SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 16 October 2017, 20:05
On the Extract Bird

H2H SD Advise

For those of you that may have had extensive martial arts training, which form of MA would you recommend for self defense? Krav Maga or Thai Quan Do? Those are the best 2 options that I have around me afaik. However, I want something effective and something that will work long term.
Old 16 October 2017, 20:06
Authorized Personnel

If that's the only choice -- Krav Maga for combatives purposes. The other if you want tradition and sport. That's it in a nutshell.

Also, have you spent some decent time in the H2H threads as well as the archives. There is a lot of that same information already addressed.
Old 16 October 2017, 21:23
On the Extract Bird

I did, however I wanted to know as of now. I've seen new things come up rather quickly and I don't know what is really what anymore or what is updated. I took some MMA classes (primarily Brazilian jiu-jitsu and mui thai) and the instructor taught the the same techniques for about 10 months at a time and handed us what seemed like updated belts as we went along. So I got away from that because I'd rather not learn the same thing repeatedly and handed an "achievement" as if I accomplished something this week that I had down 6 months ago. I understand that practice does well but I know people that took karate that got damn near a black belt in 14 months and had actually taken some time off. I want professional opinions. But i've been thinking about leaning more toward krav Maga. But I don't know much about Thai Quan Do. So that's where I wanted external input.
Old 16 October 2017, 23:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletAim View Post
For those of you that may have had extensive martial arts training, which form of MA would you recommend for self defense? Krav Maga or Thai Quan Do? Those are the best 2 options that I have around me afaik. However, I want something effective and something that will work long term.
Have you looked into Rex Kwon Do ? Might be just what your looking for.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q_W4Gi5h9P8
Old 17 October 2017, 00:33
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

If all you want is self defense against your average angry civilian and nothing more, and you're not looking to do individual unarmed combat against Chinese movie gangsters or compete in an MMA match, some basic old fashioned Wing Chun is quicker to learn and probably more useful in confined quarters than the complex stuff you're talking about. Practice makes perfect at anything, but the quicker you can master the basic skills of what you are going to practice until you are competent, the sooner you can effectively employ what you are learning. Somebody proficient in Krav Maga could probably lay waste to a common Wing Chun user if things get serious, but Wing Chun is a relatively quick study, and afterward you can always move on to something else.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 17 October 2017, 00:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
I did, however I wanted to know as of now. I've seen new things come up rather quickly and I don't know what is really what anymore or what is updated. I took some MMA classes (primarily Brazilian jiu-jitsu and mui thai) and the instructor taught the the same techniques for about 10 months at a time and handed us what seemed like updated belts as we went along. So I got away from that because I'd rather not learn the same thing repeatedly and handed an "achievement" as if I accomplished something this week that I had down 6 months ago. I understand that practice does well but I know people that took karate that got damn near a black belt in 14 months and had actually taken some time off. I want professional opinions. But i've been thinking about leaning more toward krav Maga. But I don't know much about Thai Quan Do. So that's where I wanted external input.
So - any school that gives a black belt in any measurement of time that is not in years - avoid like the plague. And 14 months? You sure about that?

Btw - it's Tae Kwon Do.

BJJ is without a doubt the best one-one grappling art there is. However - toss a weapon into the mix, and/or multiple opponents and your training will need to change accordingly.

Krav Maga is good for self-defense. But be careful of the adherence to techniques and the deliberate adrenaline dump that some KM schools subscribe to.

Beyond all of this - what is most important is finding a school and teacher that you trust and feel comfortable with - and one that you feel is giving you the skills you want to acquire. Also, if the school doesn't have you spar regularly to allow you to validate and grow - then I would not train there. Good luck in your search.
Old 17 October 2017, 03:14
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
If all you want is self defense against your average angry civilian and nothing more, and you're not looking to do individual unarmed combat against Chinese movie gangsters or compete in an MMA match..
Not trying to be Jackie Chan and I don't want to make it a sport. But, I've also never tried fighting Chinese movie gangsters so thank you for the advice nuke.

Quote:
Practice makes perfect at anything, but the quicker you can master the basic skills of what you are going to practice until you are competent, the sooner you can effectively employ what you are learning.
I'm not looking for over night progress. I want something effective that doesn't have me doing the same thing every class for a lot longer than needed. Everyone in my class would actually get bored of the material and the instructor would get upset about that. Tbh, it didn't seem like he knew as much as he put the appearance to know. If the H2H that you're referring to is that simple and quick then I would have to look into why it is, but I doubt that we have that here. And also, I'm not sure what "lay waste" means.
Old 18 October 2017, 16:49
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Hang out at a dive bar.
Old 18 October 2017, 19:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Hang out at a dive bar.
Haha! Best answer!

Seriously - the years I spent as a bouncer in some very big night clubs is where I quickly learned what worked and what didn't.
Old 19 October 2017, 09:08
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Haha! Best answer!

Seriously - the years I spent as a bouncer in some very big night clubs is where I quickly learned what worked and what didn't.
Fully concur, seen a few "Black Belts"get their clocked cleaned by some Bar Fu.
Old 19 October 2017, 19:37
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Hang out at a dive bar.
Never considered it, but i'll likely save that for a later note lol...
Old 19 October 2017, 23:15
Been There Done That

You might want to check this guy out. Matt Larsen. He was a Team Leader in my Platoon in 1st Batt. He is a guru of modern combatives.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Larsen

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 20 October 2017, 02:29
Confirmed User

Spent 86 - 88 in Djibouti 13 DBLE with Nick Hughes
http://kravmagalkn.com/your-instructor/
He has a load of Paladin Press vids on youtube
Saw him in action a few times, pretty impressive, but then again that was then when I scared myself.
You could prolly do worse.
Old 22 October 2017, 20:39
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
You might want to check this guy out. Matt Larsen. He was a Team Leader in my Platoon in 1st Batt. He is a guru of modern combatives.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Larsen
I believe I've heard of this guy before. I do like the idea of being taught by former SOF. But I would imagine that would be difficult to find in my area, unfortunately.
Old 22 October 2017, 20:45
Voodoo guru

IF you were handed the "same moves" for 10 months by a BJJ/Muay Thai instructor, then you should be fairly proficient in at least Muay Thai.

Krav Maga in the US is mostly crap. Most of the schools are TMA (traditional martial arts) schools that closed their doors one day, and in the next week, opened up as a Krav Maga school. IF you find a KM school where the instructors were taught from someone from the old school in Israel, then you'll have the real system; not re-package TMA's.

And keep in mind, KM is a system, not a martial art. So what you learn needs to be real. IF you can find a real KM school, you'll learn by scenario training in a way that'll enable you for most social situations.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 22 October 2017, 21:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
If all you want is self defense against your average angry civilian and nothing more, and you're not looking to do individual unarmed combat against Chinese movie gangsters or compete in an MMA match, some basic old fashioned Wing Chun is quicker to learn and probably more useful in confined quarters than the complex stuff you're talking about. Practice makes perfect at anything, but the quicker you can master the basic skills of what you are going to practice until you are competent, the sooner you can effectively employ what you are learning. Somebody proficient in Krav Maga could probably lay waste to a common Wing Chun user if things get serious, but Wing Chun is a relatively quick study, and afterward you can always move on to something else.
If anyone has questions about training in Wing Chun, feel free to PM me, as I run a Wing Chun school and have been teaching the art on and off for 18 years. Be more than happy to give you some advice about training, the art, and what to look for in a potential school/training program.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by leopardprey; 22 October 2017 at 21:50.
Old 22 October 2017, 22:26
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
I do like the idea of being taught by former SOF. But I would imagine that would be difficult to find in my area, unfortunately.
Former SOF martial arts instructors may or may not be rare, but there are a multitude of retired SOF people within a 30 minute driving radius of you, including a whole bunch of socnetters.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 23 October 2017, 05:32
Authorized Personnel

My extensive background in MA is a few months of judo when I was 9 or 10 years old.

Knowing you will win is a/the major key when fighting, no matter what you want to 'specialize' in.
Old 24 October 2017, 18:11
Clorox bearer for SOTB

If you start a school, and you don't end up bruised, battered, bleeding, and beaten at least once a week or so, do something else. I had two years of Karate as a teen, one year of Tae Kwon Do as a grunt in the ROK, and 5 years of American Freestyle Karate which is a mix of Krav, Tae Kwon Do, Shotokan, and Jujitsu. It took 5 years for my black belt. Whatever style or system you choose, make sure it is as close to real as you want it to be for your purposes. If you are just looking to sweat, do that Tai bo whatnot. If you are looking to be able to handle yourself in a self defense incident, choose wisely and put in the blood, sweat, and tears.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 24 October 2017, 20:15
Been There Done That

Just use the old proven eye poke.

Captain Insano shows no mercy.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Our new posting rules