Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 12 February 2012, 19:39
Been There Done That

The only time I ever heard of RECONDO School was from a school ran out of FT Bragg. Now this was in the mid 70s. I was at Ft Lewis, I am not sure if the 9th IN Div ran a school or not. I do remember when our CSM it a point that the badge was no longer authorized to wear. Not sure if the Big guys got into a pissing contest over it or what. Pretty much disapeared after the late 70s.
Old 12 February 2012, 21:06
Authorized Personnel

I went to it around 1980 in Hawaii. I thought Recondo was a merger of Recon and Commando
Old 12 February 2012, 21:23
Preparing to defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
The only time I ever heard of RECONDO School was from a school ran out of FT Bragg. Now this was in the mid 70s. I was at Ft Lewis, I am not sure if the 9th IN Div ran a school or not. I do remember when our CSM it a point that the badge was no longer authorized to wear. Not sure if the Big guys got into a pissing contest over it or what. Pretty much disapeared after the late 70s.
Yeah, PNCOC-CA, superseded it in late '76. I had to go and look at my diploma and it was dated 12 November, 1976. We were told we were the 2nd or 3rd class to go through under the XIII Corps NCO Academy. It was 4 or so weeks long and I swore it was RECONDO renamed, especially as the Instructors tought at the other.

What I now see on that diploma as pretty cool is that Henry E. Emerson, LTG, signed it! Hank "Gunfighter" as Corps CDR was a kick in the ass era! Some bad, some great, more bad.
Old 12 February 2012, 22:21
Been There Done That

Interesting in that when I went through pre-SFAS back in 1991, it was a two week course run out at the old 82nd/18th Corps Recondo site.
Old 12 February 2012, 22:57
Confirmed User

Don't know about what all the other classes had, but my final was a patrol, not an ambush.

I have a bad case of CRS, but IIRC, most of the patches were designed and sewn locally, and were, of course, unauthorized.

Last edited by Davelrrp; 12 February 2012 at 23:01.
Old 13 February 2012, 12:11
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
Yeah, PNCOC-CA, superseded it in late '76. I had to go and look at my diploma and it was dated 12 November, 1976. We were told we were the 2nd or 3rd class to go through under the XIII Corps NCO Academy. It was 4 or so weeks long and I swore it was RECONDO renamed, especially as the Instructors tought at the other.

What I now see on that diploma as pretty cool is that Henry E. Emerson, LTG, signed it! Hank "Gunfighter" as Corps CDR was a kick in the ass era! Some bad, some great, more bad.
I was assigned to the 82d Recondo School most of '74. It fell under the 82d G-3 Schools Det. at that time.

The Schools Commandant was MAJ "Rock" Hudson. He and several of our instructors were chosen as the cadre that formed 1st Ranger Battalion when they were stood up that year.

Some of the former Recondo cadre you'll recognize are Bill Acebes, Fred Weekley, and Jesse Laye, all now-retired CSMs and RHOF members.

It was a no-nonsense, ball-busting course, and graduates could wear the patch only while in the 82d.

Because we taught reconnaissance and "commando" (raids, ambushes, etc.) operations, it was said the term "RECONDO" was a blend of RECOn and commanDO, although there was occasionally some lively debate around the old coal stove in the log cabin HQ building as to the "real" origin.

Many unit cdrs used it as a screening tool for slots in Ranger school. One of our students was a skinny E4 from an engineer unit whose CO had told him only if he made honor grad would he get a slot to Ranger school. I had the privilege of walking a patrol with him. Some people stick in your memory.

He made honor grad, got the slot, finished Ranger school, and went on to much bigger things.

Some here will know the hill named after him now at Ft. Benning - Hurley Hill.

RIP, SGM Hurley.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 13 February 2012, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Interesting in that when I went through pre-SFAS back in 1991, it was a two week course run out at the old 82nd/18th Corps Recondo site.
That camp had the sketchiest rapelling / rope-climbing tower I have ever seen. It appeared to have been constructed by Blind Melon Chittlin and his gang of drunken hacks, circa 1942 or so.

The climbing rope was (I think) an old fast rope, really fat and slippery. Coming back down was easy enough... :D

IIRC the sign out at Manchester Road said "Airborne Leaders Course" but everyone still called it the Recondo camp.

Good Times!
Old 13 February 2012, 15:56
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJWoody View Post
That camp had the sketchiest rapelling / rope-climbing tower I have ever seen. It appeared to have been constructed by Blind Melon Chittlin and his gang of drunken hacks, circa 1942 or so.
Built in the spring of '74 by XVIII Corps ()in time for the ROTC Summer Camp.

If you saw a penny nailed to the plank at eye level as you started to climb, I put it there.

It was gone in '97 when I visited, and the tower is gone now.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 15 February 2012, 12:52

Okay here is the dunce question-

Why haven't they brought this school back? More to the point the reduction the conventional M TOE of LRS\LRSU capability ... Is it because of UAVs or Sats?
Old 15 February 2012, 18:26

IIRC the First RECONDO course was set up in the 101st at Campbell when Westmoreland was the Div CG, Was a combination of Reconnaisace and Coimmando, and was used to train division troops.
Old 15 February 2012, 22:58
Authorized Personnel

Attended the 18th ABN Corps PNCOC-CA/ Recondo course in '83 when I was in the 82nd.

I thought that this was one of the finest junior leadership combinations that the Army ever had.

First you went to PNCOC-CA (for you younger guys, this was the predecessor to PLDC. the "CA" indicates that is a "combat arms only" course. No chicks or pogues.)

Then after six weeks (I think) you went straight into a 3 or 4 week Recondo school which was very similar to pre-Ranger. It was held out where the ROTC guys came for summer camp.

Very nice course to complete as a young Corporal.
Old 28 February 2012, 05:56

Did the Airborne Leader Course have any relation to Recondo? I went to ALC in 1990, and don'tr remember much other than having to swim under some like 20 feet of ice and barbed wire in a 2 foot deep mud obstacle.
Old 28 February 2012, 05:57

And there were still Recondo badges around, on buildings or towers or something.
Old 5 March 2012, 23:12
Confirmed User

sfmike
I copied two pictures showing 10+ insturctors posting together from from "Vietnam's Recon Commandos", Gung-Ho magazine, February 1985, vol. 5, no.46, p. 17-25. Halliwell wrote the article.
PM since I cannot post attachments currently.
Old 8 February 2015, 12:08
Confirmed User

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/atlanta/obituary.aspx?n=Henry-Everett-EMERSON&pid=174089881

EMERSON HENRY EVERETT EMERSON "Hank" A retired United States Army Lieutenant General, best known for being the commander of the 2nd Infantry Division in South Korea during the mid-1970s when Colin Powell served as a battalion commander, passed away February 4, 2015.
General Emerson, who was fraternally called "The Gunfighter" by his troops, was one of the most decorated officers in the history of the United States Army. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/atlanta/obituary.aspx?n=Henry-Everett-EMERSON&pid=174089881#sthash.kiqvcIV6.dpuf

- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.asp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post

Old 8 February 2015, 13:01
Preparing to defend

Thanks, Rockville, for the PM. RIP, Gunfighter, you were a hell of a guy.

I was selected to be his orderly for the day once. Sat around an outer office most of the day. But, come late afternoon, swinging through receptions and going to a boxing smoker at one of the field houses.

Also, a FOND memory, was the Friday he had the entire division assembled at the football field by Towle (IIRC). At the end of the talk he says to everyone (15,000 plus or minus paratroopers) and DivCdr Tom Tackaberry, "Tom, I haven't told you this, but, when I when I say dismissed, I want all you men to leave immediately and enjoy the weekend. DISMISSED!"

Funny as hell watching all the leadership (especially the 1SG's) to try to stop 15,000 mo-fo's!
Old 10 February 2015, 00:40
My ERB's on SOCNET

Time-honored tradition I guess...

http://projects.militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=3593

"Thomas Newman, who was later commissioned as an Air Force Officer, subsequently stated that he almost received an Article 15 Discipline because he failed to wear his aircrew helmet when he descended to the ground in this rescue."
Old 10 May 2015, 14:41
On the Extract Bird

Stopp700, as to your question, 9th Div at N Ft Lewis ran a Recondo School fall 1977 in abandoned railroad cars along the Puget Sound shore I believe one cycle only. Schwarzopf was 1st Bde commander and ordered it up. Curriculum was done before hand by Capt Howard A 2.75 Rangers (MOH while SF in Nam) Staffed with Vietnam era Ranger/SF and 2 Navy Seals. Must have a PT score of 280+ and run a 4 mile with gas mask on in combat boots and LBE under 30 minutes just to qualify. Class started with over 400 trying out and if I remember graduated 19. Three weeks and absolutely blew away Ranger School, SERE and any other school I went to for the nasties. And god I got to hate the 4 hr log drills after doing our morning swim in the Puget Sound. Frickin freezing cold. Never did dry out the whole time in school. They disbanded the course right afterwards. Said it got out of control for being sadistic. I just thought as a 18 yr old it was tough as nails. But hypothermia made a bunch get pulled out and the killing of a cow with a knife only, for our survival classes might have been to much. 3 of us got shipped to JOTC school in Panama the day we graduated and after we got back made us go to mountain warfare school right away in Alaska. I found that odd but never asked why. They then banned wearing of the patch when we got back. JOTC patch was banned later on also.
Old 10 May 2015, 17:29
Been There Done That

I was there at that time, I must of missed all of the fun...... See what happens when you are in the 2d BN?
Old 10 May 2015, 19:28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
He made honor grad, got the slot, finished Ranger school, and went on to much bigger things.
Yeah you could say that: http://www.usmountainranger.org/memo...001/hurley.htm

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Our new posting rules