Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 20 January 2012, 05:30
Been There Done That

If you're not aware, Canadian skier Sarah Burke just passed away. Don't mean to put a damper on this thread, but she was an amazing person and by far one of the world's best freestyle skiers. My thoughts go out to Rory Bushfield and their families.

Rest in Peace, Sarah. You were the reason for the 2014 Winter Olympics allowing us all to be able to see the Freestyle discipline there when the time comes...

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 20 January 2012, 07:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I've been trying to find skis on Craigslist for several months, but haven't pulled the trigger.

I can't decide if the new shaped skis are noticeably more maneuverable or not.
Unless you are going to ski a lot, just rent. It saves you the hassle of flying with the stuff. Another option is to buy a pair of boots so you know you have a good fit and then just rent the demo skis. This is all dependent on how much you think you are going to ski.

Shaped skis are much better then old straight skis! It would benefit you to take a lesson to learn how to use them to their advantage.

Winston Churchill
Old 20 January 2012, 07:38
CombatWombat
Visitor

Quote:
I can't decide if the new shaped skis are noticeably more maneuverable or not.
Yes. Buy them. A good shaped ski will outcarve and outrun a straight one. I can outrun a guy on straight 210s with a set of 170 carvers once you learn to carve them right. You have to tip the newer ski on its edge more than just muscling it into shape like an old ski. If you can already carve on a straighter ski then one lesson and some practice will probably all you need to get them moving.

Boots continue to be the most important part of the equation, though. Even if you lease or demo skis, having a good set of very well fitted boots are the biggest thing you can do equipment wise to both make you better and improve the experience. Between the custom heat moldable liners and a good boot fitter, you can get today's boots to a near perfect fit. Pricey, but very worth it.

If you stake out steepandcheap dot com you can sometimes score a killer deal if you know what you're looking for.
Old 20 January 2012, 14:33
Violent Social Worker

My girlfriend hung out Sarah Burke once and said she was really cool and very nice. Too bad.

I did rent the shaped skis, they were great but it's been so long I can't really tell the difference. I think I whipped around in quick circle once because they were so maneuverable.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 20 January 2012, 14:54
Been That, **** *****

Was knocking out 20 to 30 + days boarding with the kid at Tahoe, and in Colorado, for many consecutive seasons since the mid-90's but have been unable to go for the last several years.

Hoping to knock off the dust and rust in the near future......
Old 21 January 2012, 10:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
My girlfriend hung out Sarah Burke once and said she was really cool and very nice. Too bad.

I did rent the shaped skis, they were great but it's been so long I can't really tell the difference. I think I whipped around in quick circle once because they were so maneuverable.
There's seriously not a person I've come across in the famous ski/snow board realm that isn't down to earth. It's the polar opposite of other athletes who have giant fucking egos.

As for your "shaped" skis, you better start getting your lingo down before you come swing by my place or I'll stick you on the bunny hill with the 5 year olds...

Ski tech has advanced IMMENSELY in the last 10 years alone. Much more so than anything else I've seen, including bikes.

If you need gear, let me know. A good friend of mine owns a major guiding business in NM and gets everything for 40-70% off. Since all three of us are about the same size I'll hook you up if you need any gear from clothing to bindings, skis, boots, poles, googles, helmets, beacon....you name it, brother.

Old 21 January 2012, 13:28
Violent Social Worker

Oh, you're on!
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 27 January 2012, 21:06
Been There Done That

Arrived in Jackson Hole last night. Amazing runs today. Good time to bring some pow-boards.

I was riding my Salomon Rocker 2's all day and it's just been sweet. Bluebird.

Two more full days of riding out here before I have to head home...and shred Rogers Pass!

Old 28 January 2012, 01:15
Violent Social Worker

Lucky bastard. I've got two trips planned but our schedules are tight. My girl just gave me and my buddy new goggles and another friend gave me some skis she confiscated back from an ex-boyfriend. I'm in all gypsy kit.

Old 28 January 2012, 10:32
Been There Done That

I skied before I went into the army. I thought it was fun, until in '76 the whole 2d Ranger BN went to "BCT"(basic cold weather Tng) up at Ft Greely. The "experts" showed us how to hurt ourselves with the bear trap bindings and wooden skis. We went up the next year for JACKFROST, guarding the Pipeline. What a joke, if we had ever got caught in an ambush it would of been real bad..

If any of you from the the BN knew Faggatta, it was something to see him man handle the akio up and down hills.

MASS, where are u sking? Before I retired we went up to North Conway every year with the kids. There is this great mountain, Black, it's a family owned place. Great place to bring new skiers too.
Old 28 January 2012, 11:29
Violent Social Worker

We went to Sunapee. It was okay, but a little too small.

Old 29 January 2012, 00:32
Been There Done That

I was in the zone today at my local area. Like everyone else we've been hurting for snow, but there was 10 or so inches of fresh on the ground and more runs were opened up. I got banged up on a couple rocks, but otherwise it was fantastic.

My son is in a kid's club there, so every Saturday we head up together and even though he's with his group most of the day, we get in some warm up runs before and close out runs afterwards. There's pretty much nothing I'd rather be doing than skiing with my kids.
"I have often thought how much happier I should have been if instead of accepting the command, under such circumstances, I had taken my musket on my shoulder, and entered the ranks ; or, had retired to the backcountry and lived in a wigwam." George Washington

Ssgt. Jacob Frazier - RIP 29MAR03 Geresk
Old 29 January 2012, 12:34
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
If you're not aware, Canadian skier Sarah Burke just passed away.
It was sad indeed. Loved what a down-to-earth personality Sarah was. Her skill and her character were truly inspiring.
Old 29 January 2012, 13:04
Newbie shooter

I'm in Vail, co right now. Lots of pow in the trees still. Did vail and beaver creek yesterday.

Just got 11 inches before I got here, supposed to snow tomorrow. Hoping for one crazy pow day full of face shots

Mass we gotta roll when I get back.

- local
Old 29 January 2012, 13:18
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
I'm in Vail, co right now. Lots of pow in the trees still. Did vail and beaver creek yesterday.

Just got 11 inches before I got here, supposed to snow tomorrow. Hoping for one crazy pow day full of face shots

Mass we gotta roll when I get back.

- local
Ahhh, you're making me jealous, LOL. I learned to ski while attending intel school at Lowry AFB in Denver many moons ago. The memory of those sunny, blue skies in the winter still gives me goosebumps. One of my classmates took all of us who wanted to ski to his parents' house, which happened to be at the bottom of Breckinridge, for a weekend and his family taught those of us who were doing it for the first time to ski. My memories of skiing there are indelible. Among the experiences in the military that Bill Gates could never pay for.

I've never been a fan of places like Vail....I always like to go to the less fancy, backwoods places.
Old 29 January 2012, 13:33
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post

Also, if you're out and about....post some pics. This thread can use it!
You are not leading by example here
Old 30 January 2012, 00:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
You're absolutely right but I would be failing if I did. I promise to post some pow-shots in the next few days.

I have to say this...thank you Jackson. You came through hard. Good times, good dumps the first night. Wish we could've hit Corbet's Couloir but you were a little hard and icy for us. We'll be back in April to get some of your goodness.

Seriously...if you haven't hit JH hard you've missed out. I hit it for a quick afternoon run in April '07 and thought I got a feel...fuck no.

Nothing prepares you for the e-p-i-c runs you'll find on a patrolled terrain resort. Patrollers - you fucking rock and your attitude is dope. Skiiers and boarders - throwing down and leading the charge.

I was nothing short of impressed, maybe even slightly in love with this place.

The terrain, vibe, people...made me wanna spend a lot longer than this last four days here. Anyone looking for a PT roomie who'll take care of your pad?

Old 6 February 2012, 14:28
Newbie shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
I got you.

Vail 2012 first edit

The editing isn't quite done.

Vail got 11 inches right before i got there, but then only got an inch or two while I was there. Still the riding was amazing, the back country still had a lot of pow - even on my last day.

The Culture and Vibe was pretty cool too.

- Local
Old 6 February 2012, 23:59
Violent Social Worker

That looked like a hell of a lot of fun. Man, fuck skiing in New England. The music made me want to fire a pistol right next to my ears a few times though. One night a van's going to pull up, several of my friends are going to throw you inside and make you listen to nothing but Led Zeppelin for 24 hours.

Old 7 February 2012, 10:22
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
The music made me want to fire a pistol right next to my ears a few times though.
+1

Cool video, Local, looks like you had a great time!

Our new posting rules