SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

View Poll Results: What % of Friends/Family are Fully Prepared for Global Disaster (3-18 Month Survival)
Less than 1% 83 44.86%
1-10% 64 34.59%
10-20% 19 10.27%
20-30% 10 5.41%
Greater than 30% 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 February 2018, 18:04

I've seen SYM at the store. I'm not really into uber hot and spicy stuff. I like my heat to accentuate the meat, not become a test of manhood. I like the BWW medium wing sauce for reference.

God I'm so hungry now.......
Old 21 February 2018, 19:03
Confronting the Reckoning

I've finished scanning all of our family photographs and backing them up electronically. If we have to evacuate in the face of a fire, that part of our normal life won't be lost. Next up is to finalize the photographs of household possessions, and then full bore on the family bugout bags. After evacuation planning is finished, then full bore on shelter in place.
Old 21 February 2018, 22:46
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
It wasn't Post or anything, but I really don't recall after nearly 8 years.

Put stuff up, open it years later, and see if you win...

ETA: Wasn't intending to come across as being flip, but I think it sounded like it. Look for cereals and related things that have little to no fats / oils in them, as it WILL eventually go rancid. Ground coffee is an example, along with just about any kind of nuts. That's why I was worried about the macadamias. Green coffee, though, will store pretty well; you'll just have to grind and roast it somewhere on down the road.
I started eating steel cut oats and wanted to start putting them up as well. Turns out they don't store like rolled oats, for the very reason you state. Some have said they put it in Mylar, vac seal it with O2 packets, but it could still be sketchy. I have since bought some big bins of rolled oats and am rotating about 10 cans of steel cut.
Old 21 February 2018, 22:52
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I'm adding two new garden plots this year that I don't currently need, but I'm going to go ahead and get them prepped and just use them for wildlife foodplots until I would need them for consumable food production. My current plot is adequate for current needs.

ETA - Next payday I'm going to start putting back a 5 gal bucket of HD Vision Special Ops sunglasses. I just can't see surviving without them.
We are expanding the garden x 3 this next year and bought a greenhouse with the hopes of being able to have fresh veggies of some sort all year long. Canning also helps with things like beans, corn, carrots, etc.
Old 21 February 2018, 22:57
Shakin' the bush Boss

We can every year. Veggies and meats also. I also have a small 8x20 greenhouse, but we only use it spring and fall, not trying to do winter stuff yet, but could if necessary. I've tried to model off a homestead, not a FOB. I'm set up to be fully self sustaining if necessary.
Old 21 February 2018, 23:09
Administrator

Quote:
We can every year. Veggies and meats also. I also have a small 8x20 greenhouse, but we only use it spring and fall, not trying to do winter stuff yet, but could if necessary. I've tried to model off a homestead, not a FOB. I'm set up to be fully self sustaining if necessary.
Good cause if shit hits the fan Im coming south on 81. Hide the liquor.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 22 February 2018, 05:04
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Hope you're southwest of the Occoquan....

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 22 February 2018, 11:24
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
It wasn't Post or anything, but I really don't recall after nearly 8 years.

Put stuff up, open it years later, and see if you win...

ETA: Wasn't intending to come across as being flip, but I think it sounded like it. Look for cereals and related things that have little to no fats / oils in them, as it WILL eventually go rancid. Ground coffee is an example, along with just about any kind of nuts. That's why I was worried about the macadamias. Green coffee, though, will store pretty well; you'll just have to grind and roast it somewhere on down the road.
I took no issues with the statement. It was short and to the point.

I did not know that about ground coffee. Guess I better ditch the multiple cans of Folgers I've had since 2015. I have been using used grounds in my pepper plants. I wonder if the unused grounds will be a problem.
Old 22 February 2018, 11:29
Old Scroll

Don't ditch anything without having made sure it's "OFF" first... it might still be GTG, and hell, coffee's expensive

Also, freeze-dried coffee *shudder* keeps well for a very long time. I've got about two gallons of the crap back on a high shelf down in the root cellar.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 22 February 2018, 17:29

I'll drink my own piss before I drink freeze-dried coffee. At least it wouldn't be as bitter.

I wonder, if a greenhouse was available (I'm thinking of building one), coffee plants could be grown and what the space/yield ratio is. Talk about a fucking gold mine if things ever go south.
Old 22 February 2018, 19:20
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
Im coming south on 81.
Come on, I've got everything but manpower.
Old 22 February 2018, 19:31
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Quote:
Come on, I've got everything but manpower.
Oh HELL no. Tell him he's gotta bring food. Lots of food. And guns, and ammo. And a shovel for working with. And bandaids for the blisters he'll be getting, too.

Then he's GTG for entry onto the compound

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 22 February 2018, 21:14
Shakin' the bush Boss

I'm just placating him, nobody is getting out of NOVA alive.
Old 23 February 2018, 11:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
I'll drink my own piss before I drink freeze-dried coffee. At least it wouldn't be as bitter.

I wonder, if a greenhouse was available (I'm thinking of building one), coffee plants could be grown and what the space/yield ratio is. Talk about a fucking gold mine if things ever go south.
Coffee is tough unless you live in a year round warm environment and have the right soil....

There's no coincidence that the 'coffee belt' lies between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn...
Old 25 February 2018, 17:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
We are expanding the garden x 3 this next year and bought a greenhouse with the hopes of being able to have fresh veggies of some sort all year long. Canning also helps with things like beans, corn, carrots, etc.
I think in another post you mentioned aquaponics. Are you doing anything with fish? I'm hoping to start with a 55 barrel or two of catfish and potentially get a larger tank later.
Old 28 February 2018, 10:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
I think in another post you mentioned aquaponics. Are you doing anything with fish? I'm hoping to start with a 55 barrel or two of catfish and potentially get a larger tank later.
Preppers around the area here buy those 275 gallon industrial containers with the reinforced aluminum 'cage' around them to raise tilapia and other fish in for the aquaponics thing. They sell for $75-$100. Make sure if you buy one is has been completely purged, a lot of the ones around here are from glycophosphate (Round Up) used by farmers...
Old 28 February 2018, 10:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Preppers around the area here buy those 275 gallon industrial containers with the reinforced aluminum 'cage' around them to raise tilapia and other fish in for the aquaponics thing. They sell for $75-$100. Make sure if you buy one is has been completely purged, a lot of the ones around here are from glycophosphate (Round Up) used by farmers...
I got a line on some from the dairy industry. They held either some sort of soap or Chlorinated acid for cleaning the milk lines out. Not sure about either especially for raising food in. I may just end up getting a stock tank. I'm wanting to put it inside a greenhouse I'm building for a heat sink and to use cycle the water around as a nutrient boost.
Old 8 March 2018, 00:12
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
I got a line on some from the dairy industry. They held either some sort of soap or Chlorinated acid for cleaning the milk lines out. Not sure about either especially for raising food in. I may just end up getting a stock tank. I'm wanting to put it inside a greenhouse I'm building for a heat sink and to use cycle the water around as a nutrient boost.
The ones used for soap should be OK after a thorough clean.

The ones used for Roundup get cut in half and used for planters. The Glypho works in your favour then, just don't plant straight away. The alloy frames become feeders for stock.

A stock tank locally would run to about 3X what people want for a used chemical drum. However it will most likely last a lot longer and be free of residue that will effect what ever it is you are raising.

Best of luck.
Old 9 March 2018, 13:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
I'm just placating him, nobody is getting out of NOVA alive.
I wouldn't bet on that; Sharky will have like a Plt of Batt Boys in tow from up here. That and a couple of Snake Eaters sneaking around.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 19 March 2018, 10:49
Old Scroll

So I'm back at doing the canning routine. I found a nice, plump 24 pound bone-in ham for $19 bucks at the market last week. That one I just couldn't pass up. So I circled back past the cereal and bread, and snagged it at the butcher's section.

I used regular mouth one quart "Golden Harvest" mason jars, 12 per case, that I got at the dollar store for eight bucks a case. Much, much cheaper than the Ball brand mason jars at the grocery store.

Cut the ham into massive slices, which then got cubed and put into the quarts. My Presto pressure canner will hold seven quarts at a time. This time I decided to do a dry pack, meaning no added water or broth, as I figured the ham and any fat would render lots of liquid anyway. The first load (90 minutes at 15 pounds ~ I'm at 2,500' elevation) came out beautifully, but for one unexpected thing... I had stuffed the jars full, omitting the normal 1" of headspace you'd normally provide for, as I knew the meat would diminish some during canning. Holy Hell, was I surprised to see seven nicely finished jars, all pinging musically as they sealed themselves up, but all were now only half-full. The ham had uniformly shrunk to but a shade of it's former self.

Next load I stuffed the jars to the max. Really pushed those ham cubes in there, and the result was better, but still only 3/4 full.

I've done several cases of chicken breasts (2 per wide-mouth quart and they barely fit ~ no shrinkage) and same thing with pork tenderloin (7 or 8 roughly 1" slices stacked up in a wide-mouth quart, leaving very little headspace ~ little to no shrinkage)

Well, I've got a big damn ham reduced to 11 quart jars that'll keep in the root cellar for the next long time until I need it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180314_171033.jpg (56.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 20180314_214113.jpg (57.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 20180315_182823.jpg (65.3 KB, 64 views)

Melville / Captain Ahab

Our new posting rules