SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 18 January 2019, 00:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
If you served in the US Navy, I think it is awesome if you build a model ship of the one you served on.
Along the same lines, I have both a CH47 and an MH47 model waiting to be built.
Old 18 January 2019, 07:17
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
If you served in the US Navy, I think it is awesome if you build a model ship of the one you served on.
There's a risk the model will have some inaccuracy (there was never a ---- there when I was on it...) that will gnaw and gnaw.

I once met the guy who casts some of the very tiny metal warships (the size used for very large floor war games) for the leading firm that sells them to hobby shops. He complained that his feedback was from accuracy-obsessed fans (including naval historians) was always about what he had gotten wrong on something that was about four inches long.
Old 18 January 2019, 08:52
Another pool cleaner

Inches matter.
Old 18 January 2019, 12:14
Researcher @ Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
There's a risk the model will have some inaccuracy (there was never a ---- there when I was on it...) that will gnaw and gnaw.
For the plastic ship models that's less of a problem these days as there's after-market details for things like boats, radars, and gun directors. Most ship structures are square or flat plate (i.e. no compound curves like a car hood) and are fairly easy to add or remove and there's lots of youtube videos on scratch building.

Of course, if you just want to plop pieces together this may be a problem, but it falls in the "how bad do you want it?" category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
He complained that his feedback was from accuracy-obsessed fans (including naval historians) was always about what he had gotten wrong on something that was about four inches long.
Oh, that's not too bad - there's a lot of discussion and complaints on the science fiction model boards about incorrect details and shapes on completely made-up vehicles!
Old 18 January 2019, 15:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by specwarnet View Post
Oh, that's not too bad - there's a lot of discussion and complaints on the science fiction model boards about incorrect details and shapes on completely made-up vehicles!
Oh, that's rich.

"What are you doing? You can't have an operational VX79 without a veeblefetzer and its powersource!"

"Oh, man, that's so yesterday! EVERYONE knows the upgraded VX79A1 did away with the old veeblefetzers and replaced them with the Omicron-9 with the ionized flatteraps!"

"For the mission, then. As long as he functions, I will humor him."
"If you don't humor him, you may find out how well he functions."
Old 22 January 2019, 00:37
killjoy

Sorry for the delay in response, my computer died and I had to get a new one(thread in tech).

I wanted to say thank you very much for the offers of help with this endeavor to make my boy's birthday special. I really do appreciate it very much.

We found a Hobby Lobby in a city a couple hours away and plan on taking a trip there soon to have a look around and see what's available and what he thinks he'd really like to pursue, and then go from there.

Thank you again for the advice and willingness to actually assist.
Old 22 January 2019, 14:27
Confirmed User

If you are making the couple hour run to Hobby Lobby, see if any other hobby stores are in the area.
Old 22 January 2019, 14:30
SOCNET Moderator

Ebay is the best place to find models that I know of.

Our new posting rules