SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 31 October 2017, 21:41
Confirmed User

Cold Weather Gear

I am in Minnesota and a group of us went ATVing in Wisconsin this past weekend. I thought that I was dressed pretty warm, but the wind cut right through what I was wearing. We had an air temp of about 30 degrees F, but some wind. Anyway, can I find decent cold weather gear without spending an arm and a leg? Is Goretex the way to go for wind resistance? Also, I gather poly-pro for long underwear?
Old 1 November 2017, 05:54
Bitter old man.

Merino wool buy once cry once.
Old 1 November 2017, 15:46
Divides by zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Merino wool buy once cry once.
Yep. Darn Tough socks will make you very happy. And they have a lifetime warranty.
Windblockers, Wool and layers. Can't go wrong.
Old 1 November 2017, 16:03
Been There Done That

If you don't mind wearing camouflage and want to spend less money for the same stuff REI sells-

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/

You have to do a little searching on the site but you can buy the ECWCS system and polypro pretty cheap...
Old 1 November 2017, 19:47
The atomic zit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapstash View Post
...Darn Tough socks will make you very happy. And they have a lifetime warranty... .
Three new pair arrived yesterday.

I had two pair that were replaced with out question.

My dumbass bought two pair of their thinnest and wore them daily.
Old 1 November 2017, 22:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

I had two pair that were replaced with out question.
Is this the norm? I'm in the market for new ones. I'm tired of going through 8 pairs a year. I don't expect them to last forever but I shouldn't see my heel inside of 3 months.
Old 2 November 2017, 13:44
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Is this the norm? I'm in the market for new ones. I'm tired of going through 8 pairs a year. I don't expect them to last forever but I shouldn't see my heel inside of 3 months.
No. I bought some of two lightest cushioning versions for summer. The ones I wore out were biking socks. Definitely user error. My standard is "cushion".

The lighter socks have been relegated to dress socks, as they are black.
Old 1 November 2017, 06:00
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I am in Minnesota and a group of us went ATVing in Wisconsin this past weekend. I thought that I was dressed pretty warm, but the wind cut right through what I was wearing. We had an air temp of about 30 degrees F, but some wind. Anyway, can I find decent cold weather gear without spending an arm and a leg? Is Goretex the way to go for wind resistance? Also, I gather poly-pro for long underwear?
Yup - go to REI (or whatever the Wisconsin equivalent is) and get a hardshell jacket for 100 bucks or so. This will protect you from the wind and rain, but not the cold - it will conduct through to your skin - so wear mid and base layers. Wool or fleece for mids, capilene or polyester for base. Avoid cotton. If it's going to get super cold, consider a mid layer with a thin down lining as well (aka a light puffy jacket).
Old 1 November 2017, 06:44
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Don't forget the importance of keeping your head warm, especially when it is very cold. For extended outdoor exposure with temps and/or wind chill well below freezing, wrap a towel around your neck so that the upper end covers your ears, nose and mouth with the lower end of the towel tucked between the mid and base layers of clothing. A wool ski mask will hold the towel in place. You will breathe through the towel at the mask's mouth hole to keep your lips from getting frostbite. A wool beanie / watch cap is easy to pull over the top of the ski mask for an extra layer on the crown of the head, and if there will be moisture your hard outer shell jacket probably has a hood. The hood and beanie are easy to remove and reinstall to keep your head from overheating due to exercise.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 1 November 2017, 10:28
Confirmed User

My cold weather gear varies greatly on how cold. The stuff I wear at 28 degrees is quite a bit different from the stuff I wear in the negatives.
Old 1 November 2017, 11:22
Authorized Personnel

Gore-Tex, poly-pro, wool, etc., are good general purpose answers, but if you have a specific need for warmth in Minnesota while ATVing, I'd look into snowmobile suits.

http://www.upnorthsports.com/snowmob...wmobile-suits/
Old 1 November 2017, 13:22
33,024 - R.I.P.

Just remember "cotton kills". Cotton loves to retain moisture, and as the air temp drops, so does temp of the moisture next to the body thereby dropping core temps.

A good fleece balaclava works well for keeping the dome warm. Most heat escapes through the head, armpits and groin.
Old 1 November 2017, 16:05
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Just remember "cotton kills".
"Smart Cotton" has given us a lot of work over the years
Old 1 November 2017, 16:21
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
"Smart Cotton" has given us a lot of work over the years
LOL. Hypo much?
Old 1 November 2017, 20:10
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Gore-Tex, poly-pro, wool, etc., are good general purpose answers, but if you have a specific need for warmth in Minnesota while ATVing, I'd look into snowmobile suits.

http://www.upnorthsports.com/snowmob...wmobile-suits/
Most sled heads I know go that route.
Old 1 November 2017, 16:08
The atomic zit

Columbia 3-in-1:

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/co...5284-prod100NK

I have something similar. Gortex type outer, fleece zip-in.

Great deals at Sierra trading post.
Old 1 November 2017, 16:11
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Great deals at Sierra trading post.
They have excellent customer service, too. My wife bought some boots from them, guessed wrong on the size, and had no problems at all swapping them out for the correct size even though she waited an inordinately long time to do so. Because of that, we've bought more stuff there since.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 1 November 2017, 16:14
Shakin' the bush Boss

I have a BassPro 100mph gor tex set. Bibs and jacket. Cuts the wind better than anything I've ever had. I do a lot of winter boating and it's the bomb. I think they only come in red and blue, but sometimes you just have to embrace the rainbow.
Old 1 November 2017, 20:17
Confronting the Reckoning

Takes notes on what you wear when. Then you'll be sure not to over dress or underdress. You'll also be confident in the future because you'll know you can trust yourself.
Old 1 November 2017, 22:26
Confirmed User

Darn tough and Lorpen wool socks are good to go.

Merino wool from Black Ovis is similar in quality to the pricy hunting brands, at about half the price. You can find some smartwool at Sierra Trading Post as mentioned above at steep discounts if you aren't picky on color.

A bit of merino for a base, a good insulating layer like down or a synthetic equivalent, and a wind proof shell should meet most of your needs.

Often overlooked are float coats or survival suits like the Mustang ones. They act as a life jacket if you go through the ice, but the foam also makes them super warm.

Our new posting rules