SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Navy SEALs

Old 18 June 2013, 09:51
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockville View Post
http://www.defense.gov/releases/rele...eleaseid=15931
Rear Adm. (lower half) Brian L. Losey, who has been selected for the rank of rear admiral, will be assigned as commander, Naval Special Warfare Command, San Diego, Calif. Losey is currently serving as commander, Special Operations Command, U.S. Africa Command, Stuttgart, Germany.

How often does this happen? The new NSWC commander and the NSWC deputy commander who both graduated from the USAFA??
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/navybio.asp?bioID=532
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/navybio.asp?bioID=671
Can't speak to the flag grade officers, but there are actually several USAFA grads that went on to be SEALs. Two that I can think of are Nick (?) Walsh, a Vietnam-era SEAL, and Job Price, ST-4 skipper (USAFA class of '93). Great guy who I am sure is sorely missed.
Old 18 June 2013, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockville View Post
Navy Rear Adm. Sean A. Pybus for appointment to the rank of vice admiral and for assignment as commander, North Atlantic Treaty Organization Special Operations Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium. Pybus is currently serving as commander, Naval Special Warfare Command, San Diego, Calif.
Don't come by here much. VADM Pybus was my CO at Unit 2. Glad to see he's been promoted. I'm guessing Patty is glad to be going back to Europe.
Old 18 June 2013, 14:10
Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by specat93 View Post
Can't speak to the flag grade officers, but there are actually several USAFA grads that went on to be SEALs. Two that I can think of are Nick (?) Walsh, a Vietnam-era SEAL, and Job Price, ST-4 skipper (USAFA class of '93). Great guy who I am sure is sorely missed.
I know another USAFA grad who is a Team guy, went through BUD/S with a USMA grad and went to freefall school with a USNA grad who was finishing up the CRO pipeline. Its not uncommon.
Old 21 June 2013, 15:26
Authorized Personnel

RDML Losey is now the Commander, NSW.

Congrats, sir.
Old 31 July 2013, 03:07

Congratulations! Seems like yesterday we were out at san clemante island arguing about whether he was going to be the honor grad of our BUD/S class.
Old 31 July 2013, 08:07
EOD Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
We have another new one now -Tim Szymanski
Just saw this. He was the CO at Team 2 when I was attached to them. He was an outstanding CO from what I saw.
Old 14 October 2013, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
Kind of old news guys. Brian is getting his second star. We have another new one now -Tim Szymanski
I met him last week in Oslo (Norway)
He was spoken to as Admiral but was still wearing the captain/colonel insignia
Old 1 April 2014, 16:46
Confirmed User

http://www.defense.gov/releases/rele...eleaseid=16616

Navy Capt. Collin P. Green, nominated for appointment to the rank of rear admiral (lower half). Green is currently serving as staff operations and planning officer, Naval Special Warfare Command, Coronado, Calif.

Navy Vice Adm. Sean A. Pybus, for reappointment to the rank of vice admiral and for assignment as deputy commander, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla. Pybus is currently serving as commander, North Atlantic Treaty Organization Special Operations Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium.
Old 17 April 2014, 14:59
Been There Done That

Captain Brian Hendrickson, USNR Nominated for Rear Admiral

On 15 April, DoD released the list of Flag Officer Announcements that included new 1-star Navy Reserve nominations. Captain Hendrickson serves as the Commanding Officer of Navy Reserve U.S. Special Operations Command, Detachment 108, MacDill AFB, Florida and is a member of USNA Class of 1987.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 17 April 2014, 17:24
Been There Done That

Congrats.

MARSOC this is how you do it, build that Officer Corps......somehow.
Old 17 April 2014, 23:33
Been There Done That

Wow! Really! The first true SEAL Admiral was "Irish Flynn" and he was selected in the mid '80's. NSW traces their birth to around 1942. And MARSOC is how old?
Old 5 August 2015, 11:22
Confirmed User

http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=17426&source=GovDelivery

Rear Adm. (lower half) Daniel B. Hendrickson is assigned as military deputy, Defense Innovation Unit Experimental, Mountain View, California. Hendrickson was serving as vice commander, U.S. Special Operations Command, U.S. Forces - Afghanistan, Joint Staff, Washington, District of Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
Captain Brian Hendrickson, USNR Nominated for Rear Admiral

On 15 April, DoD released the list of Flag Officer Announcements that included new 1-star Navy Reserve nominations. Captain Hendrickson serves as the Commanding Officer of Navy Reserve U.S. Special Operations Command, Detachment 108, MacDill AFB, Florida and is a member of USNA Class of 1987.
Old 5 July 2018, 18:14
Confirmed User

I saw Adm. Maguire name on another thread. Couldn't find that one. So now he is the highest retired SEAL as a political appointee?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...tion-posts-49/

Joseph Maguire of Florida, to be Director of the National Counterterrorism Center, Office of the Director of National Intelligence.

Mr. Joseph Maguire has served as President and Chief Executive Officer of the Special Operations Warrior Foundation since September 2013, after serving three years on the Foundation’s Board of Directors. As a career Naval Special Warfare Officer, he retired from the United States Navy in 2010 as a Vice Admiral after thirty-six years in uniform. He commanded at every level in the Naval Special Warfare Command, which is the Navy Component of United States Special Operations Command. His last assignment in Government was as the National Counterterrorism Center’s Deputy Director for Strategic Operational Planning, during which he served as a member of the National Security Council’s Counterterrorism Security Group. A native of New York City, Mr. Maguire was awarded a B.S. from Manhattan College and a MSTI from the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California. He also was a National Security Fellow at Harvard University. He and his wife Kathy currently reside in Tampa, Florida.
Old 5 July 2018, 18:42
Been There Done That

I'm not so sure about that. My XO at SBU12 became a DDCIA. Not sure if that was a direct political appointment or not. Bert was the best manager I ever had in the Navy and still ranks as one of my best ever after 20+ years in civilian life. He opened his door to me and asked me what I needed to get my job done. He followed through. Rare, so I guess I'll always be a fanboi.

From Wikipedia:
Calland graduated from the United States Naval Academy with a Bachelor of Science degree in 1974 and subsequently graduated from Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL Training (BUD/S) class 82 in 1975. Calland served as a Platoon Commander of a SEAL Delivery Vehicle (SDV) platoon and a SEAL Platoon, Instructor BUD/S Training and Naval Special Warfare/Explosive Ordnance Disposal Officer. In Fall 1980, Calland was selected by CDR Richard Marcinko as a founding member of SEAL Team SIX and served till 1982. Calland was executive Officer of Special Boat Unit 12 in 1987 and deployed as part of Operation Earnest Will in the Persian Gulf. Calland took command of SEAL Team ONE from November 1992 until January 1995. He later went on to receive a Master of Science degree in national resource strategy from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in 1996. From June 1997 until June 1999, Calland commanded the Naval Special Warfare Development Group.[1] Calland was the commanding officer of Special Operations Command Central (SOCCENT), part of United States Central Command, and as such, commanded efforts in Afghanistan in 2001 during Operation Enduring Freedom.[2] Between August 2002 and March 2004, Calland served as the commanding officer of the Naval Special Warfare Command. Calland's career at the Central Intelligence Agency began with his appointment to the position of Associate Director of Central Intelligence for Military Support in March 2004, a position he filled until his appointment as Deputy Director. Calland resigned from that position upon the confirmation of CIA Director General Michael Hayden, as a 1953 amendment to the National Security Act of 1947 prevents the Director and Deputy Director from serving in the military simultaneously.

After leaving the CIA, Calland served for a year as Deputy Director for Strategic Operational Planning at the National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC). He retired from the Navy on July 1, 2007 after 33 years of service becoming Executive Vice President for Security and Intelligence Integration with CACI International Inc.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_M._Calland_III

Either way, both are very accomplished men.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 6 July 2018, 09:42
Administrator

[QUOTE=Rockville;1058734986]I saw Adm. Maguire name on another thread. Couldn't find that one. So now he is the highest retired SEAL as a political appointee?

I think Ryan Zinke holds that title.
Old 25 July 2018, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
He retired from the Navy on July 1, 2007 after 33 years of service becoming Executive Vice President for Security and Intelligence Integration with CACI International Inc.[3]
Bert is a rock solid kind of guy. He recently retired from CACI, will be missed.

Our new posting rules