Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 13 July 2018, 12:28
I aim to misbehave

Lifestyle reconstruction

So, I know we have a thread for disaster/attack/emergency prep stuff, but this goes a step beyond that, with less reason and it seemed better to start a new topic than to hijack that one.

Anyone else out there interested in primitive living techniques for their own sake? I've always been fascinated with it. I decided to call it "lifestyle reconstruction," as most reconstructionist movements are gear not toward lifestyle, but to religion.

Anyway...for as long as I can remember, I've been fascinated by the ways people did things before the industrial revolution, from the stone age all the way through the renaissance. I've learned to weave and to tan leather, make my own bows, make fertile soil without commercial fertilizer...I've learned to make friction fires, to carve tools from wood and bone, and to forage for wild food.

Anyone else out there weird enough to be interested in this stuff?

While true:
Continue
Old 13 July 2018, 12:30
I aim to misbehave

One thing that's been really interesting to me is a heightened awareness of where stuff really comes from. You never quite look at normal everyday shit the same again once you've learned to make it yourself, the "hard way." Even food seems different once you've started foraging for or growing your own.

While true:
Continue
Old 13 July 2018, 13:21
Confirmed User

I've always been pretty interested in making whatever I can vs buying. I'd say my interest lay more in the 1800-1930 time period. And I realize a ton of change happened during that time period.
Old 13 July 2018, 13:27
Confirmed User

I love primitive survival. I got really into primitive survival around 6 or 7 years ago and never looked back. There is nothing more satisfying and freeing then just you working with nature to simply live. Discovering you're limits and learning about yourself is the best part of the human experience IMO.

I will say I hate ticks. Those little fuckers get everywhere.
Old 13 July 2018, 15:40

There is a channel on YouTube called "primitive technology" that is full of some guy making things literally out of dirt, mud, and sticks --- and crafting amazingly functional items and materials. It's well worth the watch and you'll likely get addicted.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL...Sm8AlZyD3nQdBA
Old 13 July 2018, 16:07
Authorized Personnel

Very cool. Sounds a lot like experimental archeology.
Old 13 July 2018, 16:21
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
It's well worth the watch and you'll likely get addicted.
That's a legit warning. Don't start watching if you don't have hours to invest, because you will find yourself bogged down in it sooner than you realize. I'm not sure where the dude is, but it looks a bit like southern Appalachia.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 13 July 2018, 16:30

In the "About" section of the Channel the guys says he is located in "Far North Queensland Australia"
Old 13 July 2018, 16:50
Shakin' the bush Boss

I do some of this stuff, but more like sportsman oriented. Trapping, tanning fur, that kind of stuff.
Old 13 July 2018, 16:54
In Vino Veritas

Lightbulb

We live in the most advance time ever known and you guys want to live with ticks and make condoms out of sheep intestine, for fun? Knock yourselves out. Iíll be drinking wine while I eat something thatís truffle infused.
Old 13 July 2018, 18:01
Been There Done That

There is a show on Discovery called "Off the Grid"and tracks people in 4 different settings-

one guy lives in the Okeefenokee Swamp

a couple that lives in a 'treehouse'

a guy that lives in caves in Arkansas

and the last guy lives like a mountain man- although in one episode he hits one of his caches and has peas and corn from cans for supper.

Another is "The Legend of Mick Dodge"- a guy in the PNWwho lives off the land exclusively...
Old 13 July 2018, 18:04
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
There is a show on Discovery called "Off the Grid"and tracks people in 4 different settings-

one guy lives in the Okeefenokee Swamp

a couple that lives in a 'treehouse'

a guy that lives in caves in Arkansas

and the last guy lives like a mountain man- although in one episode he hits one of his caches and has peas and corn from cans for supper.

Another is "The Legend of Mick Dodge"- a guy in the PNWwho lives off the land exclusively...
I enjoy watching this series. I never heard of Mick Dodge until watching that show. Afterwards, I did some digging on him through the Internet...he is an interesting dude, to say the least.
Old 13 July 2018, 18:06
Did...did I do that?

I saw one of their videos (maybe one of theirs - site looked very similar) on Facebook yesterday. It was sped up, and showed them digging the well, making the firepit for bricks, lining the well, then making a filter/cistern for the well. Amazing to watch.
Old 13 July 2018, 21:59
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
We live in the most advance time ever known and you guys want to live with ticks and make condoms out of sheep intestine, for fun? Knock yourselves out. Iíll be drinking wine while I eat something thatís truffle infused.
With your hat on no less!
Old 13 July 2018, 22:09
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
I just set up fermentation on some hard cider today. Never been a fan of traditional wine, but I started making apple wine (and apple brandy) when I was a kid. Tasty stuff. Condoms? Who needs 'em?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
There is a channel on YouTube called "primitive technology" that is full of some guy making things literally out of dirt, mud, and sticks --- and crafting amazingly functional items and materials. It's well worth the watch and you'll likely get addicted.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL...Sm8AlZyD3nQdBA
I've been hooked on this one for a while. Really cool techniques. Dude knows some shit, for real.

While true:
Continue
Old 13 July 2018, 22:11
Been There Done That

I have gotten into it a little bit since I moved back to the family land. I grew up watching my grandfather and learned a lot from him. Never really realized what he was teaching me until my wife and daughter started doing reenactments. I would help the guys in the Indian village and they started asking where I learned the stuff from and I told them my Grandparents. I just thought my grandfather was just real tight with his money, never realized I was getting a life lesson. I tried teaching my kids but they never got into it till they hit their late teens. They called me cheap.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 13 July 2018, 23:29
The Sagacious One

I have just started building water catchment systems. I am using plastic and PVC though. The whole concept is interesting, however.
Old 14 July 2018, 08:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Ab-Damn-So-Lutely....
Old 14 July 2018, 08:33
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Ab-Damn-So-Lutely....
You lived in those times Mr.Judah.
Old 14 July 2018, 08:41
Shakin' the bush Boss

Mingo was hell on wheels before electricity.

Our new posting rules