SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 3 July 2016, 11:39
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
The Wilson Combat flat wire recoil spring is THE spring to have in your 1911. Cannot imagine having a 1911 platform now without it. Smoothes it out, reliable, and I will never shoot enough ammo to wear it out.
For 10mm it is recommended to change springs every 2k rounds.

I'm very happy with the flat wire springs. Surprised they are not offered with them from the factory?
Old 3 July 2016, 15:33
Aegar primo

It's an option for custom orders.
Old 4 July 2016, 13:43
Been There Done That

Yep, as expected. Shot much better and not low with the arched MSHs back on the guns. Works for me at least.

Also on one of my 1911s, a Les Baer, have the tritium sights still. So rather than ordering a blacked out new rear sight and installing, I just took some black nail polish and blacked out the rear sight. Works well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 8 July 2016, 06:26
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Also on one of my 1911s, a Les Baer, have the tritium sights still. So rather than ordering a blacked out new rear sight and installing, I just took some black nail polish and blacked out the rear sight. Works well.
A little Ghetto gunsmithing.
Old 18 September 2016, 21:55
Bitter old man.

Checked out the Colt competition model at the shop today.
Very well made with a NM barrel and bushing priced under $1k. Seems like Colt is getting their act together after bankruptcy. Excellent fit and finish.
The updated Delta Elite is put together very well also but Colt really needs to checker the front strap.

I just passed 1k in my DE and no excessive wear or peening. Reliability has gone way up now that the mags are broke in. I find the Mec-Gars to be the most reliable followed by the Wilsons. Barrel to bushing is nice and tight and slide to frame is still like new.
Old 18 September 2016, 22:24
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
I've been blacking out the rear tritium for a couple of years. Helps my aging eyes to pick up the front sight faster.

Of course, I only have hot pink nail polish, so I just used a Sharpie.
Old 4 October 2016, 22:52

Pardon the intrusion, but I was hoping someone could tell me where I would take handguns to be cleaned so I may store them and if they could just sit in a safe, or do I need to put them in a special case? These will be stored, unused for years if not decades.(Hopefully).
Old 4 October 2016, 23:13
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrm View Post
Pardon the intrusion, but I was hoping someone could tell me where I would take handguns to be cleaned so I may store them and if they could just sit in a safe, or do I need to put them in a special case? These will be stored, unused for years if not decades.(Hopefully).
We talking 1911's here?

Here's what I would do:

(I have several heirloom firearms that I do not fire, as they are rare or antiques)

Get them dry, as dry as possible including the trigger mechanism. Use your favorite non-petrolum based rust preventative products. I personally use Frog Lube, and Renaissance Wax. Metal gets Frog Lube, wood gets Renaissance Wax.

IMO, any petro based lube attracts grime and turns into a jelly mess eventually.

Assuming 1911, or revolver with wood, I'd consider removing the grips, keeping them with the firearm (but away from the metal), ensuring they have a good coating of a wax based sealer. Wood needs a more consistent environment humidity wise to keep from drying out and cracking.

I also keep my long term storage firearms in silicone impregnated socks available cheaply at any big box gun store.

I do not have a proper safe, rather a secure room. I have both aluminum, and pelican cases with fine firearms in which I also keep a desiccant, and a hygrometer to ensure that the humidity keeps in a safe range.
Old 5 October 2016, 22:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Sorry but I have to ask. What kind of neat guns are we talking about here? If you don't mind sharing of course....
Old 5 October 2016, 22:46

Akheloce, thank you for the reply. I believe one is a 1911 with a black grip.I was actually inquiring about a service provider that would clean the guns for me. My husband passed away suddenly and I placed the guns in a safe that had previously been bolted to a wall. Now both guns have concrete dust on them. I googled gun cleaning services and cleaning kits and sales come up. I have a cleaning kit and don't know what to do with it. I just need someone to clean them for long term storage until I figure out what to do with them, or die, and pass the problem onto someone else. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 5 October 2016, 22:52

Havok88, The handguns are only a couple years old and he carried them every day. It was the long guns that he invested in and loved the most.
Old 5 October 2016, 23:12
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Akheloce, thank you for the reply. I believe one is a 1911 with a black grip.I was actually inquiring about a service provider that would clean the guns for me. My husband passed away suddenly and I placed the guns in a safe that had previously been bolted to a wall. Now both guns have concrete dust on them. I googled gun cleaning services and cleaning kits and sales come up. I have a cleaning kit and don't know what to do with it. I just need someone to clean them for long term storage until I figure out what to do with them, or die, and pass the problem onto someone else. Any help would be appreciated.

I see.(sorry) Traditionally, there are no "cleaning services" Your only option is likely a gunsmith. Cleaning, while relatively easy is somewhat time consuming. Gunsmiths charge by the hour, and it will likely cost more than you would expect.

Think of it analogous to hiring an auto mechanic to wash and wax your car. There are no "detailing" shops for guns to my knowledge since it is traditionally performed by the owner.

Perhaps, if you are not up to doing it yourself, some friends who are gun savvy could give you a hand? A few years isn't really a long time to store a general service pistol, and just getting them clean and dry with a light protectant would probably be good enough. Heck, if you were in my area, I'd do it for free just out of principle.
Old 5 October 2016, 23:13
Confirmed User

Quote:

Ma'am
There is probably a member from here close to you, who'd help you out with getting those 1911s cleaned up and set up for long term storage or display.

I suggest updating your profile to say at least the town your in and see if someone reaches out, and also post up in the lounge for help.
Old 5 October 2016, 23:21

Thank you for your help gentleman, it's truly appreciated.
Old 5 October 2016, 23:48
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
We talking 1911's here?

Here's what I would do:

(I have several heirloom firearms that I do not fire, as they are rare or antiques)

Get them dry, as dry as possible including the trigger mechanism. Use your favorite non-petrolum based rust preventative products. I personally use Frog Lube, and Renaissance Wax. Metal gets Frog Lube, wood gets Renaissance Wax.

IMO, any petro based lube attracts grime and turns into a jelly mess eventually.

Assuming 1911, or revolver with wood, I'd consider removing the grips, keeping them with the firearm (but away from the metal), ensuring they have a good coating of a wax based sealer. Wood needs a more consistent environment humidity wise to keep from drying out and cracking.

I also keep my long term storage firearms in silicone impregnated socks available cheaply at any big box gun store.

I do not have a proper safe, rather a secure room. I have both aluminum, and pelican cases with fine firearms in which I also keep a desiccant, and a hygrometer to ensure that the humidity keeps in a safe range.
For the love of god, stop using the frog green shit. After sitting for an extended period of time I have seen it gum the pistol up alł to hell. Personally, try SEAL1 it's a MUCH better product and it's not being run by a con artist, no honor having 06.

Just my .2
Old 5 October 2016, 23:48
Red Headed Stepchild

We recently had a Pedro 1911 custom order and the chosen pistol was the SIG scorpion. My P220 is tied for best pistol I have ever shot, but I haven't heard great reviews on the scorpion. I bought it purely for the commemorative value, but was wondering if anyone here has one and/or what they think of it. It's good looking at least.
Old 6 October 2016, 08:40
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
For the love of god, stop using the frog green shit. After sitting for an extended period of time I have seen it gum the pistol up alł to hell. Personally, try SEAL1 it's a MUCH better product and it's not being run by a con artist, no honor having 06.

Just my .2
FL was ok for cleaning as Chimo stated it will gum up. It sucks in the cold.

I have since switched to SEAL-1 no gumming up and weapon works great in the cold. I ended up tossing my FL in the trash.

SEAL-1 Taste better.
Old 6 October 2016, 08:43
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
We recently had a Pedro 1911 custom order and the chosen pistol was the SIG scorpion. My P220 is tied for best pistol I have ever shot, but I haven't heard great reviews on the scorpion. I bought it purely for the commemorative value, but was wondering if anyone here has one and/or what they think of it. It's good looking at least.
Never shot a SIG 1911 but do see quite a few for short money in the shops in my AO. SIG QC has been in the toliet for a bit now FYI. See the P227 thread.
Old 6 October 2016, 17:58
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
SIG QC has been in the toliet for a bit now FYI.
Yeah, I'm aware, unfortunately I didn't get a vote on the pistol selection. Reviews are mixed, I guess I'll wait and hope I get a good one.
Old 6 October 2016, 18:22
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
FL was ok for cleaning as Chimo stated it will gum up. It sucks in the cold.

I have since switched to SEAL-1 no gumming up and weapon works great in the cold. I ended up tossing my FL in the trash.

SEAL-1 Taste better.
This is my experience. I clean with the FL cause I have 2 x 55gal drums of it. But some cool dude sent me some SEAL 1 and itworks pretty well as a lube and a cleaner. I never lube with FL any more. Does that make me racist against my NSW bretheren?

Our new posting rules