SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 30 October 2017, 11:22
Shakin' the bush Boss

Maybe the 36 charging banana right cross ET137 smash draw left is just what the SEC needs.
Old 30 October 2017, 11:23
Confirmed User

I doubt Gruden will coach again outside the NFL. He is happy analyzing film, holding camps, and walking down the street to the Bucs facility....
Old 30 October 2017, 11:52
Calculating Infinity...

My Pack lost to a good ND team, but still stoked about this season. Winning 2/3 of our last 3 ranked opponents is awesome. Hoping to upset Clemson at home. Unfortunately our kicking game sucks as bad this year, as it did last
Old 30 October 2017, 11:56
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
I heard Jon Gruden was spotted in Knoxville.... Or was it Chip Kelly?
Every time there is a rumor of the Cleveland Browns firing their HC, someone always says "so-and-so was spotting looking at homes in Berea."
Old 30 October 2017, 12:02
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Maybe the 36 charging banana right cross ET137 smash draw left is just what the SEC needs.
LOL. There have been so many references to Jon Gruden + Spider 2 Y Banana that one day I looked it up. Few years ago there were Twitter parody accounts of Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
At the risk of turning this article into a snoozer, Spider 2 Y Banana can be dissected in a simple manner:

It’s a play action play. The ball is snapped, the quarterback fakes the hand off and can do one of two things: dump it off to the fullback rolling out in the flat or hit the tight end running a post route downfield. The fullback is the primary target. There are variations, but that is the gist, Fassel explained.

“Spider” is a form of protection called "slide protection." The first two initials of slide protection are 'S' and 'P', so spider is used in word association to disguise the call. “Two” means the play moves to the right side of the field. “Y banana" is the route combination, to signal the target receiver — in this case, the tight end — to run a banana-shaped route.

It’s all supposed to happen quickly, the base on which the West Coast system was formed, and is effective in hurry-up situations.
Old 30 October 2017, 12:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
It is truly a shame that they both can't lose. Oh well.

Perhaps Iowa State can play the role of giant killer again today by taking down the Horned Frogs. My remote will get a pretty good workout this afternoon, toggling back and forth between the two games.
Don't often get to crow about the Cyclones, so taking advantage of it now. They just doubled their all time record on wins vs top 10 ranked opponents, 2 in one month. We are often the 3rd best of the 3 Div 1 schools, and UNI is in the non-bowl division.
Old 30 October 2017, 12:34
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter1965 View Post
He's been out of coaching for about a decade now anyway. He's got outstanding football intelligence for sure but I'm not sure how that's going to translate into success in the SEC.
That approximates what was said of Steve Spurrier before he came to South Carolina.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 30 October 2017, 14:30

Steve Spurrier ruled the SEC for a decade so he had a bit more street cred than Chucky.
Old 30 October 2017, 17:15
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post

It must really suck to watch sports as you. You route against everyone, and you want to expand the playoffs just so that you can route against all these teams as they get a second opportunity to lose to teams they already lost against. Next you will be calling to expand the FBS so there can be more bowls.

I wish I could block every post you made in which you mention alabama or playoffs

Also, TCU, as I have said before, is over rated. The fact that Iowa State beat them gets them out of the way. Unfortunately, the big 12 or Pac need to be represented by someone.
I'm just the canary in the coal mine. Ignore me at your own peril.

As for the playoffs, the NCAA already has the perfect set up to expand the playoffs. All they need to do is use the current bowl system in place to fit in all the games, and the bowls themselves can bid to be the lucky participants. And, as an added bonus, they'd be able to eliminate a lot of those teams that go to a bowl game with 6-5 records. Win-Win.

Here's another suggestion for college football: create super conferences made up of the best teams in the country. That way, they'd all have to play each other for bragging rights and high poll rankings, instead of skating by on weak schedules overblown reputations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
Don't often get to crow about the Cyclones, so taking advantage of it now. They just doubled their all time record on wins vs top 10 ranked opponents, 2 in one month. We are often the 3rd best of the 3 Div 1 schools, and UNI is in the non-bowl division.
According to havok, TCU is overrated, so not much to crow about there.

They moved up to #14, which is a pretty good jump. The problem, of course, is that even if they should win out and maybe even move up into the top 10, they won't get a chance to compete for a national championship.

Which is a travesty.
Old 30 October 2017, 17:55
Confirmed User

And the Irish continue to roll. Brian Kelly may have actually saved his job after last seasons mess. It turns out re-vamping his staff may have done it. In addition, I think he got a talking to from the administration about his sideline antics. I am pretty good at reading lips. I can't remember how many times last season I caught him yelling. What the f**k at players. Seems much more in control now.
Old 31 October 2017, 19:20
Chuck Norris Approved

GA, AL, ND, and Clemson in the top 4 followed by OU and OHIO State.
Old 31 October 2017, 19:27

I think Wisconsin is ahead of everybody on your list but GA and AL.
Old 31 October 2017, 20:02
Chuck Norris Approved

These were just released tonight. That’s the actual first 6. Wisconsin and Miami are both undefeated but have not really played anyone yet.
Old 31 October 2017, 20:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat8541 View Post
GA, AL, ND, and Clemson in the top 4 followed by OU and OHIO State.
Referring back to my previous comments on this topic, this is why I don't bet on college football...

Old 1 November 2017, 07:27
Been There Done That

Well there is always next year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23031509_2367835256775707_1962953446013935391_n.jpg (49.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 1 November 2017, 09:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
These were just released tonight. That’s the actual first 6. Wisconsin and Miami are both undefeated but have not really played anyone yet.
Miami doesn't pass the eye test. Undefeated, but unimpressively so, and haven't played anyone of any significance. Weakest no-loss team.

I don't think anyone is surprised by the poll; and I fully expect at least one if not two of those teams not to be the final four at season's end. Just too much ball left to play. But IF those four teams stay the course and finish the season without any losses, then they are legit top four.
Old 1 November 2017, 11:36
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Miami doesn't pass the eye test. Undefeated, but unimpressively so, and haven't played anyone of any significance. Weakest no-loss team.

I don't think anyone is surprised by the poll; and I fully expect at least one if not two of those teams not to be the final four at season's end. Just too much ball left to play. But IF those four teams stay the course and finish the season without any losses, then they are legit top four.
GA or AL will have a loss at the end of season when, if, they meet in the SEC title game. As for the rest, it’s a crap shoot. Big games coming up for all teams for sure.
Old 1 November 2017, 11:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonyea View Post
Well there is always next year
at the end of the day, regardless of how they look now, the winner of Alabama/Georgia will have the number 1 seed and the other team likely will not be in the playoffs.

ETA: Just looking at Alabamas future scheudule, people talk about the "easy" SEC schedules, but Alabama has LSU, Mississippi state, and Auburn, followed by Georgia if they win each game.

Last edited by havok88; 1 November 2017 at 12:07.
Old 1 November 2017, 15:39

Quote:
I forgot that these were the initial "playoff" rankings, not the AP poll. Tells you just how much I care about the system in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
at the end of the day, regardless of how they look now, the winner of Alabama/Georgia will have the number 1 seed and the other team likely will not be in the playoffs.

ETA: Just looking at Alabamas future scheudule, people talk about the "easy" SEC schedules, but Alabama has LSU, Mississippi state, and Auburn, followed by Georgia if they win each game.
As far as I'm concerned, the rest of the season is the start of the "playoffs", and nothing would please me more than to keep seeing those top 4 spots shuffled and reshuffled. I really think Alabama could lose, and considering they are at the #2 spot right now, that would drop them right out of the hunt.

At least until the committee meets to reach their final ranking, at which time Alabama would vault from out of the picture back into the top 4. The committee just can't let go of Alabama, they're like a love sick teenager.
Old 1 November 2017, 15:42
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
nothing would please me more than to keep seeing those top 4 spots shuffled and reshuffled. r.
What have you got against UGA? They haven't won since 1980. I would think they would be the favorite of everybody who is always bitching about wanting new blood. But, maybe people just like to bitch, lol.

Our new posting rules