SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 15 March 2017, 04:12
Confirmed User

Besides the Kimber above, here are a few others in the stable. There is just something about a 1911 that makes me giddy.

Mars Armament Axiom built on a stainless new series 70 Colt. I had Steve murder this one out, but I added the rag micarta grips.

The micarta has an interesting back story. The Westinghouse rag micarta was used for work tables and other surfaces and it was adopted by knifemakers for handle material. It has not been made for a while and is pretty coveted. I had a block of rag I was planning on using on my own knives, but got a wild hair for a cool project that wound up taking 10 years to complete - I had a couple knifemaker friends make knives for me and use the rag I had. Steve Johnson made a Chute knife and Kit Carson (RIP) made a folder. The 1911 grips were that last piece of the puzzle.

Yost-Bonitz 1* package on a new Series 70 Colt.

DIY project waiting for me to be home long enough to complete it...a clean Remington Rand slide I found on GunBroker paired with a Fusion Firearms frame.

Old 15 March 2017, 04:49
Another pool cleaner

Awesome.
Old 16 March 2017, 01:11
Did...did I do that?

Has anyone added an aftermarket rail? Specifically to a Kimber (Pro Carry)? I learned the Harries hold back in the academy in the early 90s, but I've never felt terrifically comfortable with it since it's not quite as stable as a good two-handed grip. I've got a Beretta PX4 with a rail, and I'm going to get a light for it, but I want one for the Kimber too.

Found this article listing a few options, but the Surefire MR0 is discontinued. I think Novak's is DC as well. Kind of leaning toward not wanting to drill & tap the gun.

TRG has the TICK/EZ-Rail (out of stock) which uses a replacement slide stop, and Streamlight has the TLR-6 for non-railed 1911s.

Anyone tried any of these?
Old 16 March 2017, 03:08
Confirmed User

My Yost-Bonitz Colt has a Dawson rail. There are a lot of factory rail gun choices now. I would choose a railed gun now over adding one, but when I had the gun built, the factory stuff was pretty limited.
Old 16 March 2017, 09:23
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Has anyone added an aftermarket rail? Specifically to a Kimber (Pro Carry)? I learned the Harries hold back in the academy in the early 90s, but I've never felt terrifically comfortable with it since it's not quite as stable as a good two-handed grip. I've got a Beretta PX4 with a rail, and I'm going to get a light for it, but I want one for the Kimber too.

Found this article listing a few options, but the Surefire MR0 is discontinued. I think Novak's is DC as well. Kind of leaning toward not wanting to drill & tap the gun.

TRG has the TICK/EZ-Rail (out of stock) which uses a replacement slide stop, and Streamlight has the TLR-6 for non-railed 1911s.

If you sell or trade your Pro carry and add the cost of what ever add on rail, you will be within 10% of a new or used Kimber Pro TLE II RL. All Steel, Stainless or Blued. IMHO, the TLE II line is the best value in the Kimber catalog.

Litepath will make you a holster for CCW as well.
Old 15 April 2017, 21:54
Confirmed User

I just shot my new (for me) Springfield MC Operator today. Holy tits is it a tackdriver. I'll throw up a picture in a bit. Now I just need to find a decent holster that won't cost me a firstborn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0311.jpg (27.5 KB, 525 views)

Last edited by hunteran; 15 April 2017 at 22:00.
Old 15 April 2017, 21:55
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

^Nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15 April 2017, 23:23
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunteran View Post
Now I just need to find a decent holster that won't cost me a firstborn.
Paging Litepath. Mr. Litepath, please report to the thread.

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124031
Old 16 April 2017, 07:01
Bitter old man.

Quote:
I just shot my new (for me) Springfield MC Operator today. Holy tits is it a tackdriver. I'll throw up a picture in a bit. Now I just need to find a decent holster that won't cost me a firstborn.
Nice weapon, SA makes a great 1911 that won't break the bank.
Old 18 April 2017, 08:59
Been There Done That

Quote:
Now I just need to find a decent holster that won't cost me a firstborn.
If you are looking for leather, I am really happy with TT Gunleather. His products are top notch and his delivery schedule is accurate.

http://www.ttgunleather.com/
Old 18 April 2017, 09:27
I reckon so. . .

Thumbs up

Quote:
Paging Litepath. Mr. Litepath, please report to the thread.

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124031

Who me? I'm still pouting because I don't have a 1911. . . . .

This thread is drool worthy.
Old 18 April 2017, 16:52
Confirmed User

Quote:

I've got a dawson rail on my Kimber. Works well and is low profile. You need an adapter for the surefire x300 though.

Last edited by Gunk; 18 April 2017 at 16:56. Reason: add picture
Old 18 April 2017, 18:23
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
I've got a dawson rail on my Kimber. Works well and is low profile. You need an adapter for the surefire x300 though.
Thanks. The Dawsons are hard to find these days, and my ultimate goal was to avoid drilling and tapping. I'm really looking hard at the Recover Tactical CCP3. It's about $50 and the reviews seem positive. Because it's integrated to the grip, it seems a lot stronger and more reliable than the Surefire add-on (which is out of stock, anyway.)

TFG had a valid suggestion, but I'm partial to this gun since it's the first 1911 I ever owned.
Old 18 April 2017, 18:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
Thanks. The Dawsons are hard to find these days, and my ultimate goal was to avoid drilling and tapping. I'm really looking hard at the Recover Tactical CCP3. It's about $50 and the reviews seem positive. Because it's integrated to the grip, it seems a lot stronger and more reliable than the Surefire add-on (which is out of stock, anyway.)

TFG had a valid suggestion, but I'm partial to this gun since it's the first 1911 I ever owned.
In case you find it bulky, I think Steve Morrison at Mars Armament makes a dawson clone and installs it as well. You'd have to call him and confirm.
Old 18 April 2017, 21:12
The Sagacious One

Quote:

If it has sentimental value, keep it bone stock and buy the Custom TLE II / RL. Tell your wife not to be mad, and that I said it was OK. I don't have pleasant thoughts about that wrap around rail thingy.
Old 18 April 2017, 23:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
If you are looking for leather, I am really happy with TT Gunleather. His products are top notch and his delivery schedule is accurate.

http://www.ttgunleather.com/
I have a mag carrier from him for my CCW rig. I'll have to see what his lead times are looking like because I really like the mag carrier. Wish I could get a milt sparks but the lead time is redonkulous.
Old 18 April 2017, 23:56
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
If it has sentimental value, keep it bone stock and buy the Custom TLE II / RL. Tell your wife not to be mad, and that I said it was OK. I don't have pleasant thoughts about that wrap around rail thingy.
Expand please?. Seriously. I value the knowledge around here. Although the other option interests me as well.
Old 19 April 2017, 07:48
The Sagacious One

As I have never shot one, my concerns are anecdotal and not analytical. The controls seem as if they may be impeded by the ridges and grooves, in specific the slide stop. I am also curious as to how the front strap changes the grip and if it impacts you ability to activate the grip safety. Holsters will be an issue.

For $50 and no permanent changes to your gun, I guess its worth the experimentation.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 19 April 2017 at 09:37.
Old 19 April 2017, 14:26
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
As I have never shot one, my concerns are anecdotal and not analytical. The controls seem as if they may be impeded by the ridges and grooves, in specific the slide stop. I am also curious as to how the front strap changes the grip and if it impacts you ability to activate the grip safety. Holsters will be an issue.
All valid points to consider.

Bob, have you considered just buying a frame with a rail and swap parts? just a thought.
If not get yourself a Springfield MC or RO operator both can be had for under $1k if you look around.
Old 19 April 2017, 14:36
Old Scroll

So I went out a few months ago and put a set of MagPul grips on my Commander that are similar in countour as these from Hunteran on his Springfield.

All I can say is that after a lifetime of shooting my Commander with GI profile grips (other than a set of Pachmeyers with a wrap-around-the-front checkered strap which I used for 20 years) I'm really, really not diggin' the scooped out area that's there to "facilitate rapid mag changes."

Holy Mother of God, talk about one little thing totally dicking up your grip. I mean, for me it's a fundamental change that I'm not going to be able to make. I'll try another few hundred rounds out if it when I hit the range end of the month, but I'm also going to be bringing my toolbox.

Has anybody else had similar reactions to that big scalloped out section?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab

Our new posting rules