Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 21 February 2014, 19:17
Violent Social Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked View Post
Yeah, you called it - even for the East. Hell, next week it's supposed to dip into the teens here in the mid-Atlantic, so looks like we're going to possibly have an extended season.

Mass, you ever hear anything about the mogul clinic at Killington?
(Talk about a long season, there's a damn mogul camp at Whistler ....in JULY!)
Can't say that I have. I skied there about a month ago. I'm not much of a mogul guy, I don't go often enough to handle them well.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 21 February 2014, 19:26
I am into Champagne

3 lives ago- competitive downhill and super-G racer.

In teen-aged years, selected for Olympic training/alternate- but for alternate selection to take place, 95% of selected team would have had to perish in paranormal mass Jagermeister/Bobsled accident.

Greatest downhill training video- ever-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEHZJNQ5Y4A

Regards,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.
Old 21 February 2014, 20:00
Another pool cleaner

Finally got some brand new skis: Salomon XT800. Did some double blacks with my 13 yo at Sunday River. A blast!

My old skis were rental straights bought from a used sports store about 15-16 years ago.
Old 22 February 2014, 20:41
Violent Social Worker

I want to do Sunday River, haven't been there since I was a kid. I will go to Jay this year though.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 25 August 2014, 17:58
Been There Done That

Its' that time of the year again. We're less than a hundred days out from a bunch of phenomenal places opening up. After an amazing, and I mean unfuckingreal season last year, riding the best runs of my life, I am going to chase the powder again.

This season, the tour-de-pow is going to take me to the coastal mountains of the PNW, into BC, and very likely rounding out my season in Jackson again. I simply can't get enough of that place.

With that said, here's a little TGR stoke to bring things back on track.

"Almost Ablaze"

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 25 August 2014, 19:25
Been There Done That

Warren Miller's No Turning Back

Old 25 August 2014, 20:08
Confirmed User

Where are you hitting on the westside?
Old 25 August 2014, 22:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post

This season, the tour-de-pow is going to take me to the coastal mountains of the PNW, into BC, and very likely rounding out my season in Jackson again. I simply can't get enough of that place.
Whistler. If you haven't already, it's an absolute must.
Old 25 August 2014, 22:42
Been There Done That

Thinking about spending the majority of my time in the northern Cascades. Baker's been on my radar for a long time now and I think it could be a fun place to get to know well.

Then from there, I'm sure I'll be in Skagit Valley touring. Whistler? Maybe - I just have no desire to be at overcrowded, overpriced places. Would rather go touring in the Pemberton backcountry.

I'm sure that I'll dip back out to the Tetons this winter. That place is just entirely too magical for me to pass out. Now the real challenge is just to figure out how to get Sharky out there. Supposedly watching him on skis is just magical

Old 25 August 2014, 23:36
Confirmed User

Stevens Pass? If you backcountry, have you skied the Wallowas?
Old 26 August 2014, 04:51
Confirmed User

Have you thought about AK? I can't remember if you told me if you have been up there yet or not. I have a good friend you does a lot of backcountry in the Baker area on sleds if you are interested. He doesn't go inbounds anymore. I was at Baker a couple of years ago during a weekend and the place gets crowds now.

Winston Churchill
Old 26 August 2014, 07:43
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Stevens Pass? If you backcountry, have you skied the Wallowas?
Haven't been to Stevens Pass and never heard of the Wallowas until now. Must be your stomping grounds, I guess? If so, I'm never opposed to checking out something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Have you thought about AK? I can't remember if you told me if you have been up there yet or not. I have a good friend you does a lot of backcountry in the Baker area on sleds if you are interested. He doesn't go inbounds anymore. I was at Baker a couple of years ago during a weekend and the place gets crowds now.
I have been thinking about AK for a while now, even briefly considered moving up there. I don't see myself away from the lower 48 for a little while. At some point it's going to be a consideration though. Right now, I'm still leaning towards the MT/ID/WY area as a long term solution. Or up to BC, again, but that doesn't entirely depend on me.

Once I figure out the exact plans, I'll shoot you a PM. Would be great to meet up with your buddy up there.

Old 26 August 2014, 09:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
I have been thinking about AK for a while now, even briefly considered moving up there. I don't see myself away from the lower 48 for a little while. At some point it's going to be a consideration though. Right now, I'm still leaning towards the MT/ID/WY area as a long term solution. Or up to BC, again, but that doesn't entirely depend on me. .
You at least once have to go up there to do some heliskiing!! Cheapest way to do that is go up there and ask if they have any open seats, if they don't, go hit Alyeska or hit the backcountry.

Winston Churchill
Old 26 August 2014, 19:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Haven't been to Stevens Pass and never heard of the Wallowas until now. Must be your stomping grounds, I guess? If so, I'm never opposed to checking out something new.

The Wallowas are a pretty awesome backcountry area, but known for their wind. There was a segment in Elevation (Powder Whore movie) that showed some of it. There are several yurts and at least one first come first serve tent.

I invested in a Ti Goat tipi with wood stove for this season and should have my pulk finished before long. I'm kind of a more do it yourself ski tour type. I found I ski way more when I can just head out the back door!
Old 6 September 2014, 21:06
Been There Done That

Jong, I'm definitely cruising up there one of these days.

Wowzers, I'm going to get a hold of Elevation to see that. I'm definitely leaning more towards touring as well, but last season was just too good. I actually got spoiled. This winter better be epic!

In the meanwhile, I found this gem. Have been reading about the mountain for a long time now and never checked it out. That's going to change.

All Time: Mount Baker (The ecstasy of being on the right side of a rare Mount Baker road closure.)

Old 7 September 2014, 00:13
Confirmed User

Mt. Baker has been a legend in the snowboarding community for a long, long time. Record amounts of snowfall and killer terrain.

Cat skiing near crater lake oregon is supposed to be pretty good also.

If Sun Valley Idaho got decent snow it's fast and steep, but it doesn't get the snow that Utah or the Grand Tetons get. Mostly man made.
Old 16 September 2014, 20:37
REMF

There is NOTHING like Whistler. Jackson is the shit too. Just not as big.
Old 16 September 2014, 20:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeArmyNCO View Post
There is NOTHING like Whistler. Jackson is the shit too. Just not as big.
*Cough, bullshit, cough.*

Ever been to Kicking Horse? Revelstoke? Rogers Pass?

There are many places that eclipse Whistler Blackcomb. The best part about them is that they're less accessible and infinitely less crowded. But the terrain, snow quality and ambience is unmatched.

If you said there's nothing like Whistler's bike park in the summer, I'd agree. There really isn't.

Other than that, see the above.

Old 16 September 2014, 20:43
REMF

Not saying it's the best, there is just nothing like it. 8000+ acres ect....
If it came down to just the best powder experience, Grand Targhee, WY is my favorite.
Old 16 September 2014, 20:51
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeArmyNCO View Post
Not saying it's the best, there is just nothing like it. 8000+ acres ect....
If it came down to just the best powder experience, Grand Targhee, WY is my favorite.
Spent some time skiing the Ghee last season. Nice mountain with some fun terrain but the fog is killer.

I had the best inbounds day of my life last season in Jackson. 19" overnight of fresh. Just did laps on the AV chair with one of the original JHAF dudes until the upper half of the mountain opened up.

After that it was non-stop fresh tracks, partly waist deep, from Sublette down for about two hours straight. I've never left a resort at lunchtime, much less any more stoked, in my life. My legs were done.

Our new posting rules