SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 August 2016, 02:32
jump fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/u-...174716826.html

Well, that has got to be disheartening to the American team.

This marks the ninth time since 1995 that American men have failed in the baton exchange at the Olympics and world championships, either through disqualification or dropping.
There's been some craziness going on with DQ's and challenges on the track the last couple days. Would be interesting to see if they challenge, to my eyes he clearly didn't not PASS the baton until inside the zone. However if rule states no touching outside the zone, he's fucked.
What shitty luck/skill/outcomes!
Grief comes, but time will ease the pain.
Life ends, but death cannot erase it.
In memory, they will always remain.
Old 21 August 2016, 08:03
Been There Done That

Marathon is getting ready to start.

Hoping Rupp does well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 21 August 2016, 09:14
Confirmed User

Pretty incredible that Centrowitz won the 1500m. Even better is one of the dudes he crushed was/is a drug cheat that fucked him out of standing on the podium in the past.
Old 21 August 2016, 10:01
Drawing my cutlass

Dammit, Meb's in trouble but is maintaining his NFQ attitude.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 21 August 2016, 10:52
Confirmed User

Rupp ran a hell of a race.
Old 21 August 2016, 11:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
Rupp ran a hell of a race.
!!!! yep. Rupp takes the Bronze! Outstanding!!!!!!!!

Old 21 August 2016, 13:57
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunteran View Post
Pretty incredible that Centrowitz won the 1500m. Even better is one of the dudes he crushed was/is a drug cheat that fucked him out of standing on the podium in the past.
First time an American has won the event since 1908.

Even before Bob Costas made a reference to them, I was thinking about the Cubs. Maybe this is an omen.
Old 21 August 2016, 16:47
Calix Meus Inebrians

I know it's basketball and we're supposed to win the gold or it's a disappointment, but what Coach K did is still pretty damn good. Because of the NBA season, these guys didn't start training camp until July 17th, so just over a month from the first practice to the gold medal game. Plus, we had a very lackluster squad compared to years past, with ten of the twelve players never having been to the Olympics before. That's good coaching, and Mike Krzyzewski had his style all over this team.
Old 21 August 2016, 19:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
First time an American has won the event since 1908.

Even before Bob Costas made a reference to them, I was thinking about the Cubs. Maybe this is an omen.
Bro, the Cubs are finally going to win it this year.
19 Oct 2017
Old 21 August 2016, 20:09
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Too early!

I'm just old enough to remember '69, similar to this year in that they were so far ahead all year long, and then just blew it in the last month.

Somebody on sports radio mentioned last night that their magic number is 28, so what did the Cubs do this afternoon? Went out and got shellacked 11-4 by the Rockies.

I think they've got the horses, this is probably the best Cubs team I've ever seen assembled, but until they get that last out in whatever game clinches the actual World Series...
Old 21 August 2016, 20:20
I really don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
I know it's basketball and we're supposed to win the gold or it's a disappointment, but what Coach K did is still pretty damn good. Because of the NBA season, these guys didn't start training camp until July 17th, so just over a month from the first practice to the gold medal game. Plus, we had a very lackluster squad compared to years past, with ten of the twelve players never having been to the Olympics before. That's good coaching, and Mike Krzyzewski had his style all over this team.
I felt that I let Serbia down by not cheering loud enough for them.

But who could not be inspired by Team USA's $257M amateur basketball team? In their defense, that was only 12 months salary and endorsements, not their full contracts. Yay! USA!
Old 21 August 2016, 21:18
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post

But who could not be inspired by Team USA's $257M amateur basketball team? In their defense, that was only 12 months salary and endorsements, not their full contracts. Yay! USA!
How does money change what they accomplished? We've had professional athletes all over the Olympics. Michael Phelps isn't exactly practicing his butterfly stroke at the YMCA after a day at the office.
Old 21 August 2016, 21:58
Been There Done That

I wish the Mongolian Wrestling coaches had not only stripped down to their underwear, but should have launched their tubby selves into the officals and beaten the ever living piss out of them. What a shit call.
19 Oct 2017
Old 22 August 2016, 11:44
Confirmed User

^^^^ Shitty way to lose, but I've seen takedowns as time expired for the win. Our guy J'Den Cox, lost in the semifinals when he was a second to late with his last attempt....

Still, pretty amusing to watch
Old 22 August 2016, 12:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post

You do realize that most of the Serb team plays professional BBall right? Maybe not the NBA but they play for the various Euro leagues and get paid.
Old 22 August 2016, 12:42
Confirmed User

I hardly watched any of the Olympics this year for whatever reason, but this morning my sister sent this to me asking if I had caught this . . . The dude went on to win a Bronze medal. Well done.

https://twitter.com/NBCOlympics/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Old 22 August 2016, 12:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN47 View Post
I hardly watched any of the Olympics this year for whatever reason, but this morning my sister sent this to me asking if I had caught this . . . The dude went on to win a Bronze medal. Well done.

https://twitter.com/NBCOlympics/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
I saw when he did that...it caught me and I am sure many others off guard. It was impressive to say the least!

Well done indeed!
We must march against the enemy, and teach him that he must go and get what he wants by attacking someone who will not resist him, but that men whose glory it is to be always ready to give battle for the liberty of their own country, and never unjustly to enslave that of others, will not let him go without a struggle. -- Thucydides
Old 22 August 2016, 12:59
Been There Done That

As for Bronze medal in the marathon, this was only the second marathon Rupp had ever ran in his life. Amazing.

Old 22 August 2016, 13:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
How does money change what they accomplished? We've had professional athletes all over the Olympics. Michael Phelps isn't exactly practicing his butterfly stroke at the YMCA after a day at the office.
Very few athletes are professionals in the olympic sport in which they compete. Phelps is one of the few that has sponsorships that make him effectively a professional swimmer (even though he is not paid a salary for competing).

I think most people think of the NBA basketball players or NHL hockey players as the more significant example of professional athletes that compete in the Olympics.

In my opinion, the NBA stars going to the Olympics is in direct conflict with the spirit of the games. The NHL players are too, but to a lesser impact because many more play for other countries.
Old 22 August 2016, 13:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Very few athletes are professionals in the olympic sport in which they compete. Phelps is one of the few that has sponsorships that make him effectively a professional swimmer (even though he is not paid a salary for competing).

I think most people think of the NBA basketball players or NHL hockey players as the more significant example of professional athletes that compete in the Olympics.

In my opinion, the NBA stars going to the Olympics is in direct conflict with the spirit of the games. The NHL players are too, but to a lesser impact because many more play for other countries.
I disagree the games are to identify the very best athlete in the world at a given event. Paid or unpaid does not matter.

Our new posting rules