Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 25 July 2017, 21:46
Moving Target

Need help with Fibromyalgia meds

I was told that I have fibro but the truth is I have had this problem since I was in Desert Storm but anyways the med Venlafaxine SA is giving me some bad side effects even though it helps with the fatigue. I have been reading about Cymbalta and may ask my doctor for it. I have been having nervousness an irritability , and ED and chest pains. The ED alone is enough to stop taking it. I would like to find out what meds would be good for fatique and not cause ED .

Last edited by foxcolt13; 25 July 2017 at 21:53. Reason: typo, spelling
Old 26 July 2017, 00:58
Been There Done That

My wife has had FM AND CFS for 20 years. Has tried every kind of medication that can be prescribed as well as OTC, vitamins, et al. The only thing that has ever brought any relief was a combination of acupuncture and yoga. Just a thought.
Old 26 July 2017, 02:48
Orbi tertio spumae

I don't want to be preacher-guy and tell me to shut the fuck up if I become that guy but imo fibro is a term for when doctors don't know or couldn't be bothered to figure out your root causes of chronic inflammation.
I had fibro and a host of other issues. Realised I was becoming an invalid old crock and needed a major shake up. Changed my eating habits (and lots of movement, yogo, stretching, etc) and now I'm pain free. Changed lots of other health problems in the process. Started running again. Even my eyesight is improving.

Ketogenic diet with loads of green leafy vegetables, eaten on an intermittent fasting basis. And adjust daily vegetable choice based on what nutrients are needed as your various symptoms fluctuate. Even chucking a bit of kelp in the mix when needed.

The root of most of our ailments is in the gut. With chronic inflammation you can be sure your pancreas/gall bladder/liver/gut are sub-optimal and that's down to the food and pharmaceuticals we consume daily.

No bullshit. This stuff is reversible with a bit of willpower and keeping a wide berth of general practitioners, pharmacists. As for food technologists, they are the enemy. IMO.
Old 26 July 2017, 10:26
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

Good post Soutpiel..will fwd the advice/info to the wifey!

Thanks
DCH
Old 26 July 2017, 11:56
Moving Target

Thanks for that I needed to encouragement. I am already eating a healthy diet but I only eat mixed greens once in a while and salads about once a week. I would love to be able to run again but I have a bum knee so walking is about all I can do. I may try bike riding again, a few years ago I rode a bike but it hurt my knee too much so I quit. I have been taking Gundrys MD " Vital Reds" for a few months now and it has helped me lose a few pounds and Im now on " Nugenix" which I like alot also. The reason I got out of the Army was because of this. I went from a 300 on my PT test to failing because I was sick. I was in the middle of Desert Storm and was exposed to the Chemical weapons released from detonations from two different Iraqi ammo depots and I became sick right away. The VA treats me for Mental problems and say that it is all in my head. Im so sick of it. I tried to go to the War Related Illness Clinic in DC but my PC doctor will not refer me so I cant go even though the doctor at the Clinic is DC said I should have been there years ago.
I will continue to take my supplements and get started with some exercises. I will not give in to it. I will overcome this and have a good life. I have seen homeopathic doctors a few years ago and they gave me lots of stuff to take but it was expensive so I stopped. I think I will try the apple cider vinegar also, anyway thanks for the encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soutpiel View Post
I don't want to be preacher-guy and tell me to shut the fuck up if I become that guy but imo fibro is a term for when doctors don't know or couldn't be bothered to figure out your root causes of chronic inflammation.
I had fibro and a host of other issues. Realised I was becoming an invalid old crock and needed a major shake up. Changed my eating habits (and lots of movement, yogo, stretching, etc) and now I'm pain free. Changed lots of other health problems in the process. Started running again. Even my eyesight is improving.

Ketogenic diet with loads of green leafy vegetables, eaten on an intermittent fasting basis. And adjust daily vegetable choice based on what nutrients are needed as your various symptoms fluctuate. Even chucking a bit of kelp in the mix when needed.

The root of most of our ailments is in the gut. With chronic inflammation you can be sure your pancreas/gall bladder/liver/gut are sub-optimal and that's down to the food and pharmaceuticals we consume daily.

No bullshit. This stuff is reversible with a bit of willpower and keeping a wide berth of general practitioners, pharmacists. As for food technologists, they are the enemy. IMO.
Old 29 July 2017, 21:06
Moving Target

I quit the Fenlafaxine and now the little buddy is working just fine. Im not taking anymore meds from that doctor.
Old 29 July 2017, 23:57
Authorized Personnel

If you jabbering trotted it already, try having a pro shop do fitment & adjust on your bike. :) wormed wonders for me
Old 30 July 2017, 01:30
BTDT

Fight the VA with this to be seen. If you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia it is a presumptive illness for Gulf War Veterans. https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/medically-unexplained-illness dot asp
It sounds like you have been self-educating on this so keep it up. Big pharma is not the answer to this so take the supplements that have anti-inflammatory benefits to them and exercise. Also get your testosterone and estradiol levels checked. Having your hormone levels out of play can cause a lot of your symptoms too.
Old 31 July 2017, 11:26
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Med View Post
Fight the VA with this to be seen. If you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia it is a presumptive illness for Gulf War Veterans. https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/medically-unexplained-illness dot asp
It sounds like you have been self-educating on this so keep it up. Big pharma is not the answer to this so take the supplements that have anti-inflammatory benefits to them and exercise. Also get your testosterone and estradiol levels checked. Having your hormone levels out of play can cause a lot of your symptoms too.
thanks, yeah I already have been taking Nugenics and I recently decided to take Testosyn when I can afford it. I filed a claim for Gulf War Illness and waited four years to be told in writing that there is no such thing as Guf War Illness. I have a lawyer and have had a new claim in for Gulf War Syndrome. its been over three years since I filed that, My lawyer said it was pending what ever that means. I dont have any faith to believe I will win since I recently read that 82% of GWI claims have been denied. Im hoping to invest in bit coin but Im living off a 70% VA check so its hard to make it.

Last edited by foxcolt13; 31 July 2017 at 11:31.
Old 31 July 2017, 23:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soutpiel View Post

^^This. FM is a diagnosis a doc enters when s/he doesn't know what is the cause of your symptoms. It is used because it's a billable Dx which allows followup visits.
Old 7 August 2017, 17:27
Moving Target

Today my VA doc put me on Cymbalta. I will try it but if its anything like the venlafaxine I will be quitting it to, Im also takiing Nugenix and Gundry's Vital reds for energy.
Old 11 August 2017, 09:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
Today my VA doc put me on Cymbalta. I will try it but if its anything like the venlafaxine I will be quitting it to, Im also takiing Nugenix and Gundry's Vital reds for energy.

My wife suffers from this. Was diagnosed by a Rheumatologist in Nashville in 1997. I had to take her to Nashville because the docs at FT. Campbell told her there was nothing wrong her, that it was in her mind and that she was just seeking pain meds. The Rheumatologist put her on methotrexate therapy, Enbriel.

This therapy didn't last long. The strong chemicals in those drugs trashed her immune system. She's changed a lot. Has little interest in things she once liked. She can clean the house or exert herself somehow, then is down for 2 days.

We've had no luck in treatment.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 11 August 2017, 19:23
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
My wife suffers from this. Was diagnosed by a Rheumatologist in Nashville in 1997. I had to take her to Nashville because the docs at FT. Campbell told her there was nothing wrong her, that it was in her mind and that she was just seeking pain meds. The Rheumatologist put her on methotrexate therapy, Enbriel.

This therapy didn't last long. The strong chemicals in those drugs trashed her immune system. She's changed a lot. Has little interest in things she once liked. She can clean the house or exert herself somehow, then is down for 2 days.

We've had no luck in treatment.
Im the same way, if I get plenty of rest I can do some work but the next two or three days after Im wiped out. This is why I got out of the Army. I went from doing 100 push ups to not passing a PT Test after Desert Storm. It knocked me out of the coveted GREEN BERET that I wanted so much.
Old 12 August 2017, 20:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Are the docs easing you into the Cymbalta?

If you have any PTSD be cautious when you go off of it as a side affect of it can be suicidal tendencies.

And when you go off they need to ease off of it as well.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/cymbalta-side-effects.html
Old 12 August 2017, 21:30
Moving Target

I ask my doc to start me on a low dose of 30MG so it would be a shock to me. Thanks for the info I will remember that.

QUOTE=ricardo;1058665647]Are the docs easing you into the Cymbalta?

If you have any PTSD be cautious when you go off of it as a side affect of it can be suicidal tendencies.

And when you go off they need to ease off of it as well.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/cymbalta-side-effects.html[/QUOTE]
Old 13 August 2017, 16:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
I ask my doc to start me on a low dose of 30MG so it would be a shock to me. Thanks for the info I will remember that.
I lost a nephew because of it. Glad I could be of some assistance.
Old 18 August 2017, 15:10
Moving Target

Im feeling better now a days and I think its mainly to do with the Nugenix Im have been taking. I noticed that it has 50mcg of B12 , thats 833% of your daily dose, no wonder I feel better. I highly recommend it to guys 45 and over. The little mushroom man likes it too, lol.

Our new posting rules