SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #701  
Old 31 July 2017, 14:56
leopardprey's Avatar
leopardprey leopardprey is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 11,968
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritatem Cognoscere View Post
New one from Half Face Blades
Now that is a nice knife! Good shape of the handle and the blade.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #702  
Old 1 August 2017, 18:16
GPC's Avatar
GPC GPC is offline
Bitter old man.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LOFD
Posts: 6,163
VC, does your knife have rockwork?
__________________
Steel Rain Brings The Pain!
Reply With Quote
  #703  
Old 2 August 2017, 11:23
Veritatem Cognoscere's Avatar
Veritatem Cognoscere Veritatem Cognoscere is offline
A Texan in exile
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 449
Yup, rock work along the spine. Custom inlays on both sides (different ones). Left the choice of handle up to Andy.
__________________
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counteraccusations.
Reply With Quote
  #704  
Old 2 August 2017, 15:59
GPC's Avatar
GPC GPC is offline
Bitter old man.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LOFD
Posts: 6,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritatem Cognoscere View Post
Yup, rock work along the spine. Custom inlays on both sides (different ones). Left the choice of handle up to Andy.
Sweet have to come down to test it.
__________________
Steel Rain Brings The Pain!
Reply With Quote
  #705  
Old 4 August 2017, 12:50
Expatmedic's Avatar
Expatmedic Expatmedic is offline
Anesthetized User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,500
Randall

Model #16 SP-1 Fighter. 7" blade full tang.

Didn't have one, and I did not want to pay crazy markup prices. Ordered the same knife in the pic. except with green Micarta and single finger groove.

Put, $50 down to order and freeze the price. $430, and 5.5 years till done. Should be ready 12/15/2022.

It'll go in the camping box.

http://www.randallknives.com/knives/...6-sp1-fighter/
__________________
Pour me another one Iím finished with the other one, Iím drinking my baby goodbye-Charlie Daniels

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)

Last edited by Expatmedic; 4 August 2017 at 12:57.
Reply With Quote
  #706  
Old 5 August 2017, 00:06
X-rgr's Avatar
X-rgr X-rgr is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The lap of luxury , WY, USA
Posts: 608
I used to do business with the owner of a well known police-equipment company. We were having lunch one day, talking about how come he couldn't deliver, and was always back-ordered for insane amounts of time. This was in the early 90's.

By way of an answer, he told me this story: "I was at a trade show, and R***** Knives was exhibiting. Old man R****** was in the booth. I went to him, and complained that he was always back-ordered and the lead times were obscene. I was young and had just started manufacturing my own products, and was all about efficiency and on-time delivery. I volunteered to help him streamline his processes, so he could reduce his legendary leadtimes. In order to do that, I asked him 'what's your manufacturing capacity?' He winked at me, and said 'Son... my capacity is always just a little bit less than we need it to be.'"

Apparently, being backordered all the time gave the impression that his products were more in demand than they actually were-- which (perversely) drove people to jump in and place orders for future delivery... before things got so bad they'd never be able to own a R*****. That was a built-in portion of the company's marketing... at least according to the guy telling me the story, which (he was intimating) he worked it in to his company's marketing.

I'd like to own a R***** knife (or eight), but no knife on earth is worth a deposit, a monthly ration, and a multi-year leadtime to me. I wish them luck, and respect their spot in the market, but the business-aspect of the transaction makes the product less attractive to me.
__________________
"Chuck Norris? Never heard of her." -- John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #707  
Old 5 August 2017, 02:06
BadKarma BadKarma is offline
Grinder Monkey
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Molina Colorado
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rgr View Post

I'd like to own a R***** knife (or eight), but no knife on earth is worth a deposit, a monthly ration, and a multi-year leadtime to me. I wish them luck, and respect their spot in the market, but the business-aspect of the transaction makes the product less attractive to me.

My books got to a year once, I closed them and decided that took ALL the fun out of making the knives. It sucks to have people waiting, I feel guilty anytime I make a project knife or god forbid take day off. Now I make what I want and only take orders in the rarest circumstances in which case wait times run about 3 to 4 months.

Its pretty common for people to run multi year long books (I know a few makers who average 10 year waits) because they long ago spent the money to make the customers knives that were already paid for. They need new orders to make the knives already on the books. This is how so many knifemakers get in over their heads... Randall is probably fine LOL, no fear of them going out of style.
Reply With Quote
  #708  
Old 5 August 2017, 06:00
leopardprey's Avatar
leopardprey leopardprey is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 11,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rgr View Post
I used to do business with the owner of a well known police-equipment company. We were having lunch one day, talking about how come he couldn't deliver, and was always back-ordered for insane amounts of time. This was in the early 90's.

By way of an answer, he told me this story: "I was at a trade show, and R***** Knives was exhibiting. Old man R****** was in the booth. I went to him, and complained that he was always back-ordered and the lead times were obscene. I was young and had just started manufacturing my own products, and was all about efficiency and on-time delivery. I volunteered to help him streamline his processes, so he could reduce his legendary leadtimes. In order to do that, I asked him 'what's your manufacturing capacity?' He winked at me, and said 'Son... my capacity is always just a little bit less than we need it to be.'"

Apparently, being backordered all the time gave the impression that his products were more in demand than they actually were-- which (perversely) drove people to jump in and place orders for future delivery... before things got so bad they'd never be able to own a R*****. That was a built-in portion of the company's marketing... at least according to the guy telling me the story, which (he was intimating) he worked it in to his company's marketing.

I'd like to own a R***** knife (or eight), but no knife on earth is worth a deposit, a monthly ration, and a multi-year leadtime to me. I wish them luck, and respect their spot in the market, but the business-aspect of the transaction makes the product less attractive to me.

If you are in the military, overseas with an APO address, you will get a Randall within a month or so. You go to the top of the list. I was overseas, called Randall, and had a new model, with the modifications I wanted in two weeks!

Also, there are several Randall dealers that keep many in stock, usually about a $100 mark up from Randall's MSRP. Or some like Nordic Knives have around only several months waiting time. Even with the mark up, Randalls are a great value. Hand forged still.

I currently own a Model #16 SF and a Model #1, that I have carried and used throughout the the years.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #709  
Old 5 August 2017, 06:28
knifemaker knifemaker is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post
My books got to a year once, I closed them and decided that took ALL the fun out of making the knives. It sucks to have people waiting, I feel guilty anytime I make a project knife or god forbid take day off. Now I make what I want and only take orders in the rarest circumstances in which case wait times run about 3 to 4 months.

Its pretty common for people to run multi year long books (I know a few makers who average 10 year waits) because they long ago spent the money to make the customers knives that were already paid for. They need new orders to make the knives already on the books. This is how so many knifemakers get in over their heads... Randall is probably fine LOL, no fear of them going out of style.
If you ever take an ABS course they briefly talk about this during a business segment and let you know it's a good way to go out of business and piss everyone off. If you do this the money is supposed to go in an escrow account and you don't get it till the knife is complete.

Jerry Fisk wrote a pamphlet about the business for knifemakers that talks about backlog and taking other peoples money before you build the knife.
Reply With Quote
  #710  
Old 6 August 2017, 22:32
BadKarma BadKarma is offline
Grinder Monkey
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Molina Colorado
Posts: 497
Another Voodoo Resins scale set on one our Pups. These scales actually glow in the dark!

Reply With Quote
  #711  
Old 21 August 2017, 18:46
BadKarma BadKarma is offline
Grinder Monkey
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Molina Colorado
Posts: 497
WIP shots of a Damascus full tang Searles Bowie variant I'm working on for a SOCNET member. Black linen micarta scales with Red g10 liners. 12 3/4" overall.



Reply With Quote
  #712  
Old 21 August 2017, 18:57
Agoge's Avatar
Agoge Agoge is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 7,258
Beautiful work, as usual!
Reply With Quote
  #713  
Old 21 August 2017, 19:39
AZ5326's Avatar
AZ5326 AZ5326 is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,761
Whoa, that's nice!
Reply With Quote
  #714  
Old 21 August 2017, 20:22
Chimo's Avatar
Chimo Chimo is offline
FIDO
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 3,141
Wow. That's beautiful!
__________________
Quote:
I'd shoot a chipmunk if it kicked my door in wearing a ski mask.
Reply With Quote
  #715  
Old 25 August 2017, 10:39
Expatmedic's Avatar
Expatmedic Expatmedic is offline
Anesthetized User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,500
Gerber

Steadfast. Sharp to begin with, easy to sharpen, well balanced, very comfortable. Just a GP camp knife. On sale at Cabelas for 35 bucks. Sheath sucks.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Knives/Fix...Knife_22-41120

.50 Cal for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0307.JPG (99.9 KB, 301 views)
__________________
Pour me another one Iím finished with the other one, Iím drinking my baby goodbye-Charlie Daniels

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Reply With Quote
  #716  
Old 25 August 2017, 17:23
foxcolt13 foxcolt13 is offline
Moving Target
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,919
nice
__________________
Lost one to lost three......are you lost too.
Reply With Quote
  #717  
Old 7 November 2017, 18:21
maim maim is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 609
For the WW II and SOE/OSS inclined here are a couple of sites, 1 historical and 1 repro, I found it v interesting.
http://www.fairbairnsykesfightingkni...ggers-etc.html
http://www.macdonaldarms.com/armoury/forsale.php
__________________
"I believe that a knife should be bright and highly polished for the reason that 20% of the fight is lost by not striking awe in the mind of the victim that a flashing knife gives."
William Fairbairn
Reply With Quote
  #718  
Old 9 November 2017, 21:24
NoChai NoChai is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 225
Any of you SOCnet knifemakers able to make a damascus steel (love the looks of it) general purpose kitchen knife with a nice handle for my wife before Christmas?

When asked what kind of handle she would like on a kitchen knife I got " Something comfortable, but not wood, I want it to look clean".

Sorry for the last minute request and crappy details but hoping one of you might have the time and vision to assist. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #719  
Old 10 November 2017, 12:34
BadKarma BadKarma is offline
Grinder Monkey
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Molina Colorado
Posts: 497
PM sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
Any of you SOCnet knifemakers able to make a damascus steel (love the looks of it) general purpose kitchen knife with a nice handle for my wife before Christmas?

When asked what kind of handle she would like on a kitchen knife I got " Something comfortable, but not wood, I want it to look clean".

Sorry for the last minute request and crappy details but hoping one of you might have the time and vision to assist. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #720  
Old 24 November 2017, 19:18
BadKarma BadKarma is offline
Grinder Monkey
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Molina Colorado
Posts: 497


Just finished this Wraith with Voodoo Resins Caged Sunflower scales. I've got one more in progress and then I'm out of Voodoo until after Christmas.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 20:04.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018