Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 10 April 2018, 00:10
Been There Done That

Plate carrier question

I was about to order a velocity systems scarab light plate carrier. Then I watched a video. How does everyone maintain noise discipline with these things in the field? Not that it's pertinent for my use but damn, the Velcro is loud.
Old 10 April 2018, 03:04
Divides by zero

They are always loud. I don’t know of any carrier that doesn’t have loud Velcro though. It’s the convenience I guess.
In the “field” I use them for, noise isn’t a concern. But if it was I probably wouldn’t be taking these things off at all.
Old 10 April 2018, 03:10
Authorized Personnel

Different tool, different requirement. When noise discipline was a concern, I'd run a slick low-pro carrier with a chest rig over the top. I've got a PC with a bunch of velcro on it too, but that was used when it just didn't matter who heard me. They're nice when it comes to quickly throwing your kit on and going.
Old 10 April 2018, 11:18
Been There Done That

I did some research and there are a couple of options that use fastex clips but I don't like them.

If I build something that works well I'll let you guys know.

I miss having access to riggers.
Old 10 April 2018, 11:35
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
I did some research and there are a couple of options that use fastex clips but I don't like them.

If I build something that works well I'll let you guys know.

I miss having access to riggers.
My last plate carrier for .mil use was a First Spear with their tube system. Quiet on/off

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 10 April 2018, 12:40
Navigating

Velocity Systems

I have been running the scarab for over two years (I believe). I also invested in the Blaze quick release system, that will eliminate the velcro complaint. The shoulder straps are on small d-rings so they stay off your traps, it seems like a small thing but makes it so much more comfortable. I also got Haley Strategic chest rig for 5.56. It's perfect for me as a SWAT sniper, I don't have to lay on 4 magazines of 5.56 (when in position I throw the chest rig in my deployment bag) if I am in the prone for an extended period of time and I still have my protective plates on.

There isn't a whole bunch of room on the carrier so I also got the Safariland antenna relocation kit. That enabled me to keep my radio in a location where I can actually manipulate it (I see a lot of radios mounted on the back of carriers, making changing a freq or trouble-shooting damn near impossible). Plus the antenna isn't poking me in the armpit. If you have any comms knowledge, you can make the antenna kit. I wanted to save the 85 bucks, but didn't want to invest the time to make something. The changes I've made seem like a bunch of money, but as I'm sure you're aware, when you're in it I don't want to be saying, "I sure wish I would have gotten thing a or b..." I work in for a Sherrif in a very rural county and have walked in dense woods without issue. The improvements weren't a must but they help make my job easier. If you want I took some pictures of the improvements I made to the carrier and can send them to you, I think they were too big to upload.

Last edited by 256; 10 April 2018 at 12:52. Reason: There's to There
Old 10 April 2018, 13:03
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
If you want I took some pictures of the improvements I made to the carrier and can send them to you, I think they were too big to upload.

Open them in "Paint" and resize from 100% to 25%.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 10 April 2018, 13:10
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Open them in "Paint" and resize from 100% to 25%.
Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blaze QR.jpg (31.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg D-Rings on Shoulders.jpg (32.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg HS QR Chest rig.jpg (35.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg Relocation kit.jpg (47.2 KB, 129 views)
Old 10 April 2018, 13:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
I was about to order a velocity systems scarab light plate carrier. Then I watched a video. How does everyone maintain noise discipline with these things in the field? Not that it's pertinent for my use but damn, the Velcro is loud.
Simple. I dont take my plates off when the enemy is nearby.
Old 10 April 2018, 21:41
Been There Done That

I'm all for leaving gear on but it's nice to keep it on the outside when you need to switch out layers.

256, The Blaze system looks nice but it's pricey. I think that the problem could be solved with a couple of metal clips and some sewing for a few bucks.

The first spear system looks cool but their PCs are tad bit lacking on ergonomics at first glance.

Last edited by Shark0311; 10 April 2018 at 21:49.
Old 10 April 2018, 22:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
I'm all for leaving gear on but it's nice to keep it on the outside when you need to switch out layers.
Most wear a baselayer if needed under and an open jacket over top. Add & remove jacket as needed to regulate temp.
Old 10 April 2018, 23:54
Been There Done That

Quote:

256, The Blaze system looks nice but it's pricey. I think that the problem could be solved with a couple of metal clips and some sewing for a few bucks.

The first spear system looks cool but their PCs are tad bit lacking on ergonomics at first glance.
Im currently running Cryes LVS system, but have used the FS stuff. They are quite nice and very comfortable. I like the Strandhogg very much and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Our new posting rules