SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Company Vetting and RFI

Old 7 March 2018, 02:38

RFI: ESI

I've been contemplating attending a course here, but just wanted some feedback from you guys with possible experience with them. I spent a few years doing the WPS thing (among other stuff). However, I figured I might need some stateside EP training to be more "hirable"... thanks in advance..
Old 7 March 2018, 02:49

http://www.esibodyguardschool.com/
Old 7 March 2018, 05:43
Confirmed User

What are you looking to achieve?
Old 7 March 2018, 08:10
Authorized Personnel

I would get whatever licenses your state requires first, and then gauge the market before judging if you need the certs from something like ESI.
Old 7 March 2018, 11:04
Confirmed User

ESI is a reputable company with a long track record. They are one of the "big three" EP courses. The others being Executive Protection Institute (EPI) in Virginia and R.L.Oatman & Associates in Maryland. If you plan on working in NOVA, I suggest doing EPI's course because it is VA DCJS approved. If you are mainly looking to do corporate work, Oatman seems to be the preferred provider. If neither of these situations apply and ESI's schedule matches yours, go for it.

x/S
Old 8 March 2018, 19:34
Rocket Surgeon

I would bear in mind that the founder/owner of ESI spent his earlier adult years as a violent Marxist revolutionary, fighting against capitalist governments in Latin America in the 60s and (I think) 70s. He has since changed his tune, but I would choose to spend my dollar elsewhere.

Since you have your hard skills training via WPS, I would look towards Oatman or EPI.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 8 March 2018, 22:29
Administrator

Staff bios are weak, IMHO.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 8 March 2018, 22:40
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Staff bios are weak, IMHO.
I read through them, and thought they were...odd. What's that one guy's specialty? Dangerology? Dangerosity?
Old 8 March 2018, 22:44
The atomic zit

Dangerology is a thing: http://www.dangeriseverywherebook.com
Old 9 March 2018, 01:02
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I read through them, and thought they were...odd. What's that one guy's specialty? Dangerology? Dangerosity?
Ooh is that like Killology?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 9 March 2018, 01:08
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I'm not sure, but I know some guys who will come and lecture us, for a price!!!
Old 9 March 2018, 09:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Is it like shovelology?
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 9 March 2018, 09:38
exquisitus asinus

I believe one of our BTDT members here used to be on the cadre at ESI (may still be?) and could probably provide some additional information..

The critical question has already been asked by @Hoepoe

What does the OP hope to achieve?

Are you actually wanting to work in the EP field? Continue down the path of PSD? Move into corporate security? What companies/organizations are being targeted for employment? etc..etc..
Old 13 March 2018, 14:54
Chuck Norris Approved

Oatman was the director, at one time, of where I work now. From those that are still around when he was there, they said there is nothing that any one of those schools can teach you that you don't already know or wont learn on a detail. I had only worked PSD before, thus the typical WPS background, no special school or certification. It really depends on how well you fit into the culture and with the client. We have had some really experienced and vetted guys not cut it because they could not adjust to the corporate life and politics that go with it and then there are the the people who know how to play the game and have been there 20+ years. This is based on my experience, YMMV. We have only one person who has ever attended an actual EP school and it was ESI. He has nothing negative to say about it and attends their annual conference each year more so for networking than anything else.
Old 14 March 2018, 03:52

Hey brother, that's what I'm trying to figure out; the networking part. Most of my boys are still on the WPS/OGA side, so not much help there. If you don't mind me asking how'd you get into the EP business?
Old 14 March 2018, 06:19
Administrator

Generally, if you want networking and a credential that will be recognised here and abroad, then EPI is the path of least resistance.

I'm not a fan of Oatman as his experience with non US based EP services is very limited IMO.

ESI is generally great if you can use the GI Bill, but it's way more than someone coming off WPS needs.
Old 14 March 2018, 08:14
Authorized Personnel

I'm just spitballing here, but maybe look at going to a driving course instead for the networking aspect. A place like VDI is widely recognized, and will only run you about $2k vs. investing in the ESI cert. You'll be re-doing skills that you've already acquired from WPS, but it won't require as much time or money as ESI. Spend whatever other money you need to on your state license/s.
Old 14 March 2018, 09:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I'm just spitballing here, but maybe look at going to a driving course instead for the networking aspect. A place like VDI is widely recognized, and will only run you about $2k vs. investing in the ESI cert. You'll be re-doing skills that you've already acquired from WPS, but it won't require as much time or money as ESI. Spend whatever other money you need to on your state license/s.
I believe driving by VDI is included in the larger packages offered by ESI. In addition, one of the most difficult transitions from an employer's point of view, is from HRE/PSD to corporate/family EP CONUS; an ESI (or any other REPUTABLE school) cert helps smoothen that. Instructing for ESI on the corporate module, is the former head of EP and Intel for McDonalds Corp and a lot can be learned from him. He's a very progressive thinker.

I designed and delivered the covert protection module on behalf of ESI as part of a partnership between the company i was VP at and ESI; as such, I am limited to what i can write, whether negative or positive but I can write that the ESI EP program underwent a major (positive) shift about a year ago, actually i guess i just wrote something positive! The covert module is now mainly taught by a former employee and student of mine with whom i've been working with since cassette players where the cool thing to have!

For a corporate or family office type gig, i would not take the DDM or any other "scary" modules.
If anyone reading this does take the ESI class, rent a house with some classmates, the accommodation is WAY better than what it was, but not stellar.

Regarding networking, i deliver a pretty good product, but my career is where it is as a direct result of networking. Networking does NOT replace knowhow, but it DOES help get work.

Hope that helps.

H

Last edited by Hoepoe; 14 March 2018 at 09:22.
Old 14 March 2018, 09:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Generally, if you want networking and a credential that will be recognised here and abroad, then EPI is the path of least resistance.

I'm not a fan of Oatman as his experience with non US based EP services is very limited IMO.

ESI is generally great if you can ise the GI Bill, but it's way more than someone coming off WPS needs.
Yup to all points; with regards to WPS, many corporates and family offices are "afraid" of the big "scary" contracting world, providing training from a reputable CONUS centric school helps them get over that; it also shows a willingness (of the applicant) to "retrain" as per environment. Not specific to ESI, in general, it's not a bad idea to get a cert (and knowledge that goes with it) as per the target market.

Re the GI Bill, it all depends, can a veteran use it for college or university? I KNOW there are many factors, but that's probably the direction I would go if Uncle Sam was paying.
Old 14 March 2018, 09:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar1 View Post
Hey brother, that's what I'm trying to figure out; the networking part. Most of my boys are still on the WPS/OGA side, so not much help there. If you don't mind me asking how'd you get into the EP business?
Join the industry groups on FB, LinkedIn, come to industry events (Vegas in Nov/Dec is a must), meet people, don't be a dick, maintain a good name and unshakeable integrity and you'll be good to go. Sort of like here on SN...

H

Our new posting rules