SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 14 February 2017, 09:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I guess that makes sense, but it would also make sense that a bead flopping around on a lanyard might get in the way more than anything else. Just a preference then. Thanks man.

insert anal bead joke (see what I did there?)
Nerd
Old 18 February 2017, 21:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I guess that makes sense, but it would also make sense that a bead flopping around on a lanyard might get in the way more than anything else. Just a preference then. Thanks man.

insert anal bead joke (see what I did there?)
I know some guys are doing it on fixed blades for retention reasons, they tuck the ball into their belt so if the knife snags on something, like thick brush, and gets pulled out of the sheath it's an extra thing keeping you from losing the blade. I would imagine some guys have the same idea with folders, and more people are probably doing it because they think it looks cool.
Old 21 February 2017, 10:39
Confirmed User

Bad Karma,
What is the purpose of the curved belly in the disruptor? Is it supposed to cut better? Is it harder to sharpen?
Old 21 February 2017, 17:41
Grinder Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
Bad Karma,
What is the purpose of the curved belly in the disruptor? Is it supposed to cut better? Is it harder to sharpen?
The Disruptor was designed for a local martial arts group that wanted to combine as many features as possible into a concealable fighter.

The first thing they wanted was a knife that worked well in edge up or traditional grip. It doesn't look like it but its extremely comfortable and locks into the hand in edge up grip allowing about 1/8 of an inch of the handle to protrude for strikes with the pommel.
They wanted it to be single edged so it was legal to carry most places. They also wanted good penetration on thrusts so it has a modified spear tip with an un-sharpened swedge on the spine. The curved belly added weight to chops when held in a forward grip but the primary purpose was to enable it to be pulled through on a draw cut to do as much damage as possible when the knife is held edge up.

It does make sharpening a little more challenging. I usually recommend getting a Ken Onion worksharp with blade grinding attachment, all your knives will be sharper once you learn to use it.

Last edited by BadKarma; 21 February 2017 at 17:52.
Old 21 February 2017, 18:48
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post
...I usually recommend getting a Ken Onion worksharp with blade grinding attachment, all your knives will be sharper once you learn to use it.
Now you fucking tell me... :D

Like this:

http://www.worksharptools.com/ken-onion-edition-knife-and-tool-sharpener.html?source=adwords&gclid=CJzBoMahotICFZ aIswoduvoDZQ

I love my Vespid, but it now needs to be a little sharper.

Thanks,

A
Old 21 February 2017, 19:04
Grinder Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Now you fucking tell me... :D

Like this:

http://www.worksharptools.com/ken-on...FZaIswoduvoDZQ

I love my Vespid, but it now needs to be a little sharper.

Thanks,

A
Yes that is the basic model and its pretty good but for the absolute best sharpening experience and the most options add the blade grinding attachment. The basic model had some guides and is pretty good (it also does scissors), but the attachment makes it easy to learn to freehand sharpen just about anything.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...9334_200629334

After you play with getting the usual array of inexpensive knives in the kitchen sharp you'll be ready to sharpen your customs with confidence. It also puts a Moran edge (convex) on the knife due to the slightly slack belt you can set up with it.

Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQv_tVLVSMo
Old 21 February 2017, 19:07
The atomic zit

Perfect. NT sends me coupons all the time and there is one close enough to go see one and talk to a person, in person. I am like that.
Old 21 February 2017, 20:50
Been There Done That

Plus two on the Ken Onion Worksharp. Get extra belts when you order it.
Old 21 February 2017, 22:42
The atomic zit

Is this a reasonable description of blade types and their sharpening?

https://www.ragweedforge.com/grind.html
Old 21 February 2017, 23:05
Grinder Monkey

Quote:

Looks pretty good, here is a pretty good set of drawings that illustrate grinds and shapes I often refer people to.

https://imgur.com/gallery/nTXcD
Old 22 February 2017, 03:06
Confirmed User

Quote:

I've been to the ABS schools and that's not how the Moran Edge was explained. The apple seed grind in just a convex grind on a slack belt so it grinds at the spine and edge more. The Moran Edge was a combination of flat grind with a convexed edge giving you the best general purpose edge that could take a lot of abuse and give you the attractive flat grind for embellishing. Only the edge was different thus the Moran Edge not grind.

It seems each new generation going through the schools feels the need to re-name everything.
Old 22 February 2017, 06:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post
The Disruptor was designed for a local martial arts group that wanted to combine as many features as possible into a concealable fighter.

The first thing they wanted was a knife that worked well in edge up or traditional grip. It doesn't look like it but its extremely comfortable and locks into the hand in edge up grip allowing about 1/8 of an inch of the handle to protrude for strikes with the pommel.
They wanted it to be single edged so it was legal to carry most places. They also wanted good penetration on thrusts so it has a modified spear tip with an un-sharpened swedge on the spine. The curved belly added weight to chops when held in a forward grip but the primary purpose was to enable it to be pulled through on a draw cut to do as much damage as possible when the knife is held edge up.

It does make sharpening a little more challenging. I usually recommend getting a Ken Onion worksharp with blade grinding attachment, all your knives will be sharper once you learn to use it.

Can you do that handle with a more straight false edge spear point blade?
Old 22 February 2017, 16:27
Grinder Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
Can you do that handle with a more straight false edge spear point blade?
One of the projects I've been experimenting with is a variant that has less belly and more emphasis on point oriented applications. If I get the alignments right it should work, so far I haven't been happy with it but I am working on it.
Old 22 February 2017, 16:34
Darwin Award Presenter

I always thought that a long lanyard with or without bead, was an opportunity for someone to grab your blade from behind. What are your thoughts. I mean, as far as I know every male knows what a pocket clip represents, why advertise further?
Old 22 February 2017, 17:11
Grinder Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Medic View Post
I always thought that a long lanyard with or without bead, was an opportunity for someone to grab your blade from behind. What are your thoughts. I mean, as far as I know every male knows what a pocket clip represents, why advertise further?
I feel the same way, no lanyards or beads on my knives. I've used a lanyard working around water but that's the only time I use them.
Old 3 March 2017, 19:57
Confirmed User

Lucked out and managed to get a James Watson Kidon last week, his blades are relatively inexpensive for the quality, but he does such limited runs that they are hard to come by.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0347.jpg (26.2 KB, 184 views)
Old 3 March 2017, 20:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Medic View Post
I don't carry folders very much and don't use any lanyards on them, but unless someone is trying to show off the lanyard should be tucked on their pocket or underneath their belt so it shouldn't give anyone the opportunity to grab it.... edited to add, I never used lanyards at all unless I was diving and cutting rope out of propellers until I heard Tracker Dan talk about them and it changed my thoughts on how to use them and how useful they can be as a secondary retention device while trudging though the woods.
Old 4 April 2017, 11:22

A knife and sheath I made for myself, it is from O2 tool steel hardened and tempered to 52 Rockwell.
Old 6 April 2017, 15:53
Been There Done That

Nice. What is the handle material?
Old 6 April 2017, 16:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF0311 View Post
Lucked out and managed to get a James Watson Kidon last week, his blades are relatively inexpensive for the quality, but he does such limited runs that they are hard to come by.
Did you know that "kidon" means bayonet in Hebrew? It's also "supposedly" the name of the Israeli intelligence organizations problem reducing department . :)

Our new posting rules