SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 13 March 2012, 18:36
FIDO

Icon5 Go Bags

Ok we had the bug out thread. And several members brought up grabbing their "go bag". Next question then is what are the essentials to have in your "go bag"? And in what amounts?
Old 13 March 2012, 19:06
Firearms Industry Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnchimo View Post
Ok we had the bug out thread. And several members brought up grabbing their "go bag". Next question then is what are the essentials to have in your "go bag"? And in what amounts?
Depends on your location, and what your plan is. I have a few different ones, I don't call them go bags, just "stuff".

For example, the full ruck I keep at the house, is different, and much more minimalist, than the satchel (man purse) that goes in the trunk. One is designed to get me home, the other to live out of. Know what I mean?

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 13 March 2012, 19:15
Migratory Coconut

Currently I only have one setup and unfortunately no firearms so:

An abundance of useful medical items. Gauze, medical tape, H2O2, NSAIDs, vitamins, etc. that fills a pouch about 8"x10" in my bag, a small handbook on common plants in my area (which are safe to use for which purposes type things), hand crank battery charger type thing (though honestly I may do away with it), flashlight and some batteries to go with it (D-cells 3 packs of 4 as extras), atlas and that's about it currently. Nowhere near what others are stocked with I'm sure. I have a couple of knives I would carry(1 at home, 1 in the trunk) as well as a nice walking stick/shillelagh in the trunk of my car. That's about it for now but I'm looking at expanding it after reading some of the threads here.

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle
Old 13 March 2012, 22:44
Odin's Underling

All are good ideas. I keep a "go bag" in my vehicle along with a substantial first aid kit (I'm an EMT). Like SOW, these have he tools needed to get me home. I have a ruck, for each member of the house, kept packed and ready to go. You just need to rotate food and medical supplies (and other items with a shelf-life).

Go bag contents varies based on your location and goals. I travel a lot so my bag has everything I need to sustain me for three days. Food, water, purification tablets, ammo, med supplies, flint and steel, jacket, solar blanket, etc.

The limits are as big as your wallet.

Quote:
TURD POSer Biondi: My name likely won’t be listed, as I led a covert operation of wet-teams.
Old 15 March 2012, 17:28
Migratory Coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCo275 View Post

The limits are as big as your wallet.

Also how much you can scrounge from generous relatives/friends who weren't using half of it anyway. If mine was limited to my wallet I'd be carrying a man purse.

Old 16 March 2012, 11:12
33,024 - R.I.P.

One of the things I find most amusing is some of the stuff that people put into their B.O.B., SHTF, GOOD, etc bags. I have watched several videos of self proclaimed experts and read the marketing gurus inventory lists.

Urban AO:
-If your AO is an urban environment, and most "bug-out" situations will be, you don't need to have fish hooks, and fishing line. This is such a "Rambo-survival knife" misnomer. And, no matter how bad ass you are, you can't sew yourself up. Fishing is relaxation time.

Basics (primary considerations)
A) H2O - Gotta have it...Gotta have some way to transport it. You should have a few water purification tabs, and/or a filter straw. Additionally, some way to catch or get more water (plastics bottles & bags). Like the folks at CamelBak say; "Hydrate or Die."

B) Protection - knife (folder, fixed-blade), firearm, etc. If you do include a firearm, make sure that it is compact-lightweight, and you carry 2 extra magazines. Glock 19 + 2 additional magazines is the preference for my bag. That gives me 46 rounds without having to carry additional ammo (weight).

C) Food - First, keep it light and keep it minimal. Freeze dried is good, but not always the best option (Mountain House, Wise, MRE). Also, ensure that your food is not going to take half of your water supply to make. Protein bars make a good and light alternative/addition, as well as a morale booster. Food is not at the top, because you can do just fine without it for several days. You will also need something to heat water in. I have a small-durable-lightweight titanium mug that can be used heat food/water.

D) Fire - Storm proof matches (sealed), fire striker (mag stick), steel wool with a 9V battery etc. I also carry a couple of tabs of WetFire. Learn how to make minimal fires. By this, I mean make you fire as low key as possible (Sub-terra fire, Swedish fire torch, etc). Again, you are in an urban environment, so roasting hotdogs and marshmallows in an open pit fire are a no-no. I don't know about you, but I can smell a BBQ a mile away when I'm NOT hungry. Think about the folks around you that may not have eaten for a few days, and what they are willing to do to get food. (please refer back to section B - Protection).

E) Shelter - You will most likely be able to find something in the urban setting to hunker down in for the night, but if not...a simple compact bivy bag or lightweight one man bivy tent is a good option if you find yourself just on the outskirts.

F) Clothing - Your choice will be dependent on the clime.

G) Sanitation - baby wipes, travel toothbrush & toothpaste, floss (can be used for other than cleaning teeth), small bottle of Gold Bond (seriously). quick dry towel. DO NOT use scented items. Just like the fire, the bad folks have an extremely good sense of smell.

H) - Medical - K.I.S.S., You don't/won't need a full on S.T.O.M.P. PJ med kit. Pack several sizes of bandages and gauzes, tweezers, med-tape, aspirin, benedryl, mole skin, steri-strips (for when you realize that you can't actually sew yourself up), Neosporin, x-acto blade, and a bag of Quik Clot (gauze or powder), blistex, and sunscreen.

I) Misc - If you think you might like to have additional stuff, you can load up on other junk that you think might help you make it to your destination; paracord, flashlight, chemlights, tampons - (Hey, not all preppers are dudes).

Remember this: Your "Go-Bag" is a point A to point B tool kit. If you are going camping in the wilderness, take camping stuff (like fishhooks). You'll notice that I emphasize weight frequently. More weight = more fatigue = slower progress = slower target = dead before arriving at point B.
Old 16 March 2012, 12:56
Confirmed User

JAFO, great post. To add to what you said, a real paper map or atlas of your area and a compass will aid in navigation and evaluation of your surrounding terrain.

Fish hooks can be used in traps for birds and squirrels, so they aren't completely useless in an urban setting, but I would rather eat broken glass than imagine trying to sew myself up with them.

Steri strips work a LOT better with a dab of super glue on the end. If you glue one end of a strip on the left side of a wound, and glue the opposite end of a different strip to the right side of a wound, you can use the strips as handles to draw the edges of the wound closer together. Lay the strips down and finish them with another dab of super glue.

If you are looking for a flashlight, I really like the Browning Alpha lights. (http://www.basspro(DOT)com/Browning-...0202785/135670), They are bright at 75 lumens on a single AA battery. The clip will clip to the bill of your ball cap, eliminating the need for a separate head lamp. These lights are small, light weight, and tough. I also like that I can standardize the batteries between my GPS and my light now, and I can stop buying the CR123 batteries that seem to double in price every time I need more for my Surefire.

Don't forget items like Ramen for your bag. On sale you can get 10 packets for a dollar, and the broth and noodles can be eaten together, separately, or make a great base for squirrel (or cat) soup. Not a whole lot of nutritional value, but carbohydrates and salts, not to mention the morale boost of a warm cup of soup after a long wet hike with a bag full of fish hooks and Rambo knives.

Last edited by diverescue; 16 March 2012 at 13:02. Reason: added flashlight
Old 16 March 2012, 15:54
33,024 - R.I.P.

I agree on the compass, but a map of local AO (topo or otherwise) may not be readily available and GPS requires a power source. I have a Silva Ranger in my bag(s), and a generic, but accurate, button compass in my Altoids tin.

Great tip on the Steri-strips Diver, Thanks! It looks like CrazyGlue or the like will get added to my bag(s) also. I keep the flashlights small, but powerful as well. The StreamLight Nano is a good choice as well as Photon Micro Lights. You can get both for under $10 each.

Another thing to keep in mind, and a great mantra to follow; Two is one and one is none. Make sure you have some kind of back up for each of the essentials outlined above (fire, knife, meds, H2O prep, etc.)...another reason to keep things light.

I do keep two Ramen bags and two bags of "boil in pouch" rice as part of my bag's food stores in addition to 3 protein bars and a Mountain House meal. Gotta rotate the grub every six months and change the clothes for the season.
Old 16 March 2012, 16:28
ASA Geek

Knife, basic tools,med kit/drugs/water/food/poncho /w/liner,change of clothes...I keep pistol and rifle ready just in case as well.
Carry enough for 3 days and can easily expand kit as per needs
Old 19 March 2012, 08:32
Authorized Personnel

Topographical maps of your AO are essential. You cannot assume technology will be operational for any number of reasons. Knowing how to shoot an azimuth and reading a map are key skills. Plus, a map and simple compass can help cut down on weight.

Head to the USGS for your maps: http://topomaps.usgs.gov/
Old 19 March 2012, 11:22
Bitter old man.

Great post JAFO.
I'm lucky I only work 8 miles from home.
I keep a compass,knife and handgun with me.I always have 2 water bottles or a camelback.
Old 19 March 2012, 23:52

My bag has pretty much 3 day supply, food water, clothing, first aid (make sure you get antibiotics) pet stores sell them cheap and they are pharma grade (anitbiotics are antibiotics - just make sure you check dosages) - also I have crank handle flashlights, radio's - I frikkin hate batteries. Side arm, m4 and extra ammo and mags - 40-50 Lb LG ALICE pack with frame.
Old 5 April 2012, 15:50
Going cyclic!!

Something to think about. Most of us have families, so make sure your spouse & kids also have a 'go bag' of sorts and it's comfortable for them. Even if little 8 yr old Sally, has a small kids sized camelback with nothing but her water and some clothing, it saves you from hauling EVERYTHING.
Make sure everyone knows where they are, and have a plan/s.
Most of us have camped, rucked etc, so we know what works and what doesn't. Like someone said, be mindful of weight.

As far as weapons, I have 3 .22's in my B.O.B's. I know some of you are thinking about stopping power, etc, but having .22's are good because I can carry a shit ton more of ammo, everyone in my family is familiar with them, and can shoot them fairly proficiently.
Old 5 April 2012, 16:54
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg
I know some of you are thinking about stopping power....
Only those that are open for being giggled at.

.22s for BOBs are great options, IMO....
Old 5 April 2012, 17:01
Confirmed User

Bill, the .22's are an excellent idea. My girlfriend keeps a Glock 26 in her car and I typically either carry mine or keep it in the go bag with the 19 on my body. But there is a huge difference in the weight and amount of ammo you could carry if you were to switch to .22. Not to mention my gf's daughter is proficient with a .22 as well.

My go bag that's always with me is pretty basic. Water, med Kit, compass, a large length of paracord, a few knives, Flashlight, batteries, chemlights, electrical tape, zip ties, multiple fire starting components (Matches, lighters, wetfire, etc..), MRE's, sewing kit, etc, etc...

I recently found that the Oakley Panel pack is perfect for making quick BOB's or Go bags. I like the ruck style design and they hold enough and store easy enough to be a great value (If you're fortunate enough to get them for the USStandardIssue price). I've started to pack a few of these to leave around the house and an extra in my girlfriends car.
Old 5 April 2012, 17:07
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Only those that are open for being giggled at.

.22s for BOBs are great options, IMO....
Not for giggle factor Southie...rifle or pistol? I agree that a collapsible .22 (AR-7) is a great option for a BOB for game etc. As stated before, however, I prefer some type of knock down power for two legged predators. Compact and lightweight, I think we both agree on Glock as a good primary.
Old 5 April 2012, 21:36
Authorized Personnel

Condoms

You can use them to waterproof stuff, blow them up to entertain yourself while in your hardpoint, and plus my wife is hot, and I plan on bringing her with me and having sex while we are on the lam.

I can always eat her later if things really go south.
Old 5 April 2012, 21:55
Migratory Coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Condoms

You can use them to waterproof stuff, blow them up to entertain yourself while in your hardpoint, and plus my wife is hot, and I plan on bringing her with me and having sex while we are on the lam.

Versatility is always a plus, in products as well as people.

Old 6 April 2012, 09:40
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Condoms

Or use for barter.
I agree on .22 for a B.O.B if one has to travel long distance.
Old 6 April 2012, 10:11
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO
As stated before, however, I prefer some type of knock down power for two legged predators....
Sure, but there is no such thing as "knockdown power" with regards to most guns that humans can carry. Certainly not for pistols.

Would I prefer to carry a Glock over a .22 pistol? Sorta, but depends upon the scenario. Is this the only gun I have for lots and lots of time? I may very well prefer a .22 over a Glock 9mm, a .22 is going to perhaps have a whole lots more options for use than a Glock pistol....

Our new posting rules