Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 19 April 2017, 21:02
It is what it is...

Deployment Vac Leave

Just curious about something as i'm not familiar with the army branch very much. As far as vacation leave goes, does it depend on the deployment of the personnel or is there some other type of regulation? Maybe the unit or those in leadership positions?

Thanks,
BulletAim
Old 19 April 2017, 21:32
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletAim View Post
Just curious about something as i'm not familiar with the army branch very much. As far as vacation leave goes, does it depend on the deployment of the personnel or is there some other type of regulation? Maybe the unit or those in leadership positions?

Thanks,
BulletAim
You mean the Army? Everyone in DoD gets 2.5 days a month which works out to 30 days a year.

Or are you referring to mid-deployment leave on a year long deployment?
Old 19 April 2017, 22:47
Been There Done That

At times over the years the Army has granted deployed troops non-chargeable "vacation" leave. After a couple of my early OEF trips I got 10 days leave that was not charged against my balance. I am not aware of any actual policy on this, AFAIK just something some commands have done from time to time.
Old 20 April 2017, 13:26
Been There Done That

my 15 month deployment got me an 18 day R&R mid-tour, non-chargable, and 30 days post-deployment leave, non-charged. as we racked up earned leave.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 20 April 2017, 14:25
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
my 15 month deployment got me an 18 day R&R mid-tour, non-chargable, and 30 days post-deployment leave, non-charged. as we racked up earned leave.
That's a pretty sweet deal!
Old 20 April 2017, 14:29
Been There Done That

The OP should note that KW Driver's leave experience during deployment is not standard, and should not be construed as being even remotely normal for the rest of the military.

Ordinarily, you get charged for your leave. You earn 30 days a year, as previously stated, and you take leave as your chain of command approves it.

Passes are a totally different thing.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 20 April 2017, 14:39

Passes were great, especially ones that allowed you to travel far.

One of my favorite "time off" periods came as I was finishing up at DLI in 1989, over the July 4 weekend.

Started out with us being released from a formation right after class let out on a Friday, with the obligatory "don't do anything stupid" speech from the CO and then the announcement that because the 4th fell on a Tuesday, Monday July 3 would be a training holiday.

We knew a few months in advance what the holiday schedule looked like, and we also knew that we had a school picnic scheduled for July 5, the day after the holiday. We also had a class picnic on the horizon for around that time, so we convinced our class leader to schedule that event for July 6, a Thursday.

Then we returned to go to class that Friday, and had that weekend off. Basically got a 6 day weekend and a 1 day week, followed by 2 days off for good behavior.
Old 20 April 2017, 14:53
It is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
You mean the Army? Everyone in DoD gets 2.5 days a month which works out to 30 days a year.

Or are you referring to mid-deployment leave on a year long deployment?
Mid-deployment, my cousin is in the Army, currently stationed in Alaska, but may be deployed overseas soon and I was just curious about this. I also don't know if Alaska is considered a "deployment" or if that's just him being stationed somewhere because he's been there for, as far as I know, just over a year and has been relieved at least twice that I know of. I believe it would have equaled out to about 16 days worth of leave total not counting the amount of time that it would take him to get back to his original post.
Old 20 April 2017, 16:08

I don't think Alaska is considered a deployment, just like being stationed in Hawaii wouldn't be considered a deployment.

In the middle of winter it might feel like a deployment, but it's still one of the 50 states.
Old 20 April 2017, 16:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
That's a pretty sweet deal!
you'd think. 15 months is a long trip. too long in my opinion.

while mine wasn't the norm as stated, I'm pretty sure it was standard for the 15 month surgers. a 15 month deployment wasn't the norm either, I just got lucky on the patch chart.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 20 April 2017, 16:34

I agree.

If anything, you got shortchanged!

Those 15 month deployments must have been real ball busters. I remember when they first instituted them, I believe it was the 10 Mtn Division, or part of it, that had just returned home after finishing 12 months, and they were told they had to turn around and head back immediately for another 3 months.

That would suck.
Old 20 April 2017, 19:03
Confirmed User

Normally, you accrue 2.5 days per month, and are charged when you use this leave. I've heardnofmunits that allow some people to take leave and don't charge it. IMO, that is wrong.

I know of two instances of "nonchargeable leave" during the most recent conflicts. At some point, individuals were authorized a non-chargeable "R&R" or "midtour" leave from deployments tomOIF and OEF. I don't remember exactly when this policy was implemented- I think between 2008 and 2011, but I couldn't swear to my memories of that.

Also, sometime around 2007-8, there was a program that allowed service members with high deployment rates to accrue non-chargeable "leave". IIRC, it was 1 day per month if you had ben deployed from 12-18 months in the last 36, 2 days per month if 19-24 in the last 36, and 3 days per month if more than 24 in the last 36. I remember this being implemented during the 2007-2008 deployment, backdated to some point, because many in my unit counted the 2005-6 deployment to immediately begin accruing this non-chargeable leave during the 2007-8 deployment, which resulted in most of our post-deployment block leave not being charged for many of us. There was a calculator online that would tell you how many days you were authorized.
Old 21 April 2017, 08:44
It is what it is...

Okay, thanks for the better understandable perspectives guys. I don't have regular contact with him so the help is much appreciated.
Old 21 April 2017, 15:50
Authorized Personnel

When I was deployed to Iraq for a year in 05-06, we were granted a 15 day non-chargeable leave that began when we arrived in Atlanta on a daily rotator flight. It wasn't a "mid-deployment" leave, since we could only send so many people at one time. Some went as early as two months into the deployment. I went in November, during our ninth month. We flew into Kuwait where they set us up with round trip commercial tickets (at no cost) from Atlanta to where ever we wanted to go CONUS, then they put us on a commercial contract flight to Atlanta. In Atlanta they dated our leave papers and sent us on our way.

It was really strange flying commercial in utilities...

Our new posting rules