SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 25 July 2018, 10:26
0311/8651

I have way more than 10 years OTJ. Although it’s not that important to me to travel out of state, etc.
I assume that 10 years doesn’t have to be with one agency?

Last edited by CAP MARINE; 25 July 2018 at 10:28. Reason: M
Old 25 July 2018, 11:21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP MARINE View Post
I assume that 10 years doesn’t have to be with one agency?
For LEOSA....No, it doesn't have to be with one agency. Cumulatively ten years, sworn LEO, carrying a weapon, with arrest authority. To be honest, I don't know how they would calculate a Reservist. For example, many Reserve programs require X hours per month. If it's 8 hours, that's only 96 hours. 12 days per year. 4 months in 10 years. Or they may count 10 years in the Reserve as ten years. Not sure how that works.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 25 July 2018, 12:09
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I know that there were a lot of Cook County badges handed out back in the day, either for straight up money or for political favors to be named later.
It cost $5K to get hired back when Elrod (who was also a lawyer and a Judge) was the Sheriff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Always be wary of somebody flashing a badge, not because they might be a cop, but because they might not.
Happens all the time.

"True love knows the real thing, baby
There's nowhere to hide
It hears every word you never say
And sees through every lie"
Old 25 July 2018, 13:04
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
For LEOSA....No, it doesn't have to be with one agency. Cumulatively ten years, sworn LEO, carrying a weapon, with arrest authority. To be honest, I don't know how they would calculate a Reservist. For example, many Reserve programs require X hours per month. If it's 8 hours, that's only 96 hours. 12 days per year. 4 months in 10 years. Or they may count 10 years in the Reserve as ten years. Not sure how that works.
I'd be interested to know this..

I've only got 8 years full time under my belt as a LEO.. but I spent another 3+ years as a reserve and 1 as a "part time" LEO (paid per shift, had a regular schedule, etc).. I always assumed LEOSA was off the table (that the requirement was 10 years full time service).. and never looked any further into it..
Old 25 July 2018, 13:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
I'd be interested to know this..

I've only got 8 years full time under my belt as a LEO.. but I spent another 3+ years as a reserve and 1 as a "part time" LEO (paid per shift, had a regular schedule, etc).. I always assumed LEOSA was off the table (that the requirement was 10 years full time service).. and never looked any further into it..
From what I can see, it appears you are qualified to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_En...ers_Safety_Act

Qualified law enforcement officers
In 18 USC § 926B(c),[10] "qualified law enforcement officer" is defined as any individual employed by a governmental agency, state or local municipality, or private agency/firm who:

is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and [sic?] has statutory powers of arrest, or apprehension under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice); This includes state and public college/university police officers.
is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency which could result in suspension or loss of police powers;
meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;
is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.
Additionally, 18 USC § 926B requires that the individual must carry photographic identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is employed that identifies the employee as a police officer or law enforcement officer of the agency.

On-duty status determines LEOSA-eligibility.[dubious – discuss] Thus, as long as the person meets the definition of "qualified law enforcement officer" in an on-duty capacity, whether an officer is a full-time, part-time, auxiliary, or reserve peace officer is not relevant in determining whether a person is a "qualified law enforcement officer" under LEOSA. LEOSA's definition of "qualified law enforcement officer" does not include a requirement that a person have law enforcement authority off-duty.[19][20][21]

Qualified retired law enforcement officers
In 18 USC § 926C(c),[11] "qualified retired law enforcement officer" is defined as an individual who:

separated from service in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer;
before such separation, was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and had statutory powers of arrest or apprehension under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);
before such separation, served as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 10 years or more; or separated from service with such agency, after completing any applicable probationary period of such service, due to a service-connected disability, as determined by such agency;
during the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers, as determined by the former agency of the individual, the State in which the individual resides or, if the State has not established such standards, either a law enforcement agency within the State in which the individual resides or the standards used by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State;
has not been officially found by a qualified medical professional employed by the agency to be unqualified for reasons relating to mental health and as a result of this finding will not be issued photographic identification; or has not entered into an agreement with the agency from which the individual is separating from service in which that individual acknowledges he or she is not qualified under this section for reasons relating to mental health and for those reasons will not receive or accept photographic identification;
is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.
Additionally, the individual must carry either:

photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer and indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training as established by the agency to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or
photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer; and a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State or a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State to have met the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training, as established by the State, to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or if the State has not established such standards, standards set by any law enforcement agency within that State to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

-ZZ Top
Old 25 July 2018, 13:22
Administrator

So, it looks like it's really up to the last Agency you were employed by as an LEO as to how that time is calculated.

-ZZ Top
Old 25 July 2018, 21:46
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
So, it looks like it's really up to the last Agency you were employed by as an LEO as to how that time is calculated.
This is my understanding of the law.

This discussion gets interesting when you start talking about “sheriffs posse” vs “reserve deputy”. There are a few SOs with “posses” (commissions handed out most likely for political contributions) around here.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 25 July 2018, 21:52
Shakin' the bush Boss

No Tonto, I said posse.
Old 25 July 2018, 22:14
0311/8651

About 2 years ago a reserve deputy in okla with not much training, a man with financial means, he accidentally shoots a bad guy instead of tasing him. Deputy goes to prison. There are those that do have years OTJ!!!
Old 25 July 2018, 22:42
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
No Tonto, I said posse.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 26 July 2018, 16:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Brother,
Any time spent in training (even if not yet sworn) can be counted to wards the 10 years qualifying service. Time at FLETC, FBI academy, Postal Inspectors school.
When they changed LEOSA to include those with Title 10 apprehension authority (military cops) that question of reservists came up at DoDIG and Personnel over in the Pentagon - both, some might ask? I know but "yes" for reasons too complicated to go into now.
IIRC the decision was that so long as the reservist was complying with reserve obligations, each year spent in the reserves was counted as a full year of your qualifying service. No points, hours, or days on a/d. Just a year for a year full credit.

I understand but can't link to the fact the Air Force issued about 1,500 LEOSA credentials to AF active, Guard and Reservists.

I had already departed DoD but there is a regulation/instruction out there for how to apply for the DoD LEOSA for those who qualify.
v/r
p
Old 26 July 2018, 18:38
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
For LEOSA....No, it doesn't have to be with one agency.
Talking to retirees, it sounds like the problem people using cumulative time from multiple agencies have is getting the last department (or any of the ones they've served with) to do the leg work and tally up all of their time. It's much simpler for a person who has all their qualifying time with the same department.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
I had already departed DoD but there is a regulation/instruction out there for how to apply for the DoD LEOSA for those who qualify.
http://le.nra.org/documents/pdf/law/...d-id-order.pdf

It looks like how you apply is dependent on your service.
Old 27 July 2018, 16:31
Been There Done That

I did an ATL on the current policy - the old DHS policy came back. This was before LEOSA was amended.

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...safety_act.pdf
Old 28 July 2018, 00:05
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Talking to retirees, it sounds like the problem people using cumulative time from multiple agencies have is getting the last department (or any of the ones they've served with) to do the leg work and tally up all of their time. It's much simpler for a person who has all their qualifying time with the same department.

I don't doubt it. I was lucky enough to get a nice lady at the Air Marshals to square me away.

-ZZ Top
Old 7 August 2018, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
It cost $5K to get hired back when Elrod (who was also a lawyer and a Judge) was the Sheriff.

Happens all the time.
Wow I must of slipped through, I was hired under Elrod and it didn't cost me anything!
Old 16 August 2018, 10:50
Rocket Surgeon

I have a supervisor who is horning in on a subordinate's trip to Boston for an investigation in lieu of the lead investigator's partner. His chief reason for going? He heard you can badge your way into Fenway with BPD for a Red Sox game. I've initiated Operation Shame Him Publicly.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 16 August 2018, 17:29
Policeman Officer

He's wrong.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 16 August 2018, 23:05
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
He's wrong.
On so many levels.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 17 August 2018, 00:51
Policeman Officer

You can go armed although I'm not sure that applies to out of state cops. It probably does but I'm not 100% on that. But getting in free, hell no. I assume Boston guys in uniform can but that's about it.

Old 17 August 2018, 10:32
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglework View Post
Wow I must of slipped through, I was hired under Elrod and it didn't cost me anything!
If you were actually going to work, that's one thing, if you just wanted the button to carry......

"True love knows the real thing, baby
There's nowhere to hide
It hears every word you never say
And sees through every lie"

Our new posting rules