SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 26 November 2017, 11:24
I reckon so. . .

I must've just squeaked thru the doorway. Amazon, now has the price back up to $64.99. . .

Reviewed there.

Crazy Book. Crazy Good! I looked up to take a 2nd-hit off my cigarette and have a sip of my coffee. . . WTF? Page 46.

I read and have read a F-ton of books in the genre. None. Not one has spoken like this. They have the words, they have the details, they are unable to do; whatever it is you did here.

Great work!
Old 26 November 2017, 11:34
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
I must've just squeaked thru the doorway. Amazon, now has the price back up to $64.99. . .

Reviewed there.

Crazy Book. Crazy Good! I looked up to take a 2nd-hit off my cigarette and have a sip of my coffee. . . WTF? Page 46.

I read and have read a F-ton of books in the genre. None. Not one has spoken like this. They have the words, they have the details, they are unable to do; whatever it is you did here.

Great work!
Wow. Thank you for that.

And thanks for the Amazon review. I will go look at it.

Yes, I saw that Amazon cranked the price back up to $64.99, and I am despondent over it.

Fortunately, iBooks and Kindle versions are still only $14.99.

I have no idea what Amazonís thing is. At all.
Old 26 November 2017, 11:39
Old Scroll

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post

Hell, you've got me at a disadvantage... I'm at work and can't look it up. What's got you amazed?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 26 November 2017, 11:52
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Hell, you've got me at a disadvantage... I'm at work and can't look it up. What's got you amazed?
Nothing specific. . . I was so f'n engrossed that the "first" time I looked up I was on page 46. I'm not used to being that focused/engrossed in anything. It was a welcome feeling.
Old 26 November 2017, 11:57
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
Wow. Thank you for that.

And thanks for the Amazon review. I will go look at it.

Yes, I saw that Amazon cranked the price back up to $64.99, and I am despondent over it.

Fortunately, iBooks and Kindle versions are still only $14.99.

I have no idea what Amazonís thing is. At all.
I just got a note from Amazon saying my review could not be published. I think it's because I chose to put your website URL in the footer of my review. I'll repost sans sensible addition.
Old 26 November 2017, 12:27
Old Scroll

You CAN put in the link to the Kindle version in your review.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 26 November 2017, 14:00
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
You CAN put in the link to the Kindle version in your review.
Good to know. It's weird. He has his URL in his profile, yet it's not allowed in a review of his book. I suspect it's a filtering script.

Resubmitted.
Old 26 November 2017, 14:08
Whatever Sucks the Most

No idea. Amazon and its Kindle apps all feel like Windows programs to me.

Litepath, thank you for that review. That was awesome!

https://www.amazon.com/Tale-Grenada-...ustomerReviews
Old 26 November 2017, 17:54

Started and finished in two very groggy into-the-AM sessions. I admire your decision to spin helix-like the visceral and factual; lesser or greater it's how many experience stress and crisis but few can relate well.

Thank you for putting it all down. Very much enjoyed it and looking forward to the rest. Hope sharing them helps push back the demons a bit, as well.
DaveP
Old 26 November 2017, 19:29
Been There Done That

Just finished reading the large paperback format. Thank you for preserving this history.

Interesting format, in basically bullet type comments. Made for quick and easy reading. Some good photos included as well of course. Many familiar names. Well done Ranger!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 26 November 2017, 21:37
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Started and finished in two very groggy into-the-AM sessions. I admire your decision to spin helix-like the visceral and factual; lesser or greater it's how many experience stress and crisis but few can relate well.

Thank you for putting it all down. Very much enjoyed it and looking forward to the rest. Hope sharing them helps push back the demons a bit, as well.
DaveP
Wow. Thank you for these kind comments. I am really pleased that you liked it!
Old 26 November 2017, 21:38
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Just finished reading the large paperback format. Thank you for preserving this history.

Interesting format, in basically bullet type comments. Made for quick and easy reading. Some good photos included as well of course. Many familiar names. Well done Ranger!
I wanted to grab readers then hold them. I wrote it very lean.

Rangers love photos! LOL!

Thank you for buying it and reading it!
Old 28 November 2017, 21:11
Preparing to defend

Hahaha, I am soooo happy that people are reading your writing, Steve. I try to promote it as much as I can. I hope the few pics I provided helped.

When I think of the fear I, and many others had, from our mission brief, I sometimes get overwhelmed. I donít think a damned one of us thought we would survive the assault.

When you come back to Orlando, let me know. I did promise GWAG I would take her book to you for signing, and I will, if it kills me.
Old 29 November 2017, 01:45
BTDT

Pics...

Brother...
Book arrived. I did what all Rangers do...I looked thru all the pics...will read the book while in Mexico. :-)
Thanks for including the "DZ" pic in the book...it was a great reunion!
Don't know if you remember...but Grenier was my Ranger Buddy in Florida phase.

RIP Doghead Lannon, Steve Slater, and Phil Grenier....

Keep well...and keep the faith Brother!

RB
Old 29 November 2017, 02:06
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
Hahaha, I am soooo happy that people are reading your writing, Steve. I try to promote it as much as I can. I hope the few pics I provided helped.

When I think of the fear I, and many others had, from our mission brief, I sometimes get overwhelmed. I donít think a damned one of us thought we would survive the assault.

When you come back to Orlando, let me know. I did promise GWAG I would take her book to you for signing, and I will, if it kills me.
It will be awesome to finally sit down with you.

Thank you for your support, Jay!
Old 29 November 2017, 02:07
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMUA View Post
Brother...
Book arrived. I did what all Rangers do...I looked thru all the pics...will read the book while in Mexico. :-)
Thanks for including the "DZ" pic in the book...it was a great reunion!
Don't know if you remember...but Grenier was my Ranger Buddy in Florida phase.

RIP Doghead Lannon, Steve Slater, and Phil Grenier....

Keep well...and keep the faith Brother!

RB
I did not remember that!

Thanks for buying, RB! I hope that you like it.
Old 29 November 2017, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
Thank you for buying it! I hope that it does not disappoint.
I'm 3/4 of the way through your book. I really dig your writing style. It's unfiltered, and goes straight to the gut. It's unembellished, raw and real.
And the pics are great. I especially like the picture of Ranger Lannon and his mom on page 260 of the physical book. I'm a visual guy, and that pic, subjects in silhouette, oddly composed, is a powerful image. I hope that writing it was as cathartic for you, as reading it is enjoyable for me.
Can't wait to pass it on to my son at OSUT graduation.
Will post an Amazon review when I'm finished.
Old 30 November 2017, 04:25
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmurphy View Post
I'm 3/4 of the way through your book. I really dig your writing style. It's unfiltered, and goes straight to the gut. It's unembellished, raw and real.
And the pics are great. I especially like the picture of Ranger Lannon and his mom on page 260 of the physical book. I'm a visual guy, and that pic, subjects in silhouette, oddly composed, is a powerful image. I hope that writing it was as cathartic for you, as reading it is enjoyable for me.
Can't wait to pass it on to my son at OSUT graduation.
Will post an Amazon review when I'm finished.
Andy Paulin sent me a pic of Steve Slater in silhouette like that that was positively wild. Except on investigation it was not Slater at all. Still not sure who it is. The photo remains unused in my archive.

Lannonís death still still wounds me deeply. Time is not repairing that pain.

Thank you for your kind comments. It is difficult for me to say whether this book was cathartic. I am still angry over so many things, and wounded by others.

While catharsis was among my initial motives in writing it, the need to immortalize Rangers became paramount.

Thank you for writing a review! We are now up to 32 5-Star reviews. Some of them are powerful.
Old 30 November 2017, 23:35
Been There Done That

Steve, I enjoyed reading your book and I think I was one of the first reviewers. Thumbs up all day, Brother.
I'm looking forward to your next book and hope that one day soon Mooch can get his published.
It is always a pleasure to read a true story by someone
A. Who was really there.
B. Doesn't try to make themselves out to be Gods gift to Rangering
C. Is brutally honest without taking cheap shots.
KATN Doc!
Old 1 December 2017, 04:44
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstag1/75 View Post
Steve, I enjoyed reading your book and I think I was one of the first reviewers. Thumbs up all day, Brother.
I'm looking forward to your next book and hope that one day soon Mooch can get his published.
It is always a pleasure to read a true story by someone
A. Who was really there.
B. Doesn't try to make themselves out to be Gods gift to Rangering
C. Is brutally honest without taking cheap shots.
KATN Doc!
Brian, I think that your review was the first!

Some of us have seen Mooch’s drafts published on his Facebook page. When he finally publishes his book it will be an instant classic.

I am really looking forward to it. I no longer think that he should wait for the AARs from the op to publish. The Pentagon can take forever, and Grenada era Rangers cannot outlast them.

Joe still works in the community, and he would have to submit his manuscript for review if he hopes to keep his job. It is likely that the censors would redact the hell out of it.

Mooch will see this: just publish it, Joe! Just do it.

ETA: Brian, I really appreciated that review! To have a review from a Grenada Raider like that is a rare, rare honor. Thank you very much!

Our new posting rules