SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 24 January 2019, 15:31
Administrator

.224 Valkyrie

Has anyone shot one of these yet?

Pretty bad ass ballistic performance, production round, and looks like a lot of folks making uppers for it already.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/224valkyrie/
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 24 January 2019, 18:03
Unemployed Stunt Double

A very impressive round...however...no way to know if it is going to become commercially viable (meaning available/affordable ammo/mags over the long term). Think of all the wonderbullet chamberings that were announced as the Next Big Thing, but never got beyond wildcat status.

So...if you are good with having a wildcat, no problem.
Old 24 January 2019, 18:10
Make a desert and call it peace.

I have not owned a 224 Val, nor a 22 Nosler, but 10+yrs ago I was playing with various wildcats based on the SPC case that are very similar.

224Val has good availability, and is a decent step up from 5.56, particularly if you don't/don't want to hand load. If you're not tied to the 556 ammo chain, it's a marked improvement when trying to make a 556 rifle perform like a 762 rifle at 800-1000. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 24 January 2019, 18:32
Anesthetized User

Hodgdon has their 2019 annual reloading magazine out with Valk. load data.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hodgdon.jpg (55.6 KB, 239 views)

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 24 January 2019, 19:32
Been There Done That

FWIW. My neighbor has enough AR's to outfit a couple of rifle squads. He has shot one that his brother has. He was impressed and said it was very accurate. Cutting the same hole accurate. They weren't doing any extremely long range shooting. I dont know what loads they had.

While cool...I dont see one in my future.

Karl Childers
Old 24 January 2019, 21:03

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
I have not owned a 224 Val, nor a 22 Nosler, but 10+yrs ago I was playing with various wildcats based on the SPC case that are very similar.

224Val has good availability, and is a decent step up from 5.56, particularly if you don't/don't want to hand load. If you're not tied to the 556 ammo chain, it's a marked improvement when trying to make a 556 rifle perform like a 762 rifle at 800-1000. S/F....Ken M
I have been using 6.5 Grendel for a couple years now as an intermediate range option. The 18” barrel is optimal 0-600 yards. For a gas gun to have pie plate accuracy at 600 with a 1-6X optic is not bad; albeit no 10mph full value to deal with
Old 25 January 2019, 00:18
Administrator

I probably won't do it on this AR, but DAYUM, those ballistics are pretty incredible.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 25 January 2019, 09:32
Confirmed User

I have only shot it out to 900 yards, but scary accurate. I like it more than my .308 and 6.5 Creed. Plus more fun to shoot; half the recoil. There is a .224 Val FB page, some of those guys are getting incredible results with handloads.
Old 25 January 2019, 10:57
Make a desert and call it peace.

224 Val with 80-90gn VLD/OTM is probably as good as you can get within the AR15 envelope, running from a magazine. For long range, you always choose BC over velocity, unless you have drastic differences, which will not be the case here.

That said, if you're doing a bolt gun, and there's not some issue with recoil sensitivity, I'd go with 6.5-284, 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmore, depending on what other factors you consider important, such as ammo cost and availability, barrel life, etc.

You can go over to JBM Ballistics website, open another window to search loading data and reported MV, and go crazy plugging in numbers until you see something that strikes your fancy.

Back when I was doing NRA highpower and long range, the inertia of the various 30 caliber magnums was being overcome by the 6.5mm's. But that's a function of shooting 40+ rds prone in a day, with brakes and cans banned. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 25 January 2019, 11:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
224 Val with 80-90gn VLD/OTM is probably as good as you can get within the AR15 envelope, running from a magazine. For long range, you always choose BC over velocity, unless you have drastic differences, which will not be the case here.

That said, if you're doing a bolt gun, and there's not some issue with recoil sensitivity, I'd go with 6.5-284, 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmore, depending on what other factors you consider important, such as ammo cost and availability, barrel life, etc.

You can go over to JBM Ballistics website, open another window to search loading data and reported MV, and go crazy plugging in numbers until you see something that strikes your fancy.

Back when I was doing NRA highpower and long range, the inertia of the various 30 caliber magnums was being overcome by the 6.5mm's. But that's a function of shooting 40+ rds prone in a day, with brakes and cans banned. S/F....Ken M
I don't hunt anymore (time and opportunity), and I only shoot the odd competition. The Val is a great round for varmint shooters and competition, IMO is the bestest round for precision AR (to which you alluded). Agreed, with a bolt, depending on what you want to do, there are likely better rounds. One thing I like about the Val is the versatility: I can hunt, I can compete, heck, I can use is as a HD platform (but unwieldy for a 20" AR). The other thing I like is it is so shootable. I can shoot it all day. I can with .308 and 6.5 Creed to some degree but will fatigue after 100 rounds or so and my accuracy suffers; .300 WinMag? Forget about it.
Old 31 January 2019, 13:33
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

I sent Sharky a PM when his original post was the only thing up in the thread, he specifically asked for feedback from people who had actually shot one and since I had not I replied by PM. The thread later moved into a discussion of other cartridges to address the desire for long range hits with something launched from an AR15 platform, so with Sharky's kind permission I'm posting the guts of our PM.....

Quote:

I looked long and hard at this. Like everyone else I was bowled over by the specs, and it came down to I was going to be choosing between .224 and 6.5 Grendel.

I wound up buying a Precision Reflex Mk12 Mod 0 clone, Douglas air gauged match stainless 1-7" barrel, 5.56mm. (A variety of Mk12 Mod 0/1/2 complete uppers are available too) Here's why.

I like "standard component". The .224 requires a 6.8SPC bolt and magazine. The Grendel also a different bolt and mag, neither of them holds the full 30, or even 28 for that matter. The increased range supposedly offered by the .224 is something I can live without compared to what the same quality of rifle (like above) will do with BH OTM "tipped match king" which is even better than the regular OTM/Mk262 series because of that tip for ballistics both flight and terminal. Spendy stuff, so I grabbed a case of Magtech OTM/Match Kings at half the Black Hills dealer price for TMK from SGAmmo.com for barrel break in, zeroing and initial practice.

http://www.gunsandtech.com/ballistics/tyan/black-hills-5-56mm-77gr-sierra-tmk-precision-ammo/

https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm-ammo/1000-round-case-556x45-otm-77-grain-smk-hollow-point-magtech-first-defense-sn

You can get any of these below in .300 or 6.8 as well.

https://www.precisionreflex.com/Products.aspx?CAT=4824

I took GPS Defense's 14 day course back in 2008. There were 4 AF SOF types there with Mk12 Mod0's and the OPS Inc model 12 suppressors. I always poo-poo'ed the deal with the "frequency shifting" claim for those cans but the day we did movers I was 50m in front of and 25m down hill from them (we all took turns pasting) while they were shooting and if I had not known where they were.....pretty impressive. So I bought an Allen Engineering AM-5, which is the exact same can, since he did 90% of OPS inc.'s production anyway before the designer died. Bought 3 of them actually to get the price break, and ordered 2 in FDE high temp cerakote. (My Mk12 Mod 0 is all FDE as well.) Can't beat that rock solid 2 point suppressor mount either, beats threads or quick detach for ruggedness.

http://aesuppressors.com/suppressors/AEM5.html

Anything goes wrong with that rifle, parts and mags are thick on the ground, not to mention ability to use 55gr/62gr if you have to.

A PVS22 or more likely an PVS14 with the little thermal piggy back unit will sit in front of the Leupy Mk4.

http://nvdevices.com/products/fusion/coti-clip-on-thermal-imager/

All the above is just where I wound up with all this, YMMV.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 15 February 2019, 16:40
Just fading away....

.224 Val

Disclaimer: I'm not a HSLD operator...Just a retired Marine that loves to shoot nice gear. I have to agree with Bob that the "Standard Component" choice works. The bottom line is most of this stuff does its job as long as the "NUT" at the end of the stock is "tight" . I have a MK12 clone with a MK 4 MR/T 2.5 x 8X for the MK262 round sitting on top and it will absolutely drill anything I want to hit out to 800 yds (as the M2 dials will only go a couple clicks past 800). It shoots the BH 77gr OTM or TSMK (MK262 stuff) Creedmore Sports 77gr otm and surprisingly enough PPU 77GR right on top of each other. I will be trying some other match stuff to see what else works (Hornady, Sig, Federal etc. We have had a .224 Val AR sitting on our main wall at the Cabelas fireams section for quite awhile now (over 6 mths)and what is ironic is that wwe haven't had any .224 ammo in the store yet. Just sayin. Sorry, but it might be a hell of a round ballistic wise but I just don't think it is going to take off like most people think. Just my Humble opinion Sparky. I digress...........WOM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MK12 M 4 MRT 2.5 x 8X 001.JPG (271.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg MK12 M 4 MRT 2.5 x 8X 004.JPG (268.8 KB, 58 views)

Our new posting rules