Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 23 May 2017, 12:19

US Border Patrol Direct Hiring and Veteran Hiring Opportunities

*Sharky Approved*

United States Border Patrol Direct Hiring and Veteran Hiring information as follows, boiled down for your viewing pleasure.

Current Direct Hire Announcements:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/468664700

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/468891300

Non-official informational site run by USBP agents – not by recruiters:

http://www.honorfirst.com/

Official links to USBP Veteran Hiring information:

https://www.cbp.gov/careers/veterans

https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working...aths/veterans/

https://www.dhs.gov/homeland-securit...federal-resume

And for those of you who think the border area is all unicorns and rainbows...
(WARNING this website contains graphic images.)

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/
Old 10 June 2017, 08:12

VETERAN’S OPEN HOUSE HIRING EVENT!
NOW HIRING BORDER PATROL AGENTS
APPLY ON SITE
Question and Answer Session with On-site Recruiters
Competitive Pay, Paid Time Off, Career Progression, Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Generous Retirement
Starting Salary $52,583
4th Year Salary $97,486
Date: Saturday June 17, 2017
Stop in anytime between (9:00am – 3:00pm)
Del Rio Sector Border Patrol Headquarters
2401 Dodson Ave.
Del Rio, Texas
Basic Eligibility
 Veteran Preference Eligible
 Have a valid driver's license
 Have resided in the U.S. for at least 3 of the last 5 years (military exception)
 Be eligible to carry a firearm
 Referred for selection prior to your 40th birthday (waiver for veterans' preference eligible or those that have previously served in a federal civilian law enforcement position)
 Credit for Military Service
 VA benefits for approved on- the- job training programs
For more information call (830) 778-7163
For Veteran’s Preference Visit www.cbp.gov/careers/veterans
Old 16 June 2017, 08:19

Know a former CBP Officer or Border Patrol Agent who’s left the organization? Tell them CBP is Hiring, share the following information with them, and let them know….. it’s Time to Come Home!

There are just 5 easy steps to coming back to CBP:

Step 1: Applicants should submit a memo and resume addressed to the Chief Patrol Agent (CPA) or Director of Field Operations (DFO) in the location where he or she would like to work. If the applicant needs help finding the CPA or DFO contact information, they can contact a local USBP or OFO recruiter or the Office of Human Resources Management’s (HRM) National Frontline
Recruitment Command.

Step 2: If the sector or field office has vacancies and selects the applicant, they’ll forward the applicant’s resume to HRM’s Hiring Center for processing.

Step 3: The Hiring Center will conduct a review of the applicant’s qualifications and if the applicant is qualified, the Hiring Center will send the applicant a
tentative offer of employment.

Step 4: The Hiring Center will then initiate pre-employment requirements (background investigation, polygraph, medical, and drug test.) Individuals with a prior polygraph may be granted reciprocity. Individuals who need to attend the Border Patrol Academy will also need to take a Fitness Test.

Step 5: Applicants receive a final offer of employment. Welcome Home!

Q1. Is there a waiver for someone who has already taken the polygraph?

A1: CBP’s Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) may apply waivers/reciprocity in the following circumstances:
• Applicant has an active TS-SCI clearance and is working with these materials as a regular part of their duties.

 OPR-Personnel Security Division to verify clearance.

• Applicant has passed a full scope federally administered polygraph exam within the last two years that meets guidelines of the National Center for Credibility Assessment, to include a quality control review.

 OPR- Credibility Assessment Division (CAD) must be able to verify the exam was similar in nature to that required by CBP.

• Applicant has passed a full scope federally administered polygraph exam within the last five years that meets all guidelines set by the National Center for Credibility Assessment, to include a quality control review, and (1) the applicant was hired for the position for which they were polygraphed, (2) the applicant is currently working in the position for which they were polygraphed, and (3) the applicant has been continuously employed by the agency for which the polygraph was administered.

 CAD must be able to verify the exam was similar in nature to that required by CBP.

Q2: Is the person hired back at their same grade (assuming the sector or field office has the vacancy)?

A2: This is dependent on a few factors, including what position they held after they left CBP. They will likely be hired at a position of equal grade (or higher) than the position they left at CBP. It is possible that the position(s) they held since leaving CBP may qualify them for a higher grade then their former CBP position. For instance, if someone left a GL-7 Border Patrol Agent (BPA) position and that person is now a GS-12 Law Enforcement Officer with another agency, they may now qualify at a higher grade level based on the experience they have gained and articulated in their resume. Additionally, if they left the CBP position when the Full Performance Level (FPL) of the position was GS-11, they are only eligible to be reassigned back to the CBP position if they have competed for and received a position with a FPL of GS-12 (in order to match the current FPL of the BPA and CBPO position).

Q3: Is there a time limit — if someone has been gone 7 years, do they have more steps?

A3: Yes, the timeframe can make a difference. All former BPAs reinstated will be required to attend the Border Patrol Academy Basic Training* unless one of the following conditions is met at time of entrance on duty:
• The former BPA or CBPO has been separated less than three years; or
• The former BPA has been separated more than three years but less than five, and is currently employed as a law enforcement officer with another federal law enforcement agency.

*Note: If the Academy is required, then a Fitness Test is also required.

Q4: Can I apply to multiple sectors or field offices?

A4: Yes, you may apply to multiple sectors, however once you’ve accepted a tentative selection offer, that will cancel out any other outstanding applications.

Q5: Should I still apply to the Job Opportunity Announcement (JOA), as well?

A5: You may also apply to the JOA, but it is not necessary.
For more information, please contact the Office of Human Resources Management’s Hiring Center via email:
cbphiring-applicantinquiry@cbp.dhs.gov or phone: 952-857-2932
Old 16 June 2017, 11:24
Been There Done That

My daughter has an interview with them in July. I am not sure if she really knows what she is getting into.
Old 16 June 2017, 11:59

I would be glad to put her in touch with a competent non-recruiter agent if she has any questions.
Old 16 June 2017, 19:46
Been There Done That

Thank you.
I will let her know. Dad has to be careful not to tell her how she should proceed in the process.........
Old 10 July 2017, 16:11

DHS Webinar Schedule for Veterans

Spread the Word – DHS is Hiring Veterans!

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is committed to hiring veterans across the country in various fields. In fact, DHS is a leader in veterans employment across the federal government, employing more than 50,000 veterans.

As part of this commitment, DHS is seeking hundreds of qualified veterans to fill mission-critical positions in law enforcement, business operations, budget/finance/accounting, information technology, intelligence, and more.

Over the next several weeks, we will host webinars for veterans to provide information on DHS career opportunities, veterans appointing authorities, effective resume writing, veterans’ preference, and how to create a profile on USAJOBS and make resumes searchable. If you know of a veteran who is interested in a rewarding career with the Department, please encourage them to participate in one of the below webinars for more information.

Dates and Times (all times Eastern time)

Monday, July 10 at 8pm
Thursday, July 13 at 1pm
Monday, July 17 at 7pm
Thursday, July 20 at 10am
Monday, July 24 at 7pm
Thursday, July 27 at 10am

To join the webinar, go to https://dhsconnect.connectsolutions.com/ochco/ and call
888-390-1069, access code 8005734

It is recommended that you log in prior to the webinar to test your connection

Please share this information with friends and family.
To learn more, visit www.dhs.gov/recruitment.

For more information on career opportunities at DHS, please visit www.dhs.gov/careers.
Old 11 July 2017, 00:45
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

Does Direct Hire Announcement allow applicants who are over 40 years old? ..or is an age waiver just for prior federal or military service applicants?
Old 11 July 2017, 06:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCH View Post
Does Direct Hire Announcement allow applicants who are over 40 years old? ..or is an age waiver just for prior federal or military service applicants?
That particular announcement closed on July 7th.

You must have 20 years in a covered Federal LEO position in order to receive retirement benefits. Age 40 is the cutoff for a new hire with no Federal LEO experience with age 60 being the current mandatory retirement age.
Old 11 July 2017, 13:08
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

Thanks much
Old 8 August 2017, 05:53

Self deprecating Border Patrol humor - there is a lot of truth in this...

https://youtu.be/NnW5EjwtE2U

But even with the boredom and BS the Border Patrol is still an awesome job.
Old 10 August 2017, 18:03

I'm currently in the ring for BP. Not that bad of a process, just takes a long time. Like with every thing in the Government.
Old 11 August 2017, 06:57

DHS Veterans Recruitment and Hiring Event

DHS Veterans Recruitment and Hiring Event

Last month, we shared that the Department is seeking qualified veterans to continue their service to America and held a number of informational webinars. Due to the overwhelming response, the Department will host a Veterans Recruitment and Hiring Event to fill hundreds of positions in mission critical and mission support occupations across DHS, including careers in law enforcement, business operations, budget/finance/accounting, information technology, and intelligence.

When: August 22 and 23
8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Where: Omni Shoreham Hotel
2500 Calvert Street, NW
Washington, DC 20008

During the event, we will hold a variety of career workshops, veteran panels, and exhibits for veterans to learn more about the Department. Veterans will also have the opportunity to speak with hiring managers and recruiters and, if qualified, interview for open positions, so veterans should bring their resume and veteran documents. Note: attendees assume all travel and accommodation expenses.

Please spread the word about this opportunity for veterans with your family, friends, and professional networks. To learn more, visit www.dhs.gov/recruitment.

For more information on career opportunities at DHS, please visit www.dhs.gov/careers.

Please contact dhsveteranshiring@hq.dhs.gov with any questions.
Old 13 August 2017, 00:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoffma View Post
I'm currently in the ring for BP. Not that bad of a process, just takes a long time. Like with every thing in the Government.
Good Luck from a fellow member of the baby blue cord brotherhood.
Old 13 August 2017, 02:01
It is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoffma View Post
I've seen this all over the place on the internet. Do you think of this being something that you would recommend to someone with a small amount of law enforcement training background within the next few years or would it be better to aim somewhere else first?
Old 13 August 2017, 06:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletAim View Post
I've seen this all over the place on the internet. Do you think of this being something that you would recommend to someone with a small amount of law enforcement training background within the next few years or would it be better to aim somewhere else first?
I would recommend this job for anybody who loves hunting and the outdoors.

Where else can you hunt people for 100K per year with nothing but a GED and a little bit of life exprerience on your resume?

USBP is one of the only federal law enforcement agencies that does not require a high school diploma or prior law enforcement experience.

Now that agents make such good money (hasn't always been this way) there has been an influx of college grads with and computer weenies with no life experience. As a result, we have agents who have never been in a fight, never peed outside, and have never had a bug crawl on them...and you will rarely see these types leave 4G cell service...

That's why i post this info on SOCNET and armyparatrooper.org because i love this job and i want to see a higher caliber of agents in my job before i retire. I am not a recruiter.

I am nothing extra special; a cold war era Army veteran 11B1P with only a high school diploma. I have the honor of informally recruiting among the tier 1 and tier 2 paratrooper community and am honored to be allowed to spread the word, both in person and online, about what I believe to be the best job around.

That sounds like a bit of a rant, so I will close with this - are there crappy days in this job where you are stuck in the office? Yes. Do you get to work with and for educated idiots? Yes. But with over 25 years as a field agent, If I had to do it all over again, I would not change one thing.
Old 14 August 2017, 10:34

SombraBlanca, I'm glad to see a 25 year vet of USBP is here. I'm still waiting on my poly and SI. It's a pretty long process, but hopefully I can get this, unless DoS starts my background first lol.
Old 14 August 2017, 15:43
It is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SombraBlanca View Post

Where else can you hunt people for 100K per year with nothing but a GED and a little bit of life exprerience on your resume?

USBP is one of the only federal law enforcement agencies that does not require a high school diploma or prior law enforcement experience.

Now that agents make such good money (hasn't always been this way) there has been an influx of college grads with and computer weenies with no life experience. As a result, we have agents who have never been in a fight, never peed outside, and have never had a bug crawl on them...and you will rarely see these types leave 4G cell service...

That's why i post this info on SOCNET and armyparatrooper.org because i love this job and i want to see a higher caliber of agents in my job before i retire. I am not a recruiter.

I am nothing extra special; a cold war era Army veteran 11B1P with only a high school diploma. I have the honor of informally recruiting among the tier 1 and tier 2 paratrooper community and am honored to be allowed to spread the word, both in person and online, about what I believe to be the best job around.

That sounds like a bit of a rant, so I will close with this - are there crappy days in this job where you are stuck in the office? Yes. Do you get to work with and for educated idiots? Yes. But with over 25 years as a field agent, If I had to do it all over again, I would not change one thing.
This catches my interests. I'll look into this in the near future. Would you mind me PMing you with a few specific questions? It would greatly reduce the spam on this thread.
Old 14 August 2017, 19:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SombraBlanca View Post

Friend applying - he just had his interview. So curious as to what is the typical pipeline for training? FLETC then more training in El Paso?

Where does one usually get assigned after completing initial training?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 14 August 2017, 22:20
It is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Friend applying - he just had his interview. So curious as to what is the typical pipeline for training? FLETC then more training in El Paso?

Where does one usually get assigned after completing initial training?
Well it seems that I was beaten to the punch. I would also like to know of this as well as one more thing: with relocation, which for me would have to happen, do BP agents travel like the FBI, just along the borders? As in, do they stick put in Texas or do they have other places that they move around to and is this mandatory if so?

Our new posting rules