Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 9 May 2017, 17:33
Been There Done That

Indianapolis Colt's hire former "Green Beret" leader...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-role-nfl-2017

Interesting.

I am interested though to see if his calculations really assisted the process of SFAS, or was just another bullet point for an OER. Has it really increased the number of "leaders in SF" or "outstanding" SF recruits? Always seemed to me that SFAS has a pretty good selection process the way it was, not just physically demanding as the article stressed, but also evaluating team work, initiative, psych profiles, etc.

But, I do like how the attributes used in selecting potential Special Forces soldiers is gaining traction in the sport's and business industries, to evaluate potential players.

I say make all the potential Indianapolis draft picks have to ruck up and go the distance, and do some log PT as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11 May 2017, 18:01
My ERB's on SOCNET

SFAS has done things right for a very long time. Since 1992 they have claimed that they could run it all on paper and hit the same results in Personnel Selection. If that sounds like hyperbole consider that in 2000 a PhD established that Neuropeptide Y levels (essentially the secret sauce to master stress inoculation) in SFAS grads vastly outpaced all other SOF personnel. Whatever else the program does well or poorly, they've been dialed in there for some time. So I'd be interested in knowing more about the officer in question's additions to the process based on that.
Old 11 May 2017, 18:37
Been There Done That

LTC Decker worked at CMK in the aftermath of the "10 Day Selection" debacle. While Decker did some good work, and deserves kudos, he was also set up for success since he was given the authority and flexibility to fix a program that had been all but destroyed in order to raise selection rates without concern for anything other than raising selection rates.
Old 11 May 2017, 19:03
Been There Done That

10 days?! When did they do that?

IIRC, it was like three weeks when did in 1991. And we did not even do the STAR land nav exam until later in Phase I in the SFQC (Phase "13" for us at the time ).

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 11 May 2017, 19:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
10 days?! When did they do that?
Ended in early 2009. Started a couple of years prior to that, not sure exactly when...did not work out well, as anyone could have predicted, but certainly resulted in a lot more folks getting selected...and then failing the Q, or going on to be less than stellar performers if they managed to finish the Q.

Our new posting rules