Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 22 January 2016, 11:00

Thank you!

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. I cant thank you enough. This information is gold to me, lots to think about and your insight is priceless.

Beers are on me if y'all ever come through town!

Thanks again!!!!
Old 14 March 2016, 18:33
Ungood

UPDATE

I'm going through the OSCP now. It is hella fun and extremely practical. A lot has changed in the last two years since I started this thread. While certs like the CEH, GCIH, and GPEN are good, the OSCP certification should really be the go-to for penetration testers (hackers). It's so good that it will likely be my last technical certification before I return back to managerial ones (CISSP, CISM, et al.).
Old 12 May 2016, 06:18
Been There Done That

Thought I would share this with you all, pay what you want Pen-Testing training, you can get up to 9 courses if you pay more than average currently ~$14.

https://androidheadlinesdeals.com/sa...-hacker-bundle

Plus proceeds go to Save to Children. Got this through work. I cant personally vouch for the training but a good basic overview at this pricing may be right for some of you (or help you know if being a pentester is for you).

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 12 May 2016, 11:35
Confirmed User

Great deals, thanks for posting. Has anyone used this site before? Just want to ask before I register/pay.
Old 16 May 2016, 22:33

Smile Different side of cyber offense

I work for a defense contractor and have spent the last 5 years on a different side of offense.

While working on government contracts, I reverse engineer software to find vulnerabilities and develop exploits, write payloads for said exploits (ROP chains, first stage payloads, etc), and even write remote access tools to support anything the customer needs.

I think I generally get a bit more in the weeds than the pentesters but it's there's some overlap.
If anyone's interested I'd be happy to help anyone wanting to get into this type of work.

It's fairly technical but is pretty rewarding once you get into it. I write almost entirely in Python, C, Assembly, and ROP chains.
Old 16 May 2016, 22:43
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedwell View Post
I work for a defense contractor and have spent the last 5 years on a different side of offense.

While working on government contracts, I reverse engineer software to find vulnerabilities and develop exploits, write payloads for said exploits (ROP chains, first stage payloads, etc), and even write remote access tools to support anything the customer needs.

I think I generally get a bit more in the weeds than the pentesters but it's there's some overlap.
If anyone's interested I'd be happy to help anyone wanting to get into this type of work.

It's fairly technical but is pretty rewarding once you get into it. I write almost entirely in Python, C, Assembly, and ROP chains.
There's several here who've developed, worked, and managed the "different" side of offense, from the rear to beyond forward. Now please post an intro as directed in your registration welcome e-mail.
Old 17 May 2016, 18:28
Ungood

Quote:
Apples and Oranges. Reverse Engineers and Penetration Testers are as closely aligned as a therapists and ER doctors.

Quote:
This site is chock full of professionals in each dicipline, in all areas of federal, financial, and commercial industries (military is given).

Welcome to SOCNET, we probably already know you
Old 17 May 2016, 18:33
The atomic zit

CV,

Has mixedwell made a proper introduction?

S
Old 17 May 2016, 18:35
Ungood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
CV,

Has mixedwell made a proper introduction?

S
Nope. Mountainbum warned him, so I assume the black rotary-wing aircraft will be inbound soon.
Old 17 May 2016, 18:45
The atomic zit

I will keep my head low, I don't want it chopped off or sucked into the back wash...
Old 17 May 2016, 22:14
Confirmed User

I will wait for the intro before I add my $0.02.
Old 17 May 2016, 22:34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Nope. Mountainbum warned him, so I assume the black rotary-wing aircraft will be inbound soon.
Or we know he hasn't logged in again and hasn't yet seen the reminder to post an introduction.
Old 20 May 2016, 09:45
BTDT

Quote:

So, you work for a Vupen type company? Awesome... how about instead, notifying the software mfgs of the vulnerabilities so that the entire world can be safer from cybercrime, and not helping the government violate the Bill of Rights some more?
Old 20 May 2016, 15:23
Confirmed User

Amen Poly! Glad to see you posting again!
Old 26 July 2016, 09:43
Confirmed User

Resurrecting this thread to say thanks for all the contributions to it. Just landed my first security gig at a major energy company after a couple years of study laying groundwork and its almost entirely because i followed the advice here and in other threads. Thanks for all of it gents.
Old 26 July 2016, 10:39
Ungood

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tiger View Post
Resurrecting this thread to say thanks for all the contributions to it. Just landed my first security gig at a major energy company after a couple years of study laying groundwork and its almost entirely because i followed the advice here and in other threads. Thanks for all of it gents.
Good job. Now, pass it forward and help someone else out.
Old 26 July 2016, 13:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Good job. Now, pass it forward and help someone else out.

Aye aye. Already have this and others bookmarked and ready to go if I come across anyone else wanting advice. Truly great stuff here.
Old 13 November 2017, 12:38
Ungood

Life has been busy, but I know a lot of folks who have been asking for more information. There are some core certifications that any IT Security pro should look to have. I can't edit the original post, but here's a good update that somewhat overlaps with what I've already said throughout. I guess you could consider this a 4Q 2017 update

CompTIA Security+: This is considered an entry-level certification, but it provides a really solid foundation that will build into other areas. If you are green to the field, start here. If you have no prior IT knowledge, look at their A+ and Network+ certifications (not required to pass Security+ though).

Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP): Recognized all over the world, this certification has somewhat become the de facto standard in cyber security. It has a lot more weight in DoD/Govt. as well.

Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH): Entry-level 'hacker' certification that is very valuable in terms of be recognized. From a functional point of view, it's actually pretty good in that it teaches methodology. It won't make you a hacker, but it will set you on the path.

GIAC Penetration Tester (GPEN): Next level up. Good cert that takes CEH to the next level. It's expensive, which sucks, so you most likely won't get this one unless your employer pays.

eLearnSecurity Certified Professional Penetration Tester (eCPPT): This one is not as well known overall, but folks that manage offensive teams know about it. Generally, I put this on par with GPEN, but maybe one notch above. The price is affordable, too. I recommend this one prior to working on OSCP.

Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP): This is quickly becoming the standard for any offensive type of work. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's a practical exam, not multiple-choice. Most teams are requiring this one as a minimum these days.

I have functional experience with incident response, GRC, reverse engineering and more, but my background is more geared towards threat and vulnerability management. I can help with specific answers regarding training in these areas, but this post would get very long. We also have some great folks on SOCNET that can delve deeper into those areas, too.
Old 15 November 2017, 08:08
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
So, you work for a Vupen type company? Awesome... how about instead, notifying the software mfgs of the vulnerabilities so that the entire world can be safer from cybercrime, and not helping the government violate the Bill of Rights some more?

...And the Chickens have come home to roost, LOL. "Keep these vulnerabilities secret and stockpile them boys, they'll never end up in the hands of the assholes".

Our new posting rules