SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Navy SEALs

Old 26 March 2020, 19:06
Been There Done That

Question POW Rescue - Dick Couch?

Reading the authors profile from Amazon on a new book he wrote.

About the Author
A 1967 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, Dick Couch served with the Navy Underwater Demolition and SEAL Teams. He led one of the only successful POW rescue operations of the Vietnam War while a platoon leader with SEAL Team One in 1970.

I donít recall hearing about this Rescue and a google search came up blank. Anyone share some light/history on this operation or a good link? Thanks.
Old 26 March 2020, 20:50
Been There Done That

Is this what you are looking for?
(Follow the links}
v/r
fkl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Couch
Old 26 March 2020, 22:09
Been There Done That

Still don’t see any links. Just another mention of it, and a link to POWs. But no info on a successful POW rescue.
Old 26 March 2020, 22:28
Been There Done That

Can neither confirm doing or not doing, but perhaps he may be be referring to a captured service member not in a PW camp located in North Vietnam. As 1970 is the year, it shouldn't be hard to confirm through the records which were declassified back in the 1990s.

His publisher publisher site discloses:

Dick Couch, a 1967 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, served aboard ship and with the Navy UDT and SEAL teams. While a platoon commander with SEAL Team One in 1970, he led one of the few successful POW rescue operations of the Vietnam War. On release from active duty in 1972, he served with the Central Intelligence Agency as a case officer. He retired from the Naval Reserve in 1997 as the senior reserve SEAL officer with the rank of captain. He is the author of six novels -- SEAL Team One, Pressure Point, Silent Descent, Rising Wind, The Mercenary Option, and Covert Action -- and the nonfiction works The Warrior Elite, The Finishing School, and Down Range. He lives with his wife, Julia, in central Idaho.

Also from a CSPAN Interview: https://www.c-span.org/video/?299318-1/qa-dick-couch

Dick Couch, a 1967 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, served aboard ship and with the Navy UDT and SEAL teams. While a platoon commander with SEAL Team One in 1970, he led one of the few successful POW rescue operations of the Vietnam War. On release from active duty in 1972, he served with the Central Intelligence Agency as a case officer. He retired from the Naval Reserve in 1997 as the senior reserve SEAL officer with the rank of captain. He is the author of six novels -- SEAL Team One, Pressure Point, Silent Descent, Rising Wind, The Mercenary Option, and Covert Action -- and the nonfiction works The Warrior Elite, The Finishing School, and Down Range. He lives with his wife, Julia, in central Idaho.
Old 26 March 2020, 22:51
Been There Done That

Project CHECO Report-- Escape and Evasion, SEA 1964-1971. This report is not absolute or entirely complete. There is possibility the 1970 POW rescue is referring to rescue of civilians or captured Army personnel. My research efforts focus on USAF Pararescue so I'm pretty much clueless of SEAL, Army SF, and Ranger and other activities in SEA during that conflict.

Last edited by johca; 26 March 2020 at 22:59.
Old 27 March 2020, 10:56
regular speed jerk, not a high speed jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Still donít see any links. Just another mention of it, and a link to POWs. But no info on a successful POW rescue.
I swear I read that story some where.
I saw this:

Quote:
Dick Couch, the Whiskey Platoon commander for SEAL Team One, readied his men just before dawn in a swamp close to where the POWs were incarcerated. There was an intense but brief firefight with the enemy soon retreating and the soldiers freed ó one of few successful such efforts during the entire Vietnam War.
https://magicvalley.com/news/local/ketchum-author-knows-war-from-the-inside/article_2181d818-2d86-583f-9d99-edb97d3e167f.html

But yeah, Now I can figure out which of the books it was in. I remember it leading me to try one or two of his other books.
Old 28 March 2020, 12:25

^^^^^^^^^

Remember reading about that also. Was it in The Warrior Elite? I vaguely remember him talking about it in 1 of his books.
Old 28 March 2020, 13:18
BTDT

Operation Bright Lite - A raid that rescued POWs. Just not American. SEALs took down a POW camp that was suspected to have Americans. When the mission was executed there were no Americans present. There were some of our allied South Vietnamese ARVN soldiers being held captive and were freed by the SEALs.
Old 31 March 2020, 17:18
Been There Done That

Here's a news article from 1972. Doesn't anwser the question but does give some interesting info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CIA-RDP80-01601R000300350082-4.pdf (175.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 1 April 2020, 18:46
Confirmed User

http://edmoise.sites.clemson.edu/pow.html
Scroll down

Operation THUNDERHEAD, in June 1972, was an effort to position US Navy SEALs where they might rendezvous with POWs escaping from Hanoi. Lt. Melvin Dry was killed during the effort to position the Navy SEALs.

Kevin Dockery, Operation Thunderhead: The True Story of Vietnam's Final POW Rescue Mission--and the Last Navy SEAL Killed in Country. New York: Berkley Caliber, 2008. viii, 294 pp. Mostly deals with the persistent efforts of John Dramesi (see above) to escape captivity in North Vietnam. Dramesi was one of those who had been planning to escape and rendezvous with the SEALs.

LCDR Edwin L. Towers, Operation Thunderhead: Hope for Freedom. La Jolla, CA: Lane & Associates, 1981. 205 pp. Towers flew helicopter surveillance flights during the operation and also had been involved in its planning.
Old 6 May 2020, 23:31
Been There Done That

Dick Couch was not on Thunderhead. I'm working on a history project regarding Thunderhead, and I was recently honored to attend the first an only Thunderhead reunion with 14 of the original crew.

Our new posting rules