lawyer/accountant so if you have problems he is the guy to see about fixing them. I use him for my personal in country taxes and he does an excellent job.
Old 1 August 2020, 14:50
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

I've known and used Luke for 8 years now. He saved me big the time I was in Iraq and my wife fell for the "all the people at work use these people and they always get big refund checks" thing. Yeah. Because they are out and out defrauding the Federal Government and putting your name on it. Apparently I donated to the Boys and Girls Club, among 50 other "deductions". Told them I didn't qualify for 330. They fucking put it down anyway. Of course IRS started asking for documentation I didn't have. I packed all that shit up and sent it to Luke. He fixed it.

I talk to him personally. I've been on his boat and eaten a great lunch with him, hope to do it again someday. You've all read his explanation of what happened, or you can if you choose to look, it's here. His explanation is better than the US Attorney's. They just wanted another scalp. He never benefited financially and they never alleged that he did. His explanation of setting up an account for a client he already had, and then nothing......Conspiracy? Really. Never benefited in any way and no allegation that he did or intended to. Sorry, I don't buy it, and better ten guilty go free than one be punished unjustly.

I think it would be a great idea if anyone who ever serves as a prosecutor is thereafter barred from running for any political office. Then we'd get people who actually want to be prosecutors, not people who want to build their name recognition/CV for a run at political office. It's a conflict of interest in a way, and there are a LOT of people in prison because of it. Get that conviction, one way or another, regardless. I read all the records, Luke was peripheral to the whole thing, there was only the opening of the one account they could point to, the rest was "We say you did this, now defend yourself against that accusation" he co-operated completely, (why not, he had done nothing wrong, or thought he had not) and they still gave him a choice between pleading to 1 count or taking the chance of getting slammed and not seeing his kids as a free man again until after they are out of college.

Now he's a convicted felon. That's not justice. And it's part of the rot that infects our Republic right now. Save prison for people that really need it, it's not like we don't have enough of them.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi

"We are giants put on this Earth to rid it of evil and to keep all that is good." - Jack Horne
Old 2 August 2020, 09:06
Confirmed User

I've used Luke or his firm for six years. No complaints and always had a quick response answering any questions I've had. For what it's worth, I pay the Afghan tax as well.
Asked why it was dishonorable to return without a shield and not without a helmet, the Spartan king, Demaratos (510 - 491) is said to have replied: "Because the latter they put on for their own protection, but the shield for the common good of all." (Plutarch, Mor.220
Old 6 August 2020, 18:07
Mod

While I don't use Luke, my former boss & I worked with him to understand the foreign tax process when we were transitioned to a new tax model. If my CPA retired, I would likely begin to use Luke.

He is very familiar with the Foreign Tax Credit which you can/need to take advantage of if you are paying taxes to a foreign gov't. It's essentially a dollar-for-dollar credit against income taxes owed to the US based on your income.

In a nutshell, you make $100k, pay $20k/20% to the host country, you then have a $20k credit towards whatever US taxes are owed.

Our new posting rules