SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 16 October 2019, 00:30
Confirmed User

Downgrading to Windows 7 from Windows 10

Short version, I have a specific program for work that only runs on Windows 7. I have ordered two refurbished Dell business models from Amazon now that were supposed to come with Windows 7 Pro. Both came with Windows 10 despite assurance they wouldn't.

I'm mediocre at best with computers. I've partitioned all my previous computers to use linux and windows 7 and use the linux for 95% of my work. Everything I could find on downgrading was based towards someone who switched over and didn't like Windows 10.

To boot, the key code when typed into the Microsoft site came back invalid. Also another issue is I noticed support is done for Windows7 in January.

Any tips for a knuckle dragger? Thanks
Old 16 October 2019, 09:01
Nexus Schemer

Is the windows 7 app you need for professional or personal use? The tough party here is getting the windows 7 keys needed to activate.

If you are doing this for personal use you could use VMware workstation and spin up a virtual on the hardware. And install windows 7. Only turn on the virtual when you need the old app.

If you’re usi g the old app all the time might be a pain.

Sometimes the dell machines that came out between 7 and 10 had a built in recovery partition you could boot too and set the machine back to factory installed 7. Give that a look.

I’ve got oem 7 install disks that I can send you it just doesn’t have valid keys to activate. You could build the vm or the machine with it.

You can sometimes finds keys online or eBay but they are probably bogus. Cant recommend doing it the wrong way. But you might find one.

If you need the disc shoot me a pm or reply here. Glad to send it.

Let me know if you need help with the vm stuff sounds harder than it is.
Old 16 October 2019, 09:04
BTDT

If you didn't upgrade 7 to 10, there's no downgrading. You need a copy of Windows 7 and a key. If you have a retail key sticker on any other computer, you should be able to download the 7 ISO here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7

You can try installing using your other key but 99.9% it won't activate. You can then call the toll free number you'll get after clicking Troubleshoot, say you uninstalled the other copy, and it'll activate the new one after going through the "read me 10,000 numbers" deal (A. Not technically legal, but 7 is DUN, sooo. B. No idea if the other machine will stop working?)
Old 16 October 2019, 09:22
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saw7616 View Post
Iíve got oem 7 install disks that I can send you it just doesnít have valid keys to activate.
Best thing I ever did, was join TechNet when it was like $100 - and download everything before they cancelled the program a few years ago - those keys are A.W.E.S.O.M.E.
Old 16 October 2019, 10:28
Confirmed User

This VM might be the way to go as I don't use the app that often and currently had to reboot the computer anyways when I needed to get to the Windows side.

The computers have Windows 7 key stickers on them which makes me believe they put Windows 10 on when they refurbished them. I'll try your guys suggestions before the UPS guy gets here to take them back.
Old 16 October 2019, 18:30
Confirmed User

So the real issue was with getting Trimble devices to talk with Win10. These devices used Windows Mobile Device Center which doesn't really work with Win10. I was able to get it finally connect so you could transfer files so I guess I'm done with Windows 7. Why Trimble hadn't anticipated what to do when a 12 year old program quit working was beyond me. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 17 October 2019, 07:11
Authorized Personnel

Word of advice, Windows 7 as an end-of-life next year. Meaning, no updates or security patches. Best to move along.
Old 19 October 2019, 17:04
BT,WBTWC

OK, knuckle dragger question:

I have bought, over the years, some great programs for doing simple tasks.

Example:

Autosketch Version 7.0

A computer assisted drafting (CAD) program. It was an upgrade for $49 about 15 years ago from Autosketch 3.0 that I bought 30 years ago for $29.95. Version 3.0 ran on MS-DOS 3.3; Version 7 ran up to Windows XP.
Powerful drafting commands, intuitive interface, not "too many" commands. I used it for years. Than along came Windows 7, 10, whatever, and no "virtual mode" or emulator would run the program.

Today a bare bones ... and still too complicated .. CAD program now costs several hundred dollars.

What can't "somebody" make a "dummy" computer program that pretends to be Windows XP so I can run older software, especially if it is "air gapped" out of the internet and I'm willing to burn the file to a CD or put it on a USB stick?
Old 19 October 2019, 17:09
Authorized Personnel

Run a virtual machine on your modern computer.

Free: virtualbox.org
Old 20 October 2019, 05:37
BTDT

If Virtual Box doesn't run for whatever reason, I like VMWare Player - also free (or was) haven't VM'd in a looooong time.
Old 4 December 2019, 02:25

You need to be aware that Windows 7 will change in 2020.Maybe Windows 10 would be a good alternative.
Old 4 December 2019, 11:56
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy080 View Post
You need to be aware that Windows 7 will change in 2020.Maybe Windows 10 would be a good alternative.
Follow the basic, simple instructions you received when you joined the site and post an introduction.
Old 4 December 2019, 13:47
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
I've partitioned all my previous computers to use linux and windows 7 and use the linux for 95% of my work. Everything I could find on downgrading was based towards someone who switched over and didn't like Windows 10.
What's keeping you from going 100% onto Linux? The last time Windows took a dive on me was the last time I used Windows outside of my work computer. My laptop for the house has been pure Linux for almost three years now, and no issues. I'd avoid Windows if you can avoid it.
Old 4 December 2019, 16:27
BT,WBTWC

OK,

(I said this was a knuckle-dragger question)

If I install "Virtual Box" and tell it to emulate Windows XP, do I
have to have a Windows XP installation disk? Or does Virtual Box
have all the Windows XP operating system emulators built in?
How far "back" will Virtual Box emulate? Maybe even DOS 3.3?
Old 4 December 2019, 18:04
Authorized Personnel

You will need to have a copy of WinXP. Virtualization is like having a completely separate, new computer. The only shared elements are the hardware.
Old 4 December 2019, 18:51
I reckon so. . .

Major Geeks, my long time go to for PC related stuff has a Virtual XP box that can do your XP shit on Win7 and other Win's.
Here is Timothy's (the proprietors) link->https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/det...s_xp_mode.html
Old 4 December 2019, 19:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
What's keeping you from going 100% onto Linux? The last time Windows took a dive on me was the last time I used Windows outside of my work computer. My laptop for the house has been pure Linux for almost three years now, and no issues. I'd avoid Windows if you can avoid it.
There is a couple of work programs I havenít figured out how to run on Linux. However itís getting better and better.
Old 6 December 2019, 03:24

Quote:
These are what i found,you can reinstall a new Windows 10 (The latest version).
https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-10
https://www.androidphonesoft.com/resources/install-windows-10-from-usb-on-new-pc.html
My Windows 10 has been working on my computer for 5 years,and i have no plans to leave it.
Old 6 December 2019, 03:25

Quote:
These are what i found,you can reinstall a new Windows 10 (The latest version).
https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-10
https://www.androidphonesoft.com/res...on-new-pc.html
My Windows 10 has been working on my computer for 5 years,and i have no plans to leave it.
Old 6 December 2019, 03:27
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Maybe you need to be aware of the instructions for joining this site. I.e. the part about your first post.

Our new posting rules