Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Psyop/Civil Affairs

Old 9 December 2013, 13:21
Confirmed User

Advice for CA Reserve units.

Can anyone tell me if there are any Reserve CA units on the east coast that are better to try to transfer to than others? Based on mission, personnel, and funding.

I wan't to make the shift from the Guard to the Reserve and am having a hard time trying to figure out if there are significant differences in the Reserve CA units that are out there.

Thanks in advance...
Old 10 December 2013, 16:08
Confirmed User

infmedic:

In regards to looking for CA units on the East Coast, I have two questions:

Are you looking to retain your current MOS or are you going to reclass?

Are you looking for a unit that is on jump status?
Old 10 December 2013, 22:26
Confirmed User

I'm 11B, so I'm willing to switch MOS's. As far as jump status goes, I'm currently in an airborne unit, and as far as I can tell it just takes up valuable training time in the Guard/Reserves, so it's not a must. I just want to be in a unit that is active enough, get guys out the door for real world missions, and will place an emphasis on training.
Old 15 December 2013, 21:22

I want to be honest with you. Reserve CA Units are a joke. Just sayin
Old 30 December 2013, 06:23
Cloud bursting...

@Infmedic

I am not a 38B however I am a 37F, based on the fact you are guard you are already culturally aware of the mentality of a reservist/guardsmen... that said, this does not mean "reserve CA are a joke" It just means people have reasons for being in the reserves/guards.

When I went through the school house I met several squared away CA folk that were reservist including an E7 long tab. My point is you are obviously reserve for a reason, so don’t worry too much about what CA unit is better than the other... they all have their ups and downs.

I suggest you pick a part of the coast you like, move there, join a unit, and make it better.
Old 6 January 2014, 14:18
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hando View Post
I want to be honest with you. Reserve CA Units are a joke. Just sayin
You are dead wrong. CA is a "Reserve Branch" as the required skill sets and expertise are found in reserve CA units. I know that the 96th doesn't have any Hydrologists, Arts Monuments and Archives Officers, Police Commissioners or other Law Enforcement Officers such as Customs and Border Protection.
I was the principal rater for the 96th CA's ARTEP at Ft. Drum in 1980 and they had none of the required skills then and I seriously doubt that they have them now. The 96th CA is incapable of conducting Civil Affairs Operations without infill of required personnel from the reserve CA units.
Can anybody in the 96th run a city water system or a city sewage system? How about training a Police Department? How do you get a mass transit system up and running after being disrupted by a war? Does the 96th have a competent Arts, Monuments and Archives team to field. I think not.
Old 15 January 2014, 07:52
Walk the plank

There is 353 CA Command, 1 star level, in Staten Island NY. If you want to jump, there is the 404th CA in Fort Dix NJ, but they may have lost their status due to funding. the 443rd in Rhode island had a few jump slots. The command is your typical HQ unit and very Officer heavy. The teams there are the technical ones, public works, economics, stuff like that. THe BNs are the tactical level CA and those attached to the maneuver units. USACAPOC is bad with managing manpower so units are sliced and diced to give up bodies to fill the next deploying unit.
Old 24 January 2014, 20:01

@infmedic: where on the east coast are you focusing on??? There's a huge distance between the 404th in New Jersey and the 478th in Perrine (Miami), FL. In between you have units all over....Columbia, SC; Greensboro, NC; NY; TN; VA; Fort Bragg; OH; Tampa; Orlando; etc, etc. In addition, you WILL reclass to 38B and you WILL get at least a secret clearance. If you fail to reclass timely or have issues getting a clearance....if the unit is squared away you will be sent packing. If looking for jump status I suggest the 450th in MD or the 478th in FL....non Airborne the 489th in TN or the 422nd in Greensboro. Once you do your homework and find a unit contact them directly via phone or better yet, stop by. The SSA/unit admin will not have a problem sharing what slots are available in the line companies. Good luck to you!
Old 25 January 2014, 00:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive Drab View Post
USACAPOC is bad with managing manpower so units are sliced and diced to give up bodies to fill the next deploying unit.
Not to be a grammar nazi, but there appears to be a few typos in your sentence. For instance, it is 19 words too long.
Old 28 January 2014, 11:49
Cloud bursting...

I have a friend heading to the 353 CA they have quite a few jump slots, yea?

As for the 443d, they have some pretty cool people, I've had the privilege of getting to know a few of them.
Old 30 January 2014, 07:21

Infmedic the 404 at Ft. Dix is still on jump statis and recruiting airborne qualified soldiers. Like otjers have said it is a reserve unit so it does have its ups and downs. We have many former airborne infantry types myself included. The 353 is indeed rank heavy and only a few airborne slots where as the 404 is all airborne. If you are jnterested and want some more info p.m me.
Old 11 August 2014, 10:04

478th CA out of Miami

Try the 478th CA BN out of the Miami area. It is actually located in Perrine (outskirts of Miami), but it is an Airborne unit and they do have slots open and jump quite a bit.

Our new posting rules